R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-27-2013, 09:46 PM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to bigb11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
It really doesn't need anything out of the box unlike all the other mini 4WD cars out there. Maybe a tiny spur and a giant pinion if you're running 21.5 or 17.5 due to the ridiculously high internal ratio. (2:1)

I too picked up a used Genetic but then decided to not build it up since i would sink another $150 into it after it was all said and done.

There are guys at my track who have been running it box stock and have been doing fantastic with it. Some of the aussie guys have broken the stock steering arm on the center post but thats about it. The hardware is all metric and seems of much higher quality that the ones that came on the original Photon, which stripped easily.
Dan, what are you using for diff oils, motor (17.5, 21.5), spur that comes with kit is 84. I thought about starting at 100 spur 25-30 pinion for 17.5.
PHAT QUAD RACING, HPI/HOTBODIES, RATZAS, DARKSIDE MOTOR SPORTS, PARMA, Brown Engineering, ROBITRONICS, RC AMERICA, PANTHER, TEKIN, TEAM HOLY ROLLER, Rev Tech/Epic, RC AFRICA, HITEC www.browneng.org, DE wheels
bigb11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 09:56 PM   #17
Dan
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigb11 View Post
Dan, what are you using for diff oils, motor (17.5, 21.5), spur that comes with kit is 84. I thought about starting at 100 spur 25-30 pinion for 17.5.
The guys doing well at our track are running the kit setup of 500K in front and 2K in the rear.

I have fitted mines with a front spool from the Photon to experiment. Minor mod to the spool is grind down the 4 ridges on the sides so the bearings can sit inside more, so it fits between the sabre mini bulkheads properly.

If you are running 55mm diameter tires, you would seriously undergeared with 100 spur and 25-30 pinion.

For 21.5, I'm running a 80T 64p spur gear with a 59T pinion. For 17.5, I'd drop it down 4 or 5 teeth for the pinion.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 01:05 PM   #18
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

I just got one from my LHS Norcal hobbies. Priced at $275. I know a local guy who got his in HK for around $290. Looking forward on the build.
sipaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 12:29 PM   #19
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)

Stock setup is 500k in the front diff. Anyone else use some other stuff to thicken or lock the front. Local guy at the lhs said use silicone ear plugs. Cut them up in small pieces the fill up the diff and add some diff oil. I just finished building the Sabre and will run it first with the recommended setup.
sipaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 11:56 PM   #20
Tech Adept

hi guys,

i've got this wonderful kit from santa
i've never had a T.O.P. kit before. what do you recommend which spare parts i should buy before starting the first race? e.g. C-Hubs , ....
thanks for your suggestions.
it will be used for 17,5t blinky races.
at the moment i already ordered the aluminum bell crank

and , did anybody try to use "normal" Touring car tires on it, e.g. ride 26007 a.s.o.?

thanks once again
Aitutaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 02:30 PM   #21
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Jonnydb Send a message via Skype™ to Jonnydb

Quote:
Originally Posted by sipaboy View Post
Stock setup is 500k in the front diff. Anyone else use some other stuff to thicken or lock the front. Local guy at the lhs said use silicone ear plugs. Cut them up in small pieces the fill up the diff and add some diff oil. I just finished building the Sabre and will run it first with the recommended setup.
i tested the car today and you can try 1million i tried and i liked!
Old 12-28-2013, 02:35 PM   #22
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to Jonnydb Send a message via Skype™ to Jonnydb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aitutaki View Post
hi guys,

i've got this wonderful kit from santa
i've never had a T.O.P. kit before. what do you recommend which spare parts i should buy before starting the first race? e.g. C-Hubs , ....
thanks for your suggestions.
it will be used for 17,5t blinky races.
at the moment i already ordered the aluminum bell crank

and , did anybody try to use "normal" Touring car tires on it, e.g. ride 26007 a.s.o.?

thanks once again

i should have (like others) C-Hubs, Front and Rear Suspension, Steering block, Rear hub the the other parts dependece how you drive

i used the solaris tires for mini and works great!
Old 12-30-2013, 12:28 PM   #23
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnydb View Post
i should have (like others) C-Hubs, Front and Rear Suspension, Steering block, Rear hub the the other parts dependece how you drive

i used the solaris tires for mini and works great!
Thanks
already ordered these things.

now i am struggling to get touring car tires fit properly on this car. why? i want to start against the 418s, bd7s, sakuras a.s.o in our club races with this cool saber 4wd *gg*
Old 12-30-2013, 12:41 PM   #24
Tech Adept

in addition i ordered stronger bellcranks: (original from TOP and one from king headz)
Attached Thumbnails
TOP RACING Sabre Mini 4WD-khz-top-011.jpg   TOP RACING Sabre Mini 4WD-trp-po-pch025rd.jpg  
Old 12-30-2013, 02:14 PM   #25
Dan
Tech Elite

I've been pretty rough on my car (traction rolling hard too). I've broken two front C-hubs so far and bent a CVD dogbone. The car is developing slop a little faster than I'd like too. Thinking of replacing the stock plastic ball connectors and ball ends with something else.

When I'm not having problems with traction rolling or any other weird issues, it handles like a dream.
Old 12-30-2013, 02:14 PM   #26
Dan
Tech Elite

I've been pretty rough on my car (traction rolling hard too). I've broken two front C-hubs so far and bent a CVD dogbone. The car is developing slop a little faster than I'd like too. Thinking of replacing the stock plastic ball connectors and ball ends with something else.

When I'm not having problems with traction rolling or any other weird issues, it handles like a dream.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:57 PM   #27
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

My only complaint is finding a freaking body. Jeez what a pain. So far only bodies I've found are all in Asia. Other than that car is fantastic. Looks awesome.

Hi Dan!
Old 01-15-2014, 08:56 PM   #28
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

pretty good selection of 1/12 bodies in stock here in the US:

http://abchobbyusa.com/110miniscalebodyshells.aspx
billdelong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014, 10:04 PM   #29
Dan
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by meddman View Post
My only complaint is finding a freaking body. Jeez what a pain. So far only bodies I've found are all in Asia. Other than that car is fantastic. Looks awesome.

Hi Dan!
Yo Steve! Have you tried TQRC? They have a good selection of mini bodies and ship from socal. The Sabre can run in 210mm and 225mm wheelbase configuration.
Old 01-16-2014, 06:47 AM   #30
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Yeah I've tried them. They are sold out of every thing except mini van looking bodies and bmw which is 225mm. I'll order that one. Wasn't sure if it would fit .