R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-14-2015, 09:53 AM   #2251
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRnotEwing View Post
I have to say, I'm pretty sure I'm AE's target market. I bought 2 6.2's when they came out at full price. I tried to keep up with all of the mods posted in here. To the point I think there are about 7 6.2 parts left on it. Leave it to AE to find a mod I couldn't do. Put Ryan C behind the controller. No offense to him at all, he probably could have won it with his short course.
But I'm done buying a $400+ kit just to mod it to death.

Ryan C could probably have won it with a box 6.2. That probably would have done more for AE than anything else.
It's no secret that AE has been working on a new car, the reason AE has been so transparent about the modifications is because that car has taken longer to come out with than expected.

The TC6.2 is still plenty competitive in stock form, but the car as we currently have it set up is just next level. The good news is that when the new TC is released it will already have the geometry and parts that we have been running, and from the sounds of it there will be a handful of new things that I think even the team is excited to get our hands on!
Randy Caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 10:31 AM   #2252
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I'm just going by what Rick said. Might just be semantics, maybe all the changes are finally enough to call it a protoype
Attached Thumbnails
Team Associated TC6.2 Touring Car-image.jpg  
Old 09-14-2015, 12:27 PM   #2253
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Caster View Post
It's no secret that AE has been working on a new car, the reason AE has been so transparent about the modifications is because that car has taken longer to come out with than expected.

The TC6.2 is still plenty competitive in stock form, but the car as we currently have it set up is just next level. The good news is that when the new TC is released it will already have the geometry and parts that we have been running, and from the sounds of it there will be a handful of new things that I think even the team is excited to get our hands on!
Probably to early to ask but will there be a upgrade kit to go from 6.2 to 6.X cant wait for new kit congrats on a strong showing past weekend
tbamsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 01:05 PM   #2254
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

+1 on what tbamsey said.

USVTA member #111
NutDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 01:24 PM   #2255
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to JustWill75

Quote:
I have to say, I'm pretty sure I'm AE's target market. I bought 2 6.2's when they came out at full price. I tried to keep up with all of the mods posted in here. To the point I think there are about 7 6.2 parts left on it. Leave it to AE to find a mod I couldn't do. Put Ryan C behind the controller. No offense to him at all, he probably could have won it with his short course.
But I'm done buying a $400+ kit just to mod it to death.

Ryan C could probably have won it with a box 6.2. That probably would have done more for AE than anything else.
Let me try my best to make you feel better about this......

November 11 2013 is when the the TC6.2 was intoduced..... since then every other brand on the market has introduced a new car every year for ex. Xray T4 13, 14 and 15. Yokomo BD7 2014 and 2015. ARC 2014 and 2015. Serpent and even Awesomatix......

With Team Associated you are not buying a new car every year, you get upgrades and mods to make a great car better until that said chassis has reached its limit. I dont know about you but it sounds to me like you save a lot more money that way. Not buying a new chassis every year to be competative mean you have more to use on track time, tires batteries and motors.

You said it yourself, Cav could have won with a boxstock TC. That is so very true but his job is to help with development so you the consumer can get that ultimate TC. You know , the one that you dont have to keep replacing every year to stay competetive..................... Did you get it???

Last edited by JustWill75; 09-14-2015 at 04:37 PM.
JustWill75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 01:53 PM   #2256
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
the one that you dont have to keep replacing every year to stay competetive..................... Did you get it???
Downside to this is something I see from a lot of people...

W/ a NEW Car on the market - a guy will SELL his one year old car, for a fairly decent "USED CAR" Price, and take that and put it toward the NEW Car -

With a car that is upgraded after upgraded...he made his initial purchase - then paid to up grade, then paid to up grade, etc...several times, but at some point if/when he decides to sell -- a lot of times the upgrades didn't up the used value of the car (in a buyers mind) so they don't recoop the costs of the upgrades.

(Side Note: I still really like my Mostly Stock TC6.2, but I'm not all that competitive of a on-road racer...in fact, Having a 6.2 that was re-worked and set up by my buddy at AE, I am not any better at driving w/ that car, than I am w/ my 18 yr old HPI Pro2.) But it was nice to move into the Modern World of TCs.
Things are headed towards a return of the SWT Series, but for
2017 the focus will be on the Encino Velodrome (and dirt oval racing)
SWTour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 05:10 PM   #2257
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

"You know , the one that you dont have to keep replacing every year to stay competetive..................... Did you get it???"
Different schools of thought. If this were true, with a dremel tool we could all still be running TC5's. New cars come with new hinge pins, new bearings, new belts, new spool cups, new axles, blades, etc. And a used 1yo car has a used value.

