Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Soldering batteries VS Deans Connectors? >

Soldering batteries VS Deans Connectors?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Soldering batteries VS Deans Connectors?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2005, 10:29 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (89%+)
Default Soldering batteries VS Deans Connectors?

How much of a gain can be had from soldering your batteries in vrs. using deans connectors on them. Thanks in advance.

DM
www.davidmayhewindustries.com
Old 07-07-2005, 10:34 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

there's a previous post before about this topic,
I for one is keen on trying direct soldering as I been running a 7 turn V2 lately and the resistance might drop and help the battery and speedo temps I hope.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:44 PM
Tech Master

corally type connector it's like mixng deans connector and soldering. You get the neatness of the less wires as if you were sodlering, but the convenince like deans.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:18 PM
Tech Master

I agree with axel.Corally tpye connectors good....I also use them.

But back to the topiic.If you have an extra component,its extra resistance,then you might not feel it,but its there. So with direct soldering,there is less resistance.Less resistance = more power and run time.
Old 07-08-2005, 12:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I've been soldering for years....I could care less about the miniscuel resistance between competition connectors...but soldering is just easy and makes you seem/look pro....
Old 07-08-2005, 07:21 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mafiaracers
I've been soldering for years....I could care less about the miniscuel resistance between competition connectors...but soldering is just easy and makes you seem/look pro....
Not only that but they are secure when soldered..
Plus I like cleaness of it all....
-Shookie <><
Old 07-08-2005, 07:48 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I used to run deans years ago because I had no way to solder at the track. As soon as I could solder at a track, I switched. I didn't notice a difference except that it is alot harded to make a soldered joint come apart than a connector. I've tried though
Old 07-08-2005, 08:35 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 103 (100%+)

The Deans connectors have the same resistance as the length of wire that they replace. I like the clean look of direct soldering so I avoid them. The corally plugs are awesome, but I would have to take them off to zap my batteries and that got annoying, so I went back to direct solder.
Old 07-08-2005, 10:38 AM
Tech Addict

Default Yes, but

One of the problems with advice offered here or on any RC forum concerns the meaning of "better" or "improve"
there are
1. changes which can help all racers. For example replacing bushings with bearings or replacing a 1500mah Nicad with a 3300 NIMH.

2. changes which primarily help the expert racers shave off .1 secs in nationally competitve events. Only running rubber tires 3 or 4 times.
Purchasing a battery rated at 1.18 not 1.17.

3. changes which theoretically might make a difference but there are no published objective tests that prove a difference. There may be subjective reports. Theoretically fewer decals and coats of paint will make your car lighter and faster. Theoretically a shorter wire between the receiver and the servo would decrease responce time.

One of the difficulties is that the RC community has a love hate relationship with objective tests. They love to have labels printed on their batterys with 3 decimal point accuracy, on the other hand if you ask someone to conduct an experiment to determine if in real life there is an actual detectable consistent lap time difference between 1.175 and 1.180 batterys you hear a list of reasons why a scientific double blind test is impossible.
When you read these forums it is very difficult to get an idea of the actual quantative differnces.
Old 07-08-2005, 10:54 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by mcsquish
harded to make a soldered joint come apart than a connector.
I've have more solder joints come apart/cause problems for me than I have connectors....(seriously) So I'm just sticking with the Corally connectors for now so I don't burn my chassis with the soldering iron
Old 07-08-2005, 11:35 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I want my car and myself look like a PRO RACER...thats why I solder my motor, esc and batteries wtihout plugs (of course, I do have a good and expensive iron).............I am sure the different betweeen soldering direct or using plugs are beyond my knowledge........but again, "ALL SHOW, and NO GO" for life....
Old 07-08-2005, 11:44 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by stiltskin
The Deans connectors have the same resistance as the length of wire that they replace.
A brand new connector does, but once you add the four solder joints into the mix, it adds some resistance.

I went from Deans to Corally style about two months ago. I don't really notice a difference between the two, but they are alot easier to solder up and look much nicer (but then again, how much of this hobby is about having a nice looking car? )
Old 07-08-2005, 03:07 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I always get a kick out of people that just have to hard-wire everything. Then you take a look at their solder connections and chuckle a bit more. Hard-wiring your batteries works, but it makes a mess of things. And all the time your heating and cooling the connections doesn't really help much either.

It's been proven several times that a quality connector won't be any slower than hard-wiring. I guess it's just up to you if you like burning your fingers...
Old 07-19-2005, 01:12 PM
Tech Adept

I solder because it keeps money in my pocket. I don't need to go and buy Deans plugs or Corally connectors or anything, for that matter. A good solder joint is "free" for me, other than the electricity used to warm my iron.

Last edited by handyrandyrc; 07-19-2005 at 07:41 PM.