R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-24-2014, 09:34 AM   #1576
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Timbuk 2
Posts: 163
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperZ View Post
@ Irvinew, I heard Moose Jaw's track is bigger than Saskatoon's. On our track it is said that 4.09 is ideal, and its a small tight track. Yet you are running a 5.5?

You must be alabout that torque
I don't remember precisely the reasons why I put the fdr higher; its just a guess based on size of track and speed I can handle; its been awhile but speed hasn't been the reason why I don't get tq all the time; its only my 3rd year back driving an rc car.

I know that 4ish is about what you before your 17.5 melts but if your running that high of a gear on a track that is smaller than ours I'd appreciate your input on proper gearing; sorry no sarcasm this time.
__________________
TC7 TC6.2 Tamiya Mini RC12r5.2 Reedy FUTABA RSD

Last edited by irvinew; 11-24-2014 at 09:50 AM.
irvinew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 10:14 AM   #1577
Tech Addict
 
ViperZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Saskatoon, SK. Canada
Posts: 625
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by irvinew View Post
I don't remember precisely the reasons why I put the fdr higher; its just a guess based on size of track and speed I can handle; its been awhile but speed hasn't been the reason why I don't get tq all the time; its only my 3rd year back driving an rc car.

I know that 4ish is about what you before your 17.5 melts but if your running that high of a gear on a track that is smaller than ours I'd appreciate your input on proper gearing; sorry no sarcasm this time.
I was able to run at the Moose Jaw track on Sunday. I can sort of understand the lower gearing now. Although your track is bigger than ours you have a very tight infield with lots of switchbacks. It was fun to drive it.

Sorry I don't have any real recommendations as I'm no expert.
__________________
*
Who races a Mazda Sedan...? Honestly...? :D
ViperZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 10:45 AM   #1578
Tech Master
 
samnelso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Fitchburg, MA
Posts: 1,751
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

The track I typically run at is around 70'x35' if I had to guess. Between a 4:1 and 4.2:1 FDR seems to work well. Motor temps are not too high - maybe ~130F. We use strong fans of course.

For a larger track, say 100'x48', I'd start with my 17.5 Reedy around a 3.8-3.9.

__________________
Team Associated | Reedy | Airtronics

RC Excitement: Fitchburg, MA | RC Madness: Enfield, CT | Horsham RC
samnelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 11:53 AM   #1579
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Timbuk 2
Posts: 163
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperZ View Post
I was able to run at the Moose Jaw track on Sunday. I can sort of understand the lower gearing now. Although your track is bigger than ours you have a very tight infield with lots of switchbacks. It was fun to drive it.

Sorry I don't have any real recommendations as I'm no expert.
Great to have you guys down; I'll have to come up sometime; good to see someone else driving blue.

Sorry to see about Tuning Haus; Looks like they have good customer service; maybe you got a bad batch. I saw a video where this one person tapped a set screw into the castor blocks; I wonder how many people actually do that or do most people live with X amount of slop of which might be normal in any kit.
__________________
TC7 TC6.2 Tamiya Mini RC12r5.2 Reedy FUTABA RSD
irvinew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 11:56 AM   #1580
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Timbuk 2
Posts: 163
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by samnelso View Post
The track I typically run at is around 70'x35' if I had to guess. Between a 4:1 and 4.2:1 FDR seems to work well. Motor temps are not too high - maybe ~130F. We use strong fans of course.

For a larger track, say 100'x48', I'd start with my 17.5 Reedy around a 3.8-3.9.

Is that Fitchburg MA? Looks really nice; yes I can see where a 4 would be desirable; maybe in WCICS early next year I will run that setup.

I travel to Swampscott MA every year; maybe I can stop by and watch some racing.
__________________
TC7 TC6.2 Tamiya Mini RC12r5.2 Reedy FUTABA RSD
irvinew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 12:19 PM   #1581
Tech Addict
 
ViperZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Saskatoon, SK. Canada
Posts: 625
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by samnelso View Post
The track I typically run at is around 70'x35' if I had to guess. Between a 4:1 and 4.2:1 FDR seems to work well. Motor temps are not too high - maybe ~130F. We use strong fans of course.

For a larger track, say 100'x48', I'd start with my 17.5 Reedy around a 3.8-3.9.
Looking at your track that sounds about right or close enough then as it looks
Like a fast flowing track.

The Moose Jaw track is 60' x 50' and has a real tight infield. I had lots of low speed torque with 4.09 and enough speed on the straight.

Moose Jaw Fastraxx
__________________
*
Who races a Mazda Sedan...? Honestly...? :D
ViperZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 04:29 PM   #1582
Tech Champion
 
DARKSIDE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Nashville-Memphis
Posts: 7,651
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Report...the C-hubs worked great even after a couple of really good hits. They stayed true at 4 deg. The work to get them right was for mine I took my Dremell and hooked the pin to it and ran it in the hole with white grease.

checked them after the race and they are still good and loose. Without the slop that the originals have.

I would say they are worth it at this point. A few more race weekends and Ill check back...I will be looking to get 2 more sets for my other 6.2's

Note. Also ran the Reedy Blackbox this weekend as well in my GT car...omg.. its a very nice esc...been running the LRP, and switched over.
Attached Thumbnails
Team Associated TC6.2 Touring Car-esc.jpg   Team Associated TC6.2 Touring Car-esc2.jpg  
__________________
Myron "BATTMAN" Kinnard
Team Associated/Reedy Powered/PROTOform/RockStar Paint, LLC
THUNDER JAM IX Snowbirds Warm-up
January 21, 2017 Thunder RC Raceway
http://events.rcsignup.com/events/displayEvent.cfm?id=5313
DARKSIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 06:36 PM   #1583
Tech Adept
 
aliencehobbies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Coral,Mi
Posts: 101
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKSIDE View Post
Report...the C-hubs worked great even after a couple of really good hits. They stayed true at 4 deg. The work to get them right was for mine I took my Dremell and hooked the pin to it and ran it in the hole with white grease.

checked them after the race and they are still good and loose. Without the slop that the originals have.

