R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-09-2015, 06:03 PM   #61
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eR1c View Post
thinking of getting one of these for our open 4wd mini class.
Have you guys been able to get parts easily? I see TQR has some parts ...yet I don't see a lot like belts, chassis, etc.. are all parts available somewhere? My hesitation w/ purchasing is parts availability. What if TQR stops caring parts ..then am I stuck?

thanks,
TQ carries multiple kits from TOP so I doubt they will stop carrying them. TOP Racing USA also just put up a site for end users..

http://apexhobbies.3dcartstores.com

You can buy parts there as well
Old 01-09-2015, 06:43 PM   #62
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Thanks, that is helpful.
I may be picking one up very soon then.
Going to enter this in an open mini class this coming season.
eR1c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2015, 07:56 PM   #63
Tech Elite

Quote:
Thanks, that is helpful.
I may be picking one up very soon then.
Going to enter this in an open mini class this coming season.
http://www.ampdraw.com/category/167/TOP-Scythe

Ampdraw seems to carry some parts as well
Raman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 07:07 PM   #64
Tech Master

Thanks Raman!

My (used) sabre 4wd mini should arrive tomorrow.
I plan on sorting it all out over the next month or so before our club season starts up. It is nice to have these stores available should I need to replace anything.
Also have a new transponder and ESC on order for this build as well.

Old 01-29-2015, 09:07 AM   #65
Tech Master

Curious what gear ratios you guys are running ?
I put an 80t spur and 59tooth pinion in, but it was a real pita to get access to the motor mount screws and tighten everything up. I finally got it, but I dread changing the pinion gear again! -did you guys notice that the motor mount points are difficult to access?
Old 01-30-2015, 09:59 AM   #66
Tech Master

Quote:
TQ carries multiple kits from TOP so I doubt they will stop carrying them. TOP Racing USA also just put up a site for end users..

http://apexhobbies.3dcartstores.com

You can buy parts there as well
ApexHobbies does not seem to ship their products, ...they only sell for "In-Store" pickup. I've also sent three emails over the past month w/ zero reply. Checking them off my list.

Fortunately the part I need can be had at TQR.
Old 01-31-2015, 09:18 AM   #67
Tech Elite

Quote:
ApexHobbies does not seem to ship their products, ...they only sell for "In-Store" pickup. I've also sent three emails over the past month w/ zero reply. Checking them off my list.

Apex is having an issue withbtheir checkout. Call the number on the site or email them direct at topracingusa@yahoo.com

I had to do the same with my last order.
Old 01-31-2015, 09:32 AM   #68
Tech Elite

Quote:
Curious what gear ratios you guys are running ?
I put an 80t spur and 59tooth pinion in, but it was a real pita to get access to the motor mount screws and tighten everything up. I finally got it, but I dread changing the pinion gear again! -did you guys notice that the motor mount points are difficult to access?
I'm running an 82t with a pinion in the high 40s with a 21.5. It is tight.. In fact I may go down in gear, because it's still too fast
Old 01-31-2015, 03:29 PM   #69
Tech Elite

Quote:

Really sorry about that website, I have no control over it. As Raman said email us direct at topracingusa@yahoo.com or call 650-583-8898. This is where all the US inventory is. We're putting in more parts for the 4WD Mini as it seems it is growing in popularity!
Old 02-02-2015, 10:55 AM   #70
Tech Master

-Thanks OdPurple,
I will email directly for my order ..probably sometime later this week.
(I just need a few odds and ends as I get this Sabre Mini ready for next season).

As for the gearing, glad to hear that it is a tight fit (and it wasn't me). I was able to get it ...I am going to see how this runs and if need be gear down a few teeth, that will give me the extra 1/2mm i need of space too.

---
thanks guys. I do love the quality of this car, it is equal to my 1/10th TC ...something i've not seen in "true ten - 1/12th" scale.
Old 02-03-2015, 05:28 PM   #71
Dan
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

I think the trick I did was crank down hard on the lower motor mount screw, then put on the upper deck, then shift the top part of motor to right mesh, and crank down the top screw. LOL

It was the gearing we ran at old and new Norcal. Plenty of top end. Just make sure you run a cooling fan.

Not sure how big GP track is though. Might be able to drop down to a 57T.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 06:24 PM   #72
Tech Elite

Quote:
-Thanks OdPurple,
I will email directly for my order ..probably sometime later this week.
(I just need a few odds and ends as I get this Sabre Mini ready for next season).

As for the gearing, glad to hear that it is a tight fit (and it wasn't me). I was able to get it ...I am going to see how this runs and if need be gear down a few teeth, that will give me the extra 1/2mm i need of space too.

---
thanks guys. I do love the quality of this car, it is equal to my 1/10th TC ...something i've not seen in "true ten - 1/12th" scale.
I don't really have a class to run it here in town.. It's a parking lot race so rules are a little loose.

They usually mix 1:18 with 1:12 m chassis. I usually run my RWD M06. There are two guys who have ridiculous motors that I can't catch, otherwise I place consistently third. If I run the Sabre Mini it will not be fair.. But who says I need to be fair

I may also just enter it into a 17.5 beginner stock class and see how I do. Lol.

None the less, it's a keeper
Old 02-06-2015, 11:36 AM   #73
Tech Master

Quote:
I think the trick I did was crank down hard on the lower motor mount screw, then put on the upper deck, then shift the top part of motor to right mesh, and crank down the top screw. LOL

It was the gearing we ran at old and new Norcal. Plenty of top end. Just make sure you run a cooling fan.

Not sure how big GP track is though. Might be able to drop down to a 57T.
-Thanks Dan! (I am enjoying the car).
Old 03-30-2015, 03:15 PM   #74
Tech Elite

Had a blast with the Sabre Mini Friday night. Overall turn out was low and they ended up merging a few classes. I ended up in open stock TC. I was running Tamiya Alfa Romeo GTA body and M chassis radial S grip in rear and M grip in front. The car held its own. I had some impressive corner speeds.
Old 04-25-2015, 10:53 AM   #75
Tech Elite

Raced last night against 1/18s. For the first time I ran the Pit Shimzu Racing Inner Mesh on chassis rims. These tyres are awesome.. I ran 40 shore in front and 36 shore in rear with SXT 2.0. For insert I used sweep mini soft (pink). These tyres are 55D, so you lose some top speed, but I don't feel it's a big deal because the car is darn fast as it is.

For body I ran HPI BMW 2002. Placed first in first heat and Main. Did not finish the second, I broke a front arm.. Stupid really since I had the lead with lots of room.. Should have just taken it easy.

Car draws a lots of attention!