Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
spool or diff, what difference will I notice in the front? >

spool or diff, what difference will I notice in the front?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

spool or diff, what difference will I notice in the front?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 12:08 PM
Tech Rookie

Default spool or diff, what difference will I notice in the front?

I have a Spec-R S1 that came with a spool up front. What would I notice if I replaced the spool with a diff? Do you drive the cars differently with one versus the other? As a newbie to this, would I notice much difference one way or the other?

Thanks. I have had very little exposure to TC so I am trying to learn.
Old 11-19-2013, 12:53 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

The spool will give you more acceleration out of the corners but less turn in and in general a car that will have tendency to understeer. A gear diff in front will give more turn in but less acceleration out of the corners. A happy medium is to run a gear diff with 2.5 million cst fluid in it to give slightly more turn in than a spool but still get acceleration out of the corners. Some people claim to be faster with one or the other but it is all down to personal preference. Best way is to try a gear diff in front and see how the car handles.
Old 11-19-2013, 12:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

The spool with be more aggressive out of the turns on throttle. You won't necessarily be slower with a diff up front, the car will drive differently in and out of the turns. I keep the spool on my S1 (21.5 car) and a tight dff on my tc6 (17.5 car). I go back and forth with tc6. Depends on my mood that particular day. Hope this helps!
Old 11-19-2013, 01:29 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

One thing to consider............. Your spool will likely weigh considerably less than a gear diff. This is rotating mass that directly affects the acceleration of your car.
Old 11-19-2013, 06:10 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Have you considered a one way? You get the initial turn in like a diff, but you can power out like a spool. You just have to be smother and lighter on the breakers.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

for me the gear diff smooth the car out made it ez to drive...but i like the pull that the spool gives out the corner

but right now im running a gear diff in both of my cars..17.5 & usgt 2.5mill in the front & 2k in the rear...imma try 1k in the rear & see how that feels
Old 11-19-2013, 07:28 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

If you are a new driver, a diff up front will make the car easier to drive, as the car will rotate though the corner better and not wash off speed because of the outer wheel biting in due to lack of power on in the corner. A spool needs more power on in corner to be effective, something most new drivers cannot do.
Old 11-20-2013, 01:13 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the replies. It does help.