R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-25-2014, 04:07 PM   #496
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to mschumi101

Why not stiffen the suspension to reduce roll? It would help keep weight from transferring to the outside and keep the car more planted. I've always run my cars very stiff, similar to actual race cars, and have had great success in high grip situations. When there is less grip I soften the suspension to allow weight to transfer to the front or outside of the car, increasing grip.
-Ted
mschumi101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 07:41 PM   #497
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschumi101 View Post
Why not stiffen the suspension to reduce roll? It would help keep weight from transferring to the outside and keep the car more planted. I've always run my cars very stiff, similar to actual race cars, and have had great success in high grip situations. When there is less grip I soften the suspension to allow weight to transfer to the front or outside of the car, increasing grip.
It's all situation dependent. I've had it go both ways, where softening the car in some situations helped, and stiffening the car in some situations helped. With the new car, I ran into snap traction roll issues with the initial setup I threw on with knowledge gained from the 6.1 WC. The fact that the traction roll was initial, and not after a progressive roll of the car made it immediately apparent that the car was too stiff initially and thus needed to be allowed to roll more to alleviate the issue. So, softer springs, 1.1,1.1,1.5 pistons, and longer camber links all around numbed the car up at initial reaction while still allowing for traction in the corner. I don't have a ton of time on the car where I am convinced it is better to me than my well honed 6.1 WC, but it sure is good to see that the same changes help the car become easier to drive.
Old 01-26-2014, 10:37 AM   #498
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary NJ View Post
Pete - I started running TC a few weeks back, and that is excellent advice you got. Believe me, starting with something easy to drive and neutral - or even a little pushy - and then getting more aggressive is very good advice. If you're talking about Tom's new track, i'm sure once Mike Haynes runs there you'll have all the help you could possibly need. The class is fun - not easy to go as fast as the fast guys, but lot's of fun.
thanks Gary something different I have been in off road all my life this will be my first venture and looking forward to it.
/FORT KNOX RC NYC/ISLAND RACEWAY & HOBBY/
/TEAM GUNHILL RACING/TEAM TIGHT TO THE PIPE RACING/TEAM RAMOS
Pete Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 02:13 PM   #499
Tech Addict

Would aluminum screws flex more than the steel ones and how about titani screws compared to the steel ones?
rc car guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 06:17 PM   #500
Tech Initiate

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc car guy View Post
Would aluminum screws flex more than the steel ones and how about titani screws compared to the steel ones?
Use spring steel of course............ It's got spring in the name for a reason
flapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 03:38 AM   #501
Tech Addict

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)
Thumbs up Wheel hex spaces

Hi guys.
I run foam tires and the offset sometimes varies for brand to brand and I need to widen the track width and pack the wheels out.
The rears are a big problem at times as I can't run the shock out wide on the lower arms.
I run 1.5mm spacer but that's still not enough and I lose thread for a wheel nut.
What do on my 6.1 is pack out the arm mounts and the hex to try to balance it out.. Can't do that any more.
I was thinking of running a 3 mm bearing inboard on the stealing arm and rear uprights, anyone tried this?

Any bright ideas...
shanwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 04:15 AM   #502
Tech Addict

Default Tc6.2 manual ipad does not like the PDF!

Tc6.2 manual.
ipad does not like the PDF!
Any one worked it out.
I tried to re save it with the front page deleted but still crashed.

Have I used up all my silly questions yet?

Steve
Old 01-27-2014, 06:25 AM   #503
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanwright View Post
Hi guys.
I run foam tires and the offset sometimes varies for brand to brand and I need to widen the track width and pack the wheels out.
The rears are a big problem at times as I can't run the shock out wide on the lower arms.
I run 1.5mm spacer but that's still not enough and I lose thread for a wheel nut.
What do on my 6.1 is pack out the arm mounts and the hex to try to balance it out.. Can't do that any more.
I was thinking of running a 3 mm bearing inboard on the stealing arm and rear uprights, anyone tried this?