I would say they are worth it at this point. A few more race weekends and Ill check back...I will be looking to get 2 more sets for my other 6.2's

Note. Also ran the Reedy Blackbox this weekend as well in my GT car...omg.. its a very nice esc...been running the LRP, and switched over.
ive been wanting a blackbox as well heard they are super smooth
aliencehobbies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 07:12 PM   #1584
Tech Addict
 
ViperZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Saskatoon, SK. Canada
Posts: 625
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by irvinew View Post
Great to have you guys down; I'll have to come up sometime; good to see someone else driving blue.

Sorry to see about Tuning Haus; Looks like they have good customer service; maybe you got a bad batch. I saw a video where this one person tapped a set screw into the castor blocks; I wonder how many people actually do that or do most people live with X amount of slop of which might be normal in any kit.
Thanks! It was good to race with your club and meet new people!

I think the slop is less important as we make it out to be.. But I'm just a club racer, and can't discern between the .003 lap difference it may make.


Quote:
Originally Posted by DARKSIDE View Post
Report...the C-hubs worked great even after a couple of really good hits. They stayed true at 4 deg. The work to get them right was for mine I took my Dremell and hooked the pin to it and ran it in the hole with white grease.

checked them after the race and they are still good and loose. Without the slop that the originals have.

I would say they are worth it at this point. A few more race weekends and Ill check back...I will be looking to get 2 more sets for my other 6.2's

Note. Also ran the Reedy Blackbox this weekend as well in my GT car...omg.. its a very nice esc...been running the LRP, and switched over.
What did you do to fix the binding of the hub to steering black on the bottom screw? I think I may have to remove a bit of metal...

During the race this Sunday in practice, I hit a car that was stopped on the straightaway, it resulted in a broken C-Hub.. This got me thinking if I had the Aluminum on in, it would not have broke, but then I wonder what else would have broke. As it was it was simple to replace, but had it been the A Arm that broke, that would have been more of a paint to replace I think...



I was looking at a Reedy Black Box for my W-GT as it does 1s....
__________________
*
Who races a Mazda Sedan...? Honestly...? :D
ViperZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 07:27 PM   #1585
Tech Master
 
samnelso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Fitchburg, MA
Posts: 1,751
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by irvinew View Post
Is that Fitchburg MA? Looks really nice; yes I can see where a 4 would be desirable; maybe in WCICS early next year I will run that setup.

I travel to Swampscott MA every year; maybe I can stop by and watch some racing.
This one is RC Madness in Connecticut. Fitchburg has a track as well, RC Excitement. It's predominantly offroad, but we're trying to revive their carpet program.
__________________
Team Associated | Reedy | Airtronics

RC Excitement: Fitchburg, MA | RC Madness: Enfield, CT | Horsham RC
samnelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 10:00 PM   #1586
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Seattle, Washington
Posts: 185
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by samnelso View Post
The track I typically run at is around 70'x35' if I had to guess. Between a 4:1 and 4.2:1 FDR seems to work well. Motor temps are not too high - maybe ~130F. We use strong fans of course.

For a larger track, say 100'x48', I'd start with my 17.5 Reedy around a 3.8-3.9.
True. I run a 3.8FDR currently with my Reedy 17.5. Our track is ~100x48.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCkM...0h0LR7kdbdA3BQ
__________________
Andrew Cartwright | Reflex Racing
A_Cartwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 06:29 PM   #1587
Tech Addict
 
ViperZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Saskatoon, SK. Canada
Posts: 625
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Cartwright View Post
True. I run a 3.8FDR currently with my Reedy 17.5. Our track is ~100x48.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCkM...0h0LR7kdbdA3BQ
What an awesome track and race video!! That looks like a fast track!


Who here has drilled the top of their shock caps to allow for a zero rebound setup?

Is it recommended, and can you show me a picture of where it's drilled?
__________________
*
Who races a Mazda Sedan...? Honestly...? :D
ViperZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 07:19 PM   #1588
Tech Addict
 
ViperZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Saskatoon, SK. Canada
Posts: 625
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

I just went for it! Drilled the top of the cap with a 1mm bit, rebuilt with 35wt and RSD bladders = Zero rebound





__________________
*
Who races a Mazda Sedan...? Honestly...? :D
ViperZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 07:48 PM   #1589
Tech Master
 
NutDriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,943
Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)
Default

I look forward to hearing what you think of this change. :-)
__________________
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

USVTA member #111
NutDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2014, 09:00 PM   #1590
Tech Fanatic
 
xtrememadness's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: new jersey
Posts: 954
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to xtrememadness
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Cartwright View Post
True. I run a 3.8FDR currently with my Reedy 17.5. Our track is ~100x48.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCkM...0h0LR7kdbdA3BQ
Great video! Your car was dialed.
__________________
CRAIG SANTRY / TAMIYA / TEAM ASSOCIATED / BROWNIES PRO AND SPORT HOBBIES / STATEN ISLAND SPEED TEAM / FUTABA / LRP / TEKIN / PROTOFORM / JACKSON RC / HORSHAM RC / EXOTEK RACING / REEDY
xtrememadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 03:43 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.0