R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 11-13-2014, 11:56 AM   #1531
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by irvinew View Post
The design is this according to memory and instructions; the first 9x3? shim is under the larger o-ring at the bottom of the outdrive shaft. The smaller o-ring is of course in that grove on the shaft of the outdrive. The other shim is of course is inside the gear case of which is held in place with the pin of which the gear sits on.
This is correct. Did you put black grease on the orings per the instructions? Otherwise, it sounds like you're assembly correct and I'm not sure what the issue would be. Maybe it'll free up a little with time if it's not TOO tight.

RC Excitement: Fitchburg, MA | RC Madness: Enfield, CT | Horsham RC
samnelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 09:24 AM   #1532
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by irvinew View Post
The outdrive is difficult to turn; it turns but it is tight.

The design is this according to memory and instructions; the first 9x3? shim is under the larger o-ring at the bottom of the outdrive shaft. The smaller o-ring is of course in that grove on the shaft of the outdrive. The other shim is of course is inside the gear case of which is held in place with the pin of which the gear sits on.

I'm fairly sure the shim under the o-ring needs to be there?

Just a side note; I do have the new steel outdrives back there and these directions I used to assemble the gear diff was from the supplementary setup manual from AE, not the default method as listed from the manual.
Get rid of the shims on the outdrives, just use the o rings. So that is one shim under the sun gear and no shims on the outdrive. I had the same problem and so far there have been no issues not running the shim. I have also talked to others that had the same problem.
trilerian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2014, 12:53 PM   #1533
jpx
Tech Adept

I bought one for my TC6 last year. I assembled correctly, using 40wt oil but it was hard to turn, checked again but couldn't find anything wrong.
After running 2-3 batteries, smoothness was ok. Had no problems since!
Old 11-17-2014, 06:49 PM   #1534
Tech Prophet

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Put my second race day on the 6.2 this past Saturday and am really happy with the performance of this car. I'm used to having cars that steer very well but typically need to be babied a bit around the track. My current setup on the 6.2 has plenty of steering, but I am able to actually push it pretty hard around the track because there is plenty of rear grip as well.

I've had the luxury of having the AE guys nearby to help me with the setup and offer advice, so thanks again to Steve, Rick, and Sean! I really appreciate all the help!
Randy Caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 06:57 PM   #1535
Tech Regular

Default New to TC

Ok I'm looking for a good setup sheet for the TC6.2 with 17.5 on High Traction Carpet. I've been through over 100 pages of post dating way back. Associated has a few setups but most pertain to Modified and not 17.5
Also I'm not looking for setups that involve every other manufactures parts. Seems like so many change just about everything imaginable. I shock piston or spring is find but lets keep it to that please.

Thanks for your help
Email rugspinner@aol.com
Rugspin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 07:23 PM   #1536
Tech Master

I think this setup on Petit would be a very good start. Quite similar to what I run. Although it's for mod, the 17.5 setup is not all that different.

Apart from this I'd try a yellow bar up front and a white in the rear. 40/35wt for the oil. 700cst in rear diff. RSD pistons and bladders with a vented cap and Yok springs. Also, I may alter the roll center shims (i.e. inner/outer mount shims) by running 0.5mm all the way around. Droop 2mm over ride height front and rear. Drop car as low as local rules allow. Maybe -2 dot hinge pins in the rear.

Sorry not in setup sheet form, but this should be a good starting place.

If you're ordering yok springs. Get blues for the rear and pinks and blues to try on the front.

http://www.petitrc.com/reglages/asso...endip20140809/

Old 11-17-2014, 10:39 PM   #1537
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugspin View Post
Ok I'm looking for a good setup sheet for the TC6.2 with 17.5 on High Traction Carpet. I've been through over 100 pages of post dating way back. Associated has a few setups but most pertain to Modified and not 17.5
Also I'm not looking for setups that involve every other manufactures parts. Seems like so many change just about everything imaginable. I shock piston or spring is find but lets keep it to that please.

Thanks for your help
Did you look at Andrew Cartwright's set up sheet or Keven Hebert's on AE's site? We talked about these just a few pages back.

http://www.teamassociated.com/setupsheets/TC6.2/

They both have setup sheets for 17.5, high grip carpet, and the only non AE part called out is Yokomo Pinks in front and blues in the back. Cartwright's the one I'm setup to currently and it seems to be working well.

Sam, I ended up just mounting the Yokomo springs in the standard AE shocks, and running them. No issues so far. I did get a set of RSD bladders, and may try installing them at some point.

Last edited by ViperZ; 11-17-2014 at 10:54 PM.
ViperZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 10:50 PM   #1538
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperZ View Post
Did you look at Andrew Cartwright's set up sheet or Keven Hebert's on AE's site? We talked about these just a few pages back.

http://www.teamassociated.com/setupsheets/TC6.2/

They both have setup sheets for 17.5, high grip carpet, and the only non AE part called out is Yokomo Pinks in front and blues in the back. Cartwright's the one I'm setup to currently and it seems to be working well.