Any bright ideas...
well changing the track width is going to change how the car performs. However on the 6.1 or the 6.2 you can change the track width by 1). on the 6.1 adding the "toe shims" in the front and back of the car to push the arms out, try the 2deg shim if you need more then 3deg shim would work as well make sure your screws are long enough, i wouldnt try to go more than that on each arm, if you need more use wheel hex spacers 2). on the 6.2 by using different inserts, the kit came with 3 different ones for each arm mount if your running 1 dot try 2 or 3 dot to make the track width wider, if you still need it wider on the 6.2 than youll have to use hex shims

also this is the 6.2 thread, there is a 6 thread out there so im slightly confused which is why i put both the 6.2 and 6.1 track width tips please explain next time in the questions which car you have. as for the pdf look it up on the computer
Old 01-27-2014, 09:29 AM   #504
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

looking for some help with my tekin RS Gen2, 17.5 blinky mode, asphalt medium grip track. Does any one have a set up sheet/profile that they are willing share.
Losi 22-4 - MMP - Tekin Gen2 5.5 * Losi SCTE - RX8 - Tekin Pro4 4600 * 22SCT - MMP - Tekin Redline Gen2 6.5T * Losi 22B 2.0 - Tekin RS - Novak 8.5T * TC6.2 * TC6.1 VTA * Wraith - CC Sidewinder - HH TorqueMaster 35T * E-max - Rustler - Slash - 1/16 Revo
Adonis_mp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 09:51 AM   #505
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Hi guys.

Any bright ideas...
Compared to the TC6.1/2 rear arms and hubs, the TC6 arms are shorter and the TC6 hubs are more offset (you end up with approx. the same width). To widen out the rear end, you could attempt to mix and match... meaning run the 6.1/2 arms with the 6 hubs. But keep in mind that you'd be running your driveshafts further out in the diff and want to check that they won't pop out.
Also, the 6 hubs would need different hardware to run since they're narrower: either 5x10x3 bearings with the 6 crush tubes or the entire 6 axle/bearing assembly.

But honestly speaking, you probably want a stiffer chassis for foam racing. We used to run 2.5mm and even 3.0mm bottom plates for foam racing back in the day. The 6.1 or the 6.2 stock plates are designed softer to get the most out of rubber tires.

Quote:
Tc6.2 manual.
ipad does not like the PDF!
Any one worked it out.
I tried to re save it with the front page deleted but still crashed.

Have I used up all my silly questions yet?

Steve
I had to print it to a PDF driver on my PC (you should be able to find some freeware if needed), and then that PDF worked fine on the iPad.
Old 01-27-2014, 12:23 PM   #506
Tech Addict

what pistons, oil, spring, and rebound are you guys running for tight technical tracks with medium-high bite
Old 01-27-2014, 03:12 PM   #507
Tech Addict

Thumbs up Thanks

Quote:
well changing the track width is going to change how the car performs. However on the 6.1 or the 6.2 you can change the track width by 1). on the 6.1 adding the "toe shims" in the front and back of the car to push the arms out, try the 2deg shim if you need more then 3deg shim would work as well make sure your screws are long enough, i wouldnt try to go more than that on each arm, if you need more use wheel hex spacers 2). on the 6.2 by using different inserts, the kit came with 3 different ones for each arm mount if your running 1 dot try 2 or 3 dot to make the track width wider, if you still need it wider on the 6.2 than youll have to use hex shims

also this is the 6.2 thread, there is a 6 thread out there so im slightly confused which is why i put both the 6.2 and 6.1 track width tips please explain next time in the questions which car you have. as for the pdf look it up on the computer
I have a 6 and 6.1. I'm thinking about getting a 6.2 and wonder if the toe shim will give me enough width. Because I put extra washers under the toe shims on the 6. But you can't do that with the 6.2..

It there anything better then washer to put on the hexs. I recon I will drop them and lose them I haven't seen wider hex drives that will fit on the TA axial .
I was thinking may be a drop or tow of CA so I don't lose them..
Any other ideas..
Thanks for the answers guys, I agree and understand with all the feed back so far. Interesting to here about chassis flex and wanting to run it stiffer for foams..

Steve
Old 01-27-2014, 07:07 PM   #508
Tech Addict

question on keven's latest set up sheet he put steering bellcrank screws out/ attach top to steering plate? how did he attached it I am trying to find out a way but i am drawing a blank
Old 01-27-2014, 07:25 PM   #509
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Quote:
question on keven's latest set up sheet he put steering bellcrank screws out/ attach top to steering plate? how did he attached it I am trying to find out a way but i am drawing a blank
Basicaaly what that is..Is Don't run the 2 screws from from servo plate to steering post. Just mount servo to plate and chassie and forget the 2 other screws.

Team Associated-Express Motorsports-Trinity-Reflex Racing-A Main Hobbies-ProtekRC
John Tag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 07:30 PM   #510
Tech Addict

oh i forgot to put in the word "plate" it should read top plate to steering plate. How did he attached it like that? i got the whole not running those two screws i didnt like that tried it