R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-24-2014, 09:34 AM   #1576
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperZ View Post
@ Irvinew, I heard Moose Jaw's track is bigger than Saskatoon's. On our track it is said that 4.09 is ideal, and its a small tight track. Yet you are running a 5.5?

You must be alabout that torque
I don't remember precisely the reasons why I put the fdr higher; its just a guess based on size of track and speed I can handle; its been awhile but speed hasn't been the reason why I don't get tq all the time; its only my 3rd year back driving an rc car.

I know that 4ish is about what you before your 17.5 melts but if your running that high of a gear on a track that is smaller than ours I'd appreciate your input on proper gearing; sorry no sarcasm this time.

Last edited by irvinew; 11-24-2014 at 09:50 AM.
irvinew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 10:14 AM   #1577
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by irvinew View Post
I don't remember precisely the reasons why I put the fdr higher; its just a guess based on size of track and speed I can handle; its been awhile but speed hasn't been the reason why I don't get tq all the time; its only my 3rd year back driving an rc car.

I know that 4ish is about what you before your 17.5 melts but if your running that high of a gear on a track that is smaller than ours I'd appreciate your input on proper gearing; sorry no sarcasm this time.
I was able to run at the Moose Jaw track on Sunday. I can sort of understand the lower gearing now. Although your track is bigger than ours you have a very tight infield with lots of switchbacks. It was fun to drive it.

Sorry I don't have any real recommendations as I'm no expert.
Old 11-24-2014, 10:45 AM   #1578
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The track I typically run at is around 70'x35' if I had to guess. Between a 4:1 and 4.2:1 FDR seems to work well. Motor temps are not too high - maybe ~130F. We use strong fans of course.

For a larger track, say 100'x48', I'd start with my 17.5 Reedy around a 3.8-3.9.

RC Excitement: Fitchburg, MA | RC Madness: Enfield, CT | Horsham RC
samnelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 11:53 AM   #1579
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperZ View Post
I was able to run at the Moose Jaw track on Sunday. I can sort of understand the lower gearing now. Although your track is bigger than ours you have a very tight infield with lots of switchbacks. It was fun to drive it.

Sorry I don't have any real recommendations as I'm no expert.
Great to have you guys down; I'll have to come up sometime; good to see someone else driving blue.

Sorry to see about Tuning Haus; Looks like they have good customer service; maybe you got a bad batch. I saw a video where this one person tapped a set screw into the castor blocks; I wonder how many people actually do that or do most people live with X amount of slop of which might be normal in any kit.
Old 11-24-2014, 11:56 AM   #1580
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by samnelso View Post
The track I typically run at is around 70'x35' if I had to guess. Between a 4:1 and 4.2:1 FDR seems to work well. Motor temps are not too high - maybe ~130F. We use strong fans of course.

For a larger track, say 100'x48', I'd start with my 17.5 Reedy around a 3.8-3.9.

Is that Fitchburg MA? Looks really nice; yes I can see where a 4 would be desirable; maybe in WCICS early next year I will run that setup.

I travel to Swampscott MA every year; maybe I can stop by and watch some racing.
Old 11-24-2014, 12:19 PM   #1581
Tech Addict

Quote:

Looking at your track that sounds about right or close enough then as it looks
Like a fast flowing track.

The Moose Jaw track is 60' x 50' and has a real tight infield. I had lots of low speed torque with 4.09 and enough speed on the straight.

Moose Jaw Fastraxx
Old 11-24-2014, 04:29 PM   #1582
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Report...the C-hubs worked great even after a couple of really good hits. They stayed true at 4 deg. The work to get them right was for mine I took my Dremell and hooked the pin to it and ran it in the hole with white grease.

checked them after the race and they are still good and loose. Without the slop that the originals have.

I would say they are worth it at this point. A few more race weekends and Ill check back...I will be looking to get 2 more sets for my other 6.2's

Note. Also ran the Reedy Blackbox this weekend as well in my GT car...omg.. its a very nice esc...been running the LRP, and switched over.
Attached Thumbnails
Team Associated TC6.2 Touring Car-esc.jpg   Team Associated TC6.2 Touring Car-esc2.jpg  
January 21, 2017 Thunder RC Raceway
http://events.rcsignup.com/events/displayEvent.cfm?id=5313
DARKSIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 06:36 PM   #1583
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKSIDE View Post
Report...the C-hubs worked great even after a couple of really good hits. They stayed true at 4 deg. The work to get them right was for mine I took my Dremell and hooked the pin to it and ran it in the hole with white grease.

checked them after the race and they are still good and loose. Without the slop that the originals have.

I would say they are worth it at this point. A few more race weekends and Ill check back...I will be looking to get 2 more sets for my other 6.2's

Note. Also ran the Reedy Blackbox this weekend as well in my GT car...omg.. its a very nice esc...been running the LRP, and switched over.
ive been wanting a blackbox as well heard they are super smooth
aliencehobbies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 07:12 PM   #1584
Tech Addict

Quote:
Great to have you guys down; I'll have to come up sometime; good to see someone else driving blue.

Sorry to see about Tuning Haus; Looks like they have good customer service; maybe you got a bad batch. I saw a video where this one person tapped a set screw into the castor blocks; I wonder how many people actually do that or do most people live with X amount of slop of which might be normal in any kit.
Thanks! It was good to race with your club and meet new people!

I think the slop is less important as we make it out to be.. But I'm just a club racer, and can't discern between the .003 lap difference it may make.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKSIDE View Post

What did you do to fix the binding of the hub to steering black on the bottom screw? I think I may have to remove a bit of metal...

During the race this Sunday in practice, I hit a car that was stopped on the straightaway, it resulted in a broken C-Hub.. This got me thinking if I had the Aluminum on in, it would not have broke, but then I wonder what else would have broke. As it was it was simple to replace, but had it been the A Arm that broke, that would have been more of a paint to replace I think...

I was looking at a Reedy Black Box for my W-GT as it does 1s....
Old 11-24-2014, 07:27 PM   #1585
Tech Master

Quote:
Is that Fitchburg MA? Looks really nice; yes I can see where a 4 would be desirable; maybe in WCICS early next year I will run that setup.

I travel to Swampscott MA every year; maybe I can stop by and watch some racing.
This one is RC Madness in Connecticut. Fitchburg has a track as well, RC Excitement. It's predominantly offroad, but we're trying to revive their carpet program.

RC Excitement: Fitchburg, MA | RC Madness: Enfield, CT | Horsham RC
samnelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 10:00 PM   #1586
Tech Adept

Quote:

True. I run a 3.8FDR currently with my Reedy 17.5. Our track is ~100x48.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCkM...0h0LR7kdbdA3BQ
Old 11-26-2014, 06:29 PM   #1587
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Cartwright View Post

What an awesome track and race video!! That looks like a fast track!

Who here has drilled the top of their shock caps to allow for a zero rebound setup?

Is it recommended, and can you show me a picture of where it's drilled?
Old 11-26-2014, 07:19 PM   #1588
Tech Addict

I just went for it! Drilled the top of the cap with a 1mm bit, rebuilt with 35wt and RSD bladders = Zero rebound

Old 11-26-2014, 07:48 PM   #1589
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I look forward to hearing what you think of this change. :-)

USVTA member #111
NutDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 09:00 PM   #1590
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to xtrememadness

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Cartwright View Post

Great video! Your car was dialed.