R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-24-2014, 05:27 PM   #1231
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAGuy View Post
On Bob’s RROC 6.2 setup, he lists the front gear diif oil as “silicone ear plugs”. Can someone let me know what that is? And inner/outer ball and shims is listed as “silver +1” etc. What does silver refer to? Thanks!
silver refers to the color of the ball stud. silver or black. I think the silver is a little taller than the black.
DOTMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 06:56 PM   #1232
Tech Apprentice

can someone tell me the pros and cons of using shock fluid or diff fluid for rear diff and what weight would be good for 25.5 vta?
gearit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 08:23 PM   #1233
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearit View Post
can someone tell me the pros and cons of using shock fluid or diff fluid for rear diff and what weight would be good for 25.5 vta?
As compared to a ball diff? I believe there are many videos regaurding this on youtube as well as many blogs the simple version is its much better and easier to tune with. Start with 2000 weight and if you need more onpower steering try 3000 keep in mind going up in weight will increase onpower steering but decrease lower speed steering, as well may cause the rear end to slide low speed, or at the beginning of acceleration.
thecaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 09:33 PM   #1234
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearit View Post
I would go with 2000wt oil in the rear
Old 07-24-2014, 10:12 PM   #1235
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by onroad racer View Post
Here is the link to the ear plugs, this is what Rick uses

http://www.drugstore.com/products/pr...rk=g&matchtype
LAGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:13 PM   #1236
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOTMAN View Post
silver refers to the color of the ball stud. silver or black. I think the silver is a little taller than the black.
Thanks! I bought the kit used and still figuring everything out
LAGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 10:18 PM   #1237
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildManDriving View Post
Hello all,
I have just purchased and started build my first AE TC getting the 6.2. I'm most likely have many questions to follow but start with are there other brands on gear diff's that fit and does the TC6 ball diff fit the .2?

Thanks
M.Ellis
The. AE gear diff is quite good so why ask about aftermarket? You should be able to fit the ball diff but it may bind but once again... Why use a ball diff when the gear diff has proven to be the better choice?
The car is quite competitive right out of the box. There are some bits and pieces that make the car more durable and perhaps more consistent but the best advice is to take your time, build it right and use the box stock setup to learn the car then work with some of the team setups if the track conditions are similar.
R-Factor RC- TC4-R, P8 PanCar
Not as Fast as I want to be but too old to Whine about it... 8-)
YoDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 11:04 PM   #1238
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoDog View Post
The car is quite competitive right out of the box. There are some bits and pieces that make the car more durable and perhaps more consistent but the best advice is to take your time, build it right and use the box stock setup to learn the car then work with some of the team setups if the track conditions are similar.
I ran the out of the box normal manual setup on my track (medium high grip hot asphalt) and i could not keep a solid line. It would push in turns like crazy both on and off power. I tried changing my driving style all the time and still couldnt get it. After hours of changing the shock angles, roll center geometry, droop, different oils (diff and shock), springs, roll bars, wheel base, and some help from WTCC here on the forums i was finally able to get it to stick on the track. Im sure the outcome is different for everyone depending on their track but for me it was nothing but a headache. But on a positive note it was a great learning experience considering iv never ran on road before.
GizmoTLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 12:17 AM   #1239
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAGuy View Post
Thank you, but how do you use these inside the gear diff?
He said he just cuts them up and work them into the diff, i tryed and i would prefer oil rather then the ear plugs

Old 07-25-2014, 04:03 AM   #1240
Tech Master

I want to share some small changes.

One thing that is a little annoying, are the oversized lipo brace dimensions. My Reedy battery has around 2mm space in every direction. Together with only one stopper in the middle of the chassis the battery can rub against the belt. The tape should hold the battery tight, but it is not working in every situation. I dremeled two cf braces. The rear one has an inside stopper added and the dimensions are optimized:

Another change applies on the steering. The 6.2 steering arms are located high compared to some other TCs. Fitting the steering brace under the arms will lead to belt rub. Turning the steering arms around and then fit the brace underneath will work perfectly. The next problem that occurs is the steering links rub against the inner armmounts. I was somehow lucky, as I drive the shortest possible wheelbase in front. This way it works

And my new body

Old 07-25-2014, 11:02 AM   #1241
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Wouldn't flipping the steering rack over like that have a significant affect on ackerman?

Also, how are you running your wires under the top plate and not have them affect the flex. Every time I've tried to do that the wires end up touching when it flexes.
Old 07-25-2014, 01:41 PM   #1242
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnage9270 View Post
Wouldn't flipping the steering rack over like that have a significant affect on ackerman?
No. Ackermann is not defined in height difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnage9270 View Post
Also, how are you running your wires under the top plate and not have them affect the flex. Every time I've tried to do that the wires end up touching when it flexes.
I use smaller diameter wires than normal, as it makes no difference on track (length makes the difference) for blinky stock. And I filed away the egde on both sides of the topdeck to get a wider gap.
wtcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 02:30 PM   #1243
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoTLR View Post
I ran the out of the box normal manual setup on my track (medium high grip hot asphalt) and i could not keep a solid line. It would push in turns like crazy both on and off power. I tried changing my driving style all the time and still couldnt get it. After hours of changing the shock angles, roll center geometry, droop, different oils (diff and shock), springs, roll bars, wheel base, and some help from WTCC here on the forums i was finally able to get it to stick on the track. Im sure the outcome is different for everyone depending on their track but for me it was nothing but a headache. But on a positive note it was a great learning experience considering iv never ran on road before.
GizmoTLR you have a PM.

I ran my car stock set-up and so far so good I will be at the track tomorrow for more testing.
Bubblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 02:45 PM   #1244
Tech Addict

Nice mods to the TC6.2, WTCC!
Old 07-26-2014, 10:05 AM   #1245
Tech Adept

Has anyone tried the green rear springs vs the silver? If so would the greens be better for a low to med asphalt track that has 180 degree corners and is very technical? I am running 30wt oil in the front with 30 in the rear with front and rear gear diffs.

Thanks Travis
TC6.1
Trav515 is offline   Reply With Quote