"With a car that is upgraded after upgraded...he made his initial purchase - then paid to up grade, then paid to up grade, etc...several times, but at some point if/when he decides to sell -- a lot of times the upgrades didn't up the used value of the car (in a buyers mind) so they don't recoop the costs of the upgrades." He is correct.

Plus, the mods I'm buying do nothing for AE. RSD, Spec R, Tuning Haus, etc
Speaking of which, hinge pins with the mods have been a real pita. Because the arms are narrower, but the mounts still out there, one tap bends a pin. (I'm just a club racer, I hit crap). So much so I've gone back to the 6.2 arms in front.
3 weeks ago I picked up a T4 15. Box stock my speeds haven't diminished and it's only been 3 Wednesday night races (short program) And haven't changed a pin. So given a choice, I pick new car over 50 mods, some of which may have never made it to MN.

I loved my 6.2's when I got them, sans having to add a bumper brace day one. I will probably buy a 6.x when it comes out as I enjoy building kits and trying them. But as soon as the mods start again in depth I'm done.
Sedan T4 15
"Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do"
JRnotEwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 06:20 PM   #2258
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKSIDE View Post
No sir....The AE cars are fine without any mods or aftermarket parts.

Most of any mods or aftermarket parts are done more in the line of testing.

When the "TEAM" finds out something different that may help in production of up and coming version of the TC Series it's looked at and tried by multiple racers and tracks.

Don't freak out its all about trying different things to get our TC7 to be the best it can be.

Myron

Ps. Companies like RSD and Exoteck help in offering items that may or may not be offered by Associated. And they do their testing as well to help improve on a already great chassis
Quote:
here is what my stock TC6 series cars have done since 2012....

2012 Snowbirds AM TC 17.5 TQ and Champion, 2nd place VTA
2012 Thunder Jam Midwest Grand Slam TQ and Champion VTA and USGT
2012 USVTA Scale Nationals TQ and 2nd VTA
2012 One Lug Duel TQ and Champion VTA and 17.5 TC
2012 Georgia On Road Championships TQ and Champion VTA,USGT, and 17.5 TC
2013 Thunder Jam V TQ and Champion VTA and USGT
2013 Halloween Classic Champion VTA
2014 Thunder Jam VI TQ and Champion VTA and USGT
2014 Indy Champs TQ and dq VTA, 2nd USGT
2014 One Lug Carpet Showdown TQ and Champion VTA
2015....standby.......

all with AE parts and support....and mostly box stock setup. And I am nowhere near as good of a driver as other team members....but it holds it own and gets the job done. I have made the A-main in almost every race I have traveled to and locally with the TC6 series cars. They are more than capable of win and fun time.

enjoy your rides and make sure you are faster than your car before you get to wrapped up in extras, mods, and aftermarket parts
Quote:
lol...those are just the ones I can remember off the top of my head...lol...

but I lost my share too....but it had nothing to do with the car.

Im just one guy who truly believes in the product from my TC3,TC4,TC5,TC6, TC6.1, TC6.1 WC, to my TC6.2 and half.....Associated makes the best overall onroad car when you factor everything from price, performance, durability, parts, and so on....from average weekend racer to beginner to National title contenders....AE has what you looking for....

my 3 years worth
Quote:
"You know , the one that you dont have to keep replacing every year to stay competetive..................... Did you get it???"
Different schools of thought. If this were true, with a dremel tool we could all still be running TC5's. New cars come with new hinge pins, new bearings, new belts, new spool cups, new axles, blades, etc. And a used 1yo car has a used value.

"With a car that is upgraded after upgraded...he made his initial purchase - then paid to up grade, then paid to up grade, etc...several times, but at some point if/when he decides to sell -- a lot of times the upgrades didn't up the used value of the car (in a buyers mind) so they don't recoop the costs of the upgrades." He is correct.

Plus, the mods I'm buying do nothing for AE. RSD, Spec R, Tuning Haus, etc
Speaking of which, hinge pins with the mods have been a real pita. Because the arms are narrower, but the mounts still out there, one tap bends a pin. (I'm just a club racer, I hit crap). So much so I've gone back to the 6.2 arms in front.
3 weeks ago I picked up a T4 15. Box stock my speeds haven't diminished and it's only been 3 Wednesday night races (short program) And haven't changed a pin. So given a choice, I pick new car over 50 mods, some of which may have never made it to MN.

