R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 03-12-2016, 05:30 PM   #2476
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Guys, what's the easiest way to float the steering? Do I buy the associated posts made to float the steering for the TC7?
glennhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 08:33 AM   #2477
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to MattW

I think that would probably work actually.
MattW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 08:38 AM   #2478
jpx
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennhl View Post
Guys, what's the easiest way to float the steering? Do I buy the associated posts made to float the steering for the TC7?
I just took the standard TC6.2 posts and cut them down a few mm's.
For me it was the easiest way as at that time TC7 parts didn't exist.
Attached Thumbnails
Team Associated TC6.2 Touring Car-image.jpg  
Old 03-15-2016, 02:10 PM   #2479
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Quote:
The TC7 post should be the right length but the stock carbon plate is a bit flimsy and doesn't do well in a hard impact if you don't use a saver. I was making this plate in 3mm and re engineered the webbing to improve strength. Unfortunately I have sold out of these kits but I just wanted to point this out if you tend to hit things. The stock plate should be ok if you use a servo saver.
YoDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 11:42 PM   #2480
jpx
Tech Adept

Are you sure the TC7 posts will fit for the TC6.2?
TC7 uses different bellcranks which have to be turned upside down to build the floating assambly. So I don't know if you can use TC7 posts with TC6.2 bellcranks. Geometry might be different ...
Other possibility would be also useing TC7 bellcranks - but will the steering geometry still be the same as the TC7 steering blocks are different es well and the links attached from below?
Can't tell as I don't have any TC7 parts to try ...
Old 03-15-2016, 11:59 PM   #2481
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpx View Post
Are you sure the TC7 posts will fit for the TC6.2?
TC7 uses different bellcranks which have to be turned upside down to build the floating assambly. So I don't know if you can use TC7 posts with TC6.2 bellcranks. Geometry might be different ...
Other possibility would be also useing TC7 bellcranks - but will the steering geometry still be the same as the TC7 steering blocks are different es well and the links attached from below?
Can't tell as I don't have any TC7 parts to try ...
The posts should be the same and yes... you will need to invert the cranks as well as shim the posts from the servo plate to adjust the bumpsteer height. The TC7 cranks are different I believe and the spacing between posts have been changed from the 6.2.
I have been running this configuration for quite awhile with good results.
I still have some custom posts if you are unsure.
R-Factor RC- TC4-R, P8 PanCar
Not as Fast as I want to be but too old to Whine about it... 8-)
Old 03-16-2016, 02:49 PM   #2482
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoDog View Post
The posts should be the same and yes... you will need to invert the cranks as well as shim the posts from the servo plate to adjust the bumpsteer height. The TC7 cranks are different I believe and the spacing between posts have been changed from the 6.2.
I have been running this configuration for quite awhile with good results.
I still have some custom posts if you are unsure.
I floated the steering on my TC7 and I did have to flip the cranks. However, looking at my two TC6.2's, as long as you are still using the stock steering that hooks onto the top of the steering arm, it looks as though you should not flip the cranks. Are you running low cranks and hooking onto the bottom of the steering arms???

Thanks,
Glenn
Old 03-18-2016, 04:48 PM   #2483
Tech Master

Quote:
I floated the steering on my TC7 and I did have to flip the cranks. However, looking at my two TC6.2's, as long as you are still using the stock steering that hooks onto the top of the steering arm, it looks as though you should not flip the cranks. Are you running low cranks and hooking onto the bottom of the steering arms???

Thanks,
Glenn
You are correct!
I just took a closer look at my car and noticed that the cranks are in their normal orientation. Just invert the posts and you are set.
R-Factor RC- TC4-R, P8 PanCar
Not as Fast as I want to be but too old to Whine about it... 8-)
Old 03-18-2016, 10:58 PM   #2484
Tech Addict

I floated the steering on both of my TC6.2's today and yes, just keep the cranks in the normal position. But just a word of warning, when I floated the steering using the TC7 posts on my TC7 I used button head screws on the bottom of the posts. But if you use button heads when you use the TC7 floating posts on a TC6.2, it locks up the bearings. So just use the countersink screws that you take out from the bottom of the chassis when you remove the old posts. The countersink hits the inner bearing race and does not lock up the cranks. Works like a charm.
Old 03-29-2016, 09:15 AM   #2485
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

what is the diameter of the front outer hinge pin?thanks
Old 04-05-2016, 09:14 AM   #2486
Tech Initiate

Default Large Spur vs. Small spur

Hey Gents,

I'm reading through this thread as I just built a TC6.2 that I bought just a month before the TC7 came out, ouch. I am wondering what the advantage is of a large spur gear vs. a small one. The kit comes with an 87T, yet I have seen some tuning videos with as small as a 72T. I'm planning on racing in 17.5 on a large asphalt track, good grip. Thoughts please. Thanks.
Old 04-05-2016, 09:41 AM   #2487
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmg2112 View Post
Hey Gents,

I'm reading through this thread as I just built a TC6.2 that I bought just a month before the TC7 came out, ouch. I am wondering what the advantage is of a large spur gear vs. a small one. The kit comes with an 87T, yet I have seen some tuning videos with as small as a 72T. I'm planning on racing in 17.5 on a large asphalt track, good grip. Thoughts please. Thanks.
The 87t spur is for mod motors. You will want to use the proper spur gear that will produce the proper FDR range for your given motor windings. Using a large spur won't make it possible to achieve an appropriate FDR for a 17.5t motor. The gear combo simply won't fit. I use 64p gears so for me I use 96t Spurs for 13.5t and 17.5t classes. It's all about getting the right FDR range that physically fits in the motor position.
Old 04-05-2016, 12:20 PM   #2488
jpx
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmg2112 View Post
Hey Gents,

Using a 72T 48p spur and 32T pinion will fit properly as mentioned by yodog and end up in a FDR of 4.5 as the internal ration is 2.0.
4.5 is a common max. FDR for classes like 17.5 or 21.5 (at least here in germany)

Last edited by jpx; 04-05-2016 at 10:41 PM.
jpx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 02:49 PM   #2489
Tech Addict

Has anyone done the TC7 arm upgrade on their TC6.2 yet? If so, could you post some photos and opinions?
Old 04-06-2016, 04:24 AM   #2490
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Quote:
Has anyone done the TC7 arm upgrade on their TC6.2 yet? If so, could you post some photos and opinions?
i'm working on doing this to my 6.1. hopefully by this weekend i will have it done. i'm using the arms, caster blocks and a turnbuckle w/ 2 eyelets so that i can use that for the sway bars. i used kevin herberts visual to help me w/ the rest of assembling my 6.1

i'm already using the TC7 shocks....night and day difference

http://site.petitrc.com/reglages/ass...ice2015121113/