R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-09-2014, 12:55 PM   #1096
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I finally had the time to test the "active rear suspension" conversion. You know I was sceptical, but it works! On my first run I could already better my personal lap record by two hundreth from 12.64s to 12.62s. It makes the car turn better without giving oversteer. Combined with some small setup changes (long rear camber links and RSD TC6.2 springs white in the rear and light blue in front), I could reduce my personal best to 12.39s.
So from my point of view I can recommend the conversion.
My 6.2 ran 17.5t blinky with VTEC G32 tires on a medium grip asphalt track.

@Christian: You should find someone who sells your awesome products in Germany

Last edited by wtcc; 06-10-2014 at 01:26 PM.
wtcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 01:05 PM   #1097
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtcc View Post
I finally had the time to test the "active rear suspension" conversation. You know I was sceptical, but it works! On my first run I could already better my personal lap record by two hundreth from 12.64s to 12.62s. It makes the car turn better without giving oversteer. Combined with some small setup changes (long rear camber links and RSD TC6.2 springs white in the rear and light blue in front), I could reduce my personal best to 12.39s.
So from my point of view I can recommend the conversation.

What toe did you end with vs what you where you
Using?
thecaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 01:24 PM   #1098
Tech Master

Toe in on the setup board is 1.5*. With full deflected spring it reduces to 0.5* on the outside wheel.
Old 06-09-2014, 01:56 PM   #1099
Tech Master

Quote:
Toe in on the setup board is 1.5*. With full deflected spring it reduces to 0.5* on the outside wheel.
What toe where you Using before? 1.5?
Old 06-09-2014, 03:33 PM   #1100
Tech Master

Before conversion?

Last edited by wtcc; 06-10-2014 at 01:26 PM.
wtcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 04:01 PM   #1101
Tech Master

Quote:
Before conversation?
Yes what toe where you Using before you made the mod? That way if I wanted to do it I know a good starting point for toe.
Old 06-09-2014, 05:23 PM   #1102
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Quote:
I finally had the time to test the "active rear suspension" conversation. You know I was sceptical, but it works! On my first run I could already better my personal lap record by two hundreth from 12.64s to 12.62s. It makes the car turn better without giving oversteer. Combined with some small setup changes (long rear camber links and RSD TC6.2 springs white in the rear and light blue in front), I could reduce my personal best to 12.39s.
So from my point of view I can recommend the conversation.

Did you notice that XRay has been working on this idea too? It looks like they will have a conversion out pretty soon for their cars. I'd be interested to see if this starts to become a trend in TC design going forward.
R-Factor RC- TC4-R, P8 PanCar
Not as Fast as I want to be but too old to Whine about it... 8-)
YoDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 01:23 AM   #1103
Tech Master

@thecaptain: I had 1.5* before which gave the car a little too much oversteer for my liking.

@YoDog: I recognized Xray and Serpent working on it and thought I give it a try on my 6.2 as I already had real rear steering on my TC6 4WS and liked some of its functions. But on the 4WS the rear steering was too strong. The bumpsteer version seems to give the right amount of toe change and is not asking for a whole new setup
Old 06-10-2014, 03:05 AM   #1104
Tech Apprentice

I did a study thesis on some Anti-squat/kick-up and just want to mention, that if the car has bumpsteer (active steering is a marketing phrase) on the rear and the steering has a positive offset (german: Lenkrollradius) the Anti-squat on the rear is affected quite a lot.
If set up to generate Toe-in on bump then you increase the anti-squat effect, if the pickup points of the steering linkage are set up to get toe-out on bump then you decrease the anti-squat effect or even create pro-lift.

@wtcc: Do you really set up the bumpsteer to toe-out on bump ? Did you already try the opposite?

If you want less drag on the straight and still the right grip on the rear in corners, i would set up the pickup points to get toe-in on bump (mehr Vorspur beim Einfedern).
Worst87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 03:50 AM   #1105
Tech Master

Quote:
@thecaptain: I had 1.5* before which gave the car a little too much oversteer for my liking.

@YoDog: I recognized Xray and Serpent working on it and thought I give it a try on my 6.2 as I already had real rear steering on my TC6 4WS and liked some of its functions. But on the 4WS the rear steering was too strong. The bumpsteer version seems to give the right amount of toe change and is not asking for a whole new setup
Alright thank you. Looking forward to try that once I get the rest of my car put back together. Please post any more of your findings.
Old 06-10-2014, 12:24 PM   #1106
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worst87 View Post
I did a study thesis on some Anti-squat/kick-up and just want to mention, that if the car has bumpsteer (active steering is a marketing phrase) on the rear and the steering has a positive offset (german: Lenkrollradius) the Anti-squat on the rear is affected quite a lot.
If set up to generate Toe-in on bump then you increase the anti-squat effect, if the pickup points of the steering linkage are set up to get toe-out on bump then you decrease the anti-squat effect or even create pro-lift.

@wtcc: Do you really set up the bumpsteer to toe-out on bump ? Did you already try the opposite?

If you want less drag on the straight and still the right grip on the rear in corners, i would set up the pickup points to get toe-in on bump (mehr Vorspur beim Einfedern).
Thanks for the explanation Worst87! I am driving a pro squat setup in the rear. The rear steering in my understanding should have the opposite direction than the front to help the car turning (not to take grip away). By having the rear steering in the same direction it would handicap the car driving a circle.
But car physics are complex and your explanation seems reasonable, too.

I haven't tried it the other way, yet. So I can't say how it works. Just one way to find out. Like Germans say:"Probieren geht über studieren."
Old 06-10-2014, 09:10 PM   #1107
Tech Adept

Hey Guys, been out of racing for a while anything new or big i need to do to my tc6.2 that will make it better ???
Old 06-11-2014, 07:18 AM   #1108
Tech Fanatic

Do anybody know if the 6.2 & the exotek chassis are the same??..interchangeable
starrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 01:03 PM   #1109
Tech Adept

Default ETS

offtopic
======

Rick: registration for ETS in Trencin is open. 110 entries in less than an hour...

Christian
Old 06-11-2014, 01:49 PM   #1110
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrx View Post
Do anybody know if the 6.2 & the exotek chassis are the same??..interchangeable
If you're talking about the TEK chassis with the split blocks, it doesn't look like it, remember that was designed for the 6.1 motor mount which is completely different, and it looks to use the single bellcrank vs the dual on the 6.2