I loved my 6.2's when I got them, sans having to add a bumper brace day one. I will probably buy a 6.x when it comes out as I enjoy building kits and trying them. But as soon as the mods start again in depth I'm done.
here are some of the upgrades/mods Ive done....nothing fancy and some just to have....
Attached Thumbnails
Team Associated TC6.2 Touring Car-8.jpg   Team Associated TC6.2 Touring Car-2.jpg   Team Associated TC6.2 Touring Car-7.jpg   Team Associated TC6.2 Touring Car-9.jpg   Team Associated TC6.2 Touring Car-20.jpg  

Sept 21-24th @ Thunder RC Raceway
1172 Park Ave, Murfreesboro, TN 37129
DARKSIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 03:49 AM   #2259
Tech Initiate

Thank you Randy for the Cav setting.
Could you please give us more informations about :
--> The top plate cutting
--> The servo horn reference ( Xray ?)
--> The steering rack : Standard or floating

Regards

Fred
fredB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 05:33 AM   #2260
Tech Regular

Default VTA/USGT

Looking for a starting point for a VTA and an USGT set. Large track (three tennis courts), asphalt , high grip. I also have both Tamiya and RSD spring sets.
Losi 22-4 - MMP - Tekin Gen2 5.5 * Losi SCTE - RX8 - Tekin Pro4 4600 * 22SCT - MMP - Tekin Redline Gen2 6.5T * Losi 22B 2.0 - Tekin RS - Novak 8.5T * TC6.2 * TC6.1 VTA * Wraith - CC Sidewinder - HH TorqueMaster 35T * E-max - Rustler - Slash - 1/16 Revo
Adonis_mp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 05:57 AM   #2261
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 56 (100%+)

Have you looked at petite RC?
The brighter the picture, the darker the negative. USVTA member #112
theproffesor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 06:16 AM   #2262
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by theproffesor View Post
Have you looked at petite RC?
I looked there but none of the ones I looked at were specific. I really want to check out VTA and USGT specific set ups for the 6.2, just to compare to what I'm running now.
Losi 22-4 - MMP - Tekin Gen2 5.5 * Losi SCTE - RX8 - Tekin Pro4 4600 * 22SCT - MMP - Tekin Redline Gen2 6.5T * Losi 22B 2.0 - Tekin RS - Novak 8.5T * TC6.2 * TC6.1 VTA * Wraith - CC Sidewinder - HH TorqueMaster 35T * E-max - Rustler - Slash - 1/16 Revo
Adonis_mp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 06:55 AM   #2263
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Can't make everyone happy...

Back in the TC4/TC5 days when the team was running basically box stock cars the internet buzz was all about how the car was no good and the on-road team had no ambition to try new things and "keep up" to develop the platform...

Now in recent years they try new things and are actively doing R&D and testing ideas at big events where they can get real time real race experience and results and it's complaints about too many mods and not running stock parts...

RC racing to me has always been a very special niche of sport where the average racer can interact and compete with the worlds best. What other sport can you buy equipment pay an entry fee and compete with the best in the sport?... very few (i can't even think of one actually but i'm sure there are)... My long winded point is what the team is testing is never meant to be copied by the consumer much like what is done on a Nascar or an F1 or a GT car in full scale isn't necessarily meant to be copied on your daily driver. Sometimes what they are testing will be awesome sometimes it will be completely horrible. As a consumer purchasing the car you are entitled to follow and make modifications but doing so is at your own risk. The reason the team uses the TC4 arms and the parts is because they HAVE THEM. The parts are tooled, molded, and available to them. They can test different geometry and such without having to make costly prototype pieces and there is a lot of autonomy to just modify existing pieces. Because of this i'm guessing there is VERY LITTLE CONSIDERATION for durability for these test setups...

So mimic and keep up with the team modifications if you will but don't complain about how hard/costly it is or how fragile it is because its your own choice... When the manufacturer decides the modifications are proven and ready to be deemed a new car they will engineer it so the strength and durability is back into the equation and we will have a new kit.
Old 09-15-2015, 07:42 AM   #2264
Tech Master

Send a message via AIM to JustWill75

Well said my friend, well said.....
Old 09-15-2015, 05:47 PM   #2265
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredB View Post
Thank you Randy for the Cav setting.
Could you please give us more informations about :
--> The top plate cutting
--> The servo horn reference ( Xray ?)
--> The steering rack : Standard or floating

Regards

Fred
Just did a google search since I didn't have a good picture of the top deck and found a good article by Carl Hyndman on Ryan's car, he took the pictures this past Sunday.

http://www.rccaraction.com/blog/2015...winning-tc6-2/

Gotta look closely but you can see where I cut the front of the top deck, only the very front cross bracing connecting the sides of the top deck.

The servo horn is the Yokomo aluminum BD7 horn.

Steering rack is floating.
Randy Caster is offline   Reply With Quote