Sam, I ended up just mounting the Yokomo springs in the standard AE shocks, and running them. No issues so far. I did get a set of RSD bladders, and may try installing them at some point.
Kev's setup looks good. It's basically what I was trying to say, except on an actual setup sheet. Much simpler, lol. I'd still drop down in diff fluid if it was me and I'd run a little lighter oil in 17.5. Also, with all these new stiff rimed tires (gravity, jaco, solaris), it's helpful to glue the front sidewall to prevent traction rolling. Sometimes even half the rear sidewall is needed. If I really care about a race I'll check and reglue as needed after every run. At a bare minimum I usually add a safety bead.

Old 11-17-2014, 10:58 PM   #1539
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by samnelso View Post
Kev's setup looks good. It's basically what I was trying to say, except on an actual setup sheet. Much simpler, lol. I'd still drop down in diff fluid if it was me and I'd run a little lighter oil in 17.5. Also, with all these new stiff rimed tires (gravity, jaco, solaris), it's helpful to glue the front sidewall to prevent traction rolling. Sometimes even half the rear sidewall is needed. If I really care about a race I'll check and reglue as needed after every run. At a bare minimum I usually add a safety bead.
Keven is running mod, where Andrew's is 17. Both setups look good..

What is this gluing the front sidewall you talk about? As far as I can tell, all my side walls are glued to the rim
Old 11-17-2014, 11:24 PM   #1540
Tech Addict

@ Randy Castor, thanks for having a link to Gridworks racing in your sig. Because of you my curiosity got me. I had a look around and ended up ordering the Team Powers setup board and light
Old 11-17-2014, 11:46 PM   #1541
Tech Master

Quote:
Keven is running mod, where Andrew's is 17. Both setups look good..

What is this gluing the front sidewall you talk about? As far as I can tell, all my side walls are glued to the rim
I was just pointing towards Kevs because it'd be more in line with what I'd run, either mod or 17.5. Wide front end, narrow rear, lower roll centers, higher shock oil. Things like that. Everyone's a bit different though. With the variation between these setups it shows the window is wide and it somewhat depends on taste.

Safety bead - tires usually are not glued to my liking out of the package, so I'll many times go around the bead with a light application of CA. If I don't it seems many times the tire will rip off the bead. If it's a race I care about the tires will come off every run and I'll fix the beads as needed.

If there is a good level of traction and with any of the mentioned tires, I'd probably glue up the front sidewalls before even turning a single lap to prevent, or mitigate, traction rolling. Kev, Haynes, and other guys do this as well. The folks I talked to in the A at IIC were doing this as well with the Gravity tires. Awesomatix, xray, etc. Chassis really doesn't matter. I imagine Kev did this for the setup that is posted, it's just not listed. I was at that race and traction was pretty good, as usual at Horsham. Tire was Solaris, not Jaco if I recall correctly.

Basically, run a thin bead of glue around the vertical flat of the outside tire sideway. This stiffens up the sidewall so it doesn't collapse and cause the tire to dig into the track and create a traction roll. It makes the car less edgy. If traction rolling is really bad, the rears can be done as well. It's usually only done half way up the sidewall on the rears.

Last edited by samnelso; 11-17-2014 at 11:57 PM.
Old 11-18-2014, 08:31 AM   #1542
Tech Addict

Thanks Sam, I was wondering what I may be missing. My first set of Jacos (currently running) seem to have an excessive amount of glue to the point of looking like poor workmanship. My second set look nice and clean. They are brand new. So if I read you right you are saying run a smear of CA glue on the sidewall to stiffen it up??

I'm not getting any traction rolls currently on our track. I do have my DR on the Tx set to 92% throw. It gets me around the track with out over steering unless I'm really late on the throttle and brake after the straight. Still no traction rolls, the back end just comes around.. Maybe I don't know what a high grip track is?

That's high Gs you're pulling if you are breaking the beads
Old 11-18-2014, 08:45 AM   #1543
Tech Master

Quote:
Thanks Sam, I was wondering what I may be missing. My first set of Jacos (currently running) seem to have an excessive amount of glue to the point of looking like poor workmanship. My second set look nice and clean. They are brand new. So if I read you right you are saying run a smear of CA glue on the sidewall to stiffen it up?? exactly. Only if there's a problem traction rolling though

I'm not getting any traction rolls currently on our track. I do have my DR on the Tx set to 92% throw. It gets me around the track with out over steering unless I'm really late on the throttle and brake after the straight. Still no traction rolls, the back end just comes around.. Maybe I don't know what a high grip track is?The back end is usually pretty planted in high grip. Even in mod the back end has difficulty breaking free when grip is high. At the nats at horsham a couple years ago the grip was pretty high and if you walked in the groove the carpet would stick to your shoe and lift off the floor.

That's high Gs you're pulling if you are breaking the beads

Old 11-18-2014, 09:43 AM   #1544
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Hey Bing, our track and your setup isn't at that high a grip situation to need the sidewalls glued yet. Just in general this will give a slight push feel to the car, which, if your finding it turns in too fast for you, could help you out a bit. BUT this feel could also be done threw chassis adjustment instead of gluing the sidewall up. I think your current setup just needs a little more rear grip the rest feels pretty good.
Johnny Wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 01:25 PM   #1545
Tech Regular

Guys thanks for the tips and I should have the car on the track shortly. Will let you know how it goes.
Email rugspinner@aol.com
Rugspin is offline   Reply With Quote