Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
basic setting and tips 4 low grip track >

basic setting and tips 4 low grip track

basic setting and tips 4 low grip track

Old 07-08-2005, 09:44 AM
Tech Adept

Default basic setting and tips 4 low grip track

Helo,

I goth a race to go next weekend and its a VERY LOW GRIP track.What do you guys so on your car to geth him good?Are you driving soft-medium-hard springs?I think its better to drive a flexibel chassis? Are you guys use roll bars on your car to drive a low grip track?
Old 07-08-2005, 09:53 AM
Tech Adept

Location: San Marcos/San Antonio, Tx but chillin in Orlando, FL for now.

It really depends on the car for a specific setup. But in general, yes, you will want a softer setup. Soft springs, light shock oil, and flexible chassis helps get the weight of the car on that outside tire to give you more traction. A spool might not be a bad idea also.

--Mike
Old 07-08-2005, 10:05 AM
Tech Regular

Make everything soft. Soft springs, soft oil, angled shocks, flexible chassis, more droop.
Old 07-08-2005, 10:07 AM
Tech Regular

As for rollbars, try going without them and then add them if needed. I sometimes use a front rollbar when the rear end is loose.
Old 07-08-2005, 10:57 AM
Tech Adept

THX guys, i run a Schumi Mi2 .I tried already with soft springs but the car when exiting corner is loose when go on power.What can i do to make this better?
Old 07-08-2005, 11:03 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by belgianchamp
THX guys, i run a Schumi Mi2 .I tried already with soft springs but the car when exiting corner is loose when go on power.What can i do to make this better?
Try a front roll bar.
Old 07-08-2005, 11:20 AM
Tech Adept

Location: San Marcos/San Antonio, Tx but chillin in Orlando, FL for now.

Or stiffen the front springs or soften the rears, angling the rear shocks in a bit would be some thing to try. A roll bar on the front is a good start though.
--M
Old 07-08-2005, 11:26 AM
Tech Regular

add some rear toe.
Old 07-08-2005, 11:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

If its not too bumpy, try a little bit of anti-squat and run a front diff if you are loose coming out of corners.
Old 07-08-2005, 12:10 PM
Tech Adept

I'm gonna test it tommorow,i will let you know wat is good and what is bad. THX already !!!!Would it be better to run higher than normal ( 6front- 6,5 rear)There are also some corners in like Reedy Race in Europe.(EURO warm-up) off-camber corners that means that the inside off the corner is higher than the outside,Are there some tips to make it better?
Old 07-08-2005, 06:01 PM
Tom
Tech Regular

Try dialing the mid corner steering by laying (more) or standing up (less) the front shock till you have enough rotation around the apex. Balance the entry with rear toe in, normally i keep this pretty lose cause i like the corner speed of low toe angles, try a hard front spring can help oversteer into the corner as well, but mainly control with the throttle. Balance the car over all (mid to exit) with rear shock angle. If your at a race and the track conditions change. rear shock angle is the first the i look at, quick fix.

Generally a soft spring is good, but if there are direction changes you'll need to bump it up abit.

one of my local tracks is low grip and low speed, i found all the roll centre and spring changes have little impact in these conditions, but balance is key.
Old 07-10-2005, 05:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by belgianchamp
hi also try running more droop at the front so you can get more weight transfer to the rear.
If that doesnt help much try looking at adding abit more rear toe in.
with the ride height if you run 6 front 6.5 rears you may loose abit of speed on the straight and in the corners so i think many will not advise you to do so but you can always try in one heat to compare you times. but i think you should try that last.
hope this helps.
Old 07-10-2005, 05:21 PM
Tech Fanatic

In case no one has mentioned, soft inserts. Also the same tires ppl run at that track. Otherwise, you wont even be in the ballpark to start setting your car.
Old 07-11-2005, 02:41 PM
Tech Elite

Make sure you run 3 degrees of toe in at rear too. It will add some drag but give you the friction needed for more traction and help to keep it from spinning out. Run softest springs with slightly stiffer in the front and shocks angled and all the way out.
Old 07-11-2005, 02:43 PM
Tech Elite

High roll center too, just make sure overall you are balanced. If the car just drifts instead of hooking or spinning out and you are at the softest, then you are headed in the right direction.