R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric On-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road-2/)
-   -   TOP RACING Sabre Mini 4WD (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-road/771960-top-racing-sabre-mini-4wd.html)

Dan 11-14-2013 06:45 PM

TOP RACING Sabre Mini 4WD

Well, it finally hit the states. :nod: Mines is nearly done. :D

http://www.redrc.net/wp-content/uplo...abreMini-6.jpg

JoeyE 11-19-2013 01:01 AM

Mini car with a big price.

Dan 11-19-2013 12:47 PM

Yup...but I think I spent more on my VM2 trying to get it good. :(

I finished painting the CRX body I bought off you a while back for the car. :D

AngryRog 11-20-2013 09:09 AM

Who is carrying this car plus spares in US? The TOP USA site hasn't been updated since 2011???

firefoxussr 11-20-2013 11:07 AM

what wheelbase/s (in MM) are supported? overall width?

I think I might make that on-road Stratos after all.

Dan 11-20-2013 11:51 AM

Norcal Hobbies in Union City, CA should have this car on the shelf. You can also contact Top Racing USA (yes, their website is dated), and he might be able to get you one. My impression is it will be a fairly limited car.

As for wheelbase, I'm not sure what the minimum is, but I would say it is probably 208 or 210mm. I have it on the maximum wheelbase right now and its about 222-223mm, very close to my 225mm wheelbase M06R. I have a Tamiya 225mm CRX body mounted on mines right now and it fits pretty good. Width of car seems to be about on par with Tamiya M05/M06 width at 165mm. Tamiya and HPI mini bodies will fit great. ABC Hobby mini bodies will be a bit on the narrow side.

Car seems to be designed more around 55mm mini tires than the 60D of Tamiya mini tires.

odpurple 11-20-2013 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Dan (Post 12742626)
Norcal Hobbies in Union City, CA should have this car on the shelf. You can also contact Top Racing USA (yes, their website is dated), and he might be able to get you one. My impression is it will be a fairly limited car.

As for wheelbase, I'm not sure what the minimum is, but I would say it is probably 208 or 210mm. I have it on the maximum wheelbase right now and its about 222-223mm, very close to my 225mm wheelbase M06R. I have a Tamiya 225mm CRX body mounted on mines right now and it fits pretty good. Width of car seems to be about on par with Tamiya M05/M06 width at 165mm. Tamiya and HPI mini bodies will fit great. ABC Hobby mini bodies will be a bit on the narrow side.

Car seems to be designed more around 55mm mini tires than the 60D of Tamiya mini tires.

All correct Dan, thanks for filling everyone in.

TOP USA has kits in stock, we have been bringing them in in small numbers since the first FWD Mini has not sold well. There seems to be a lot more interest in the 4WD car and T.O.P. has plenty in stock at the factory.

You can order direct at [email protected] or from tqrcracing.com in Chino CA :cool:

bigb11 11-20-2013 07:06 PM

4 Attachment(s)
This is a great car, you will need nothing but a body and electronics. I own a HPI mini rs4, Xray mini, Yokomo mini, thisby far is the best one I have seen you do not to add parts to make it run it has the Top quality we are used to. People who know me know I do mini's and micros here in ny/nj/ct we will promote this car because it is that good.

firefoxussr 11-21-2013 11:40 AM

cool thanks for replies. this may be my next car. any chance this could be a 237mm wheelbase too?

Dan 11-21-2013 01:13 PM

Probably not. The driveshafts would be at an extreme angle. It would need a longer chassis and upper deck. Along with either a longer front or rear belt.

firefoxussr 11-22-2013 07:33 AM

Good point, thanks Dan.

bigb11 11-26-2013 09:28 PM

looking for fr/rr diff oils and motor, pinion.

billdelong 11-27-2013 03:26 PM

I am very much interested in hearing more about this car... does it already include all possible option parts or will I be nickel a dimed with other hop ups that need to be added for durability and performance... not really interested in the bling... just a good performance/value combination.

Safe to assume all hardware is metric with hex?

The phillips hardware on my ABC Genetic is a little disappointing, plus all the necessary hop ups kind of kill the value in that kit.

Dan 11-27-2013 07:09 PM

It really doesn't need anything out of the box unlike all the other mini 4WD cars out there. Maybe a tiny spur and a giant pinion if you're running 21.5 or 17.5 due to the ridiculously high internal ratio. (2:1)

I too picked up a used Genetic but then decided to not build it up since i would sink another $150 into it after it was all said and done.

There are guys at my track who have been running it box stock and have been doing fantastic with it. Some of the aussie guys have broken the stock steering arm on the center post but thats about it. The hardware is all metric and seems of much higher quality that the ones that came on the original Photon, which stripped easily.

billdelong 11-27-2013 08:10 PM

Thanks Dan, that's very reassuring... a couple of us are trying to revive the defunct "Cup Racer" class locally, but to open up the rules to allow other chassis platforms since HPI discontinued production of the Cup Racer. The spec rules were limited to a 540 Johnson 27T motor so that will more than likely continue to remain in effect.

My guess is that somewhere around a 4.2 FDR may be a decent starting point with the 27T brushed motor.

I guess you can say that I'm willing to be the guinea pig to test out a couple of platforms to see if any of them are worth running on a large outdoor asphalt track.