R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 07-04-2005, 06:08 PM   #1
Tech Rookie
Tamiya TT01's worth the money??

This last Saturday I went to my local hobby store and I was just browseing through the RC- Section looking for stuff for my TC4 and I just couldn't help by stoping and picking up a Tamiya TT01 NIsmo Z kit while I was looking at it I was wondering if such a cool looking kit for under a 100.00 Dollars is really worth it. Those types of Tamiya kits probably don't even come with bearings and from the look of the design of the chassis it looks kinda cheeseie. So I post this to find out if anybody with these types of Tamiya kits are well satisfied with it, does it perform good?? , and do the TT01 kits come with speed controllers?
Rickster2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 06:11 PM   #2
Tech Champion
R/C Tech Charter Subscriber
Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

I paid 80 buck for a zanavi nismo with a tamiya ESC. Tuned version - TT-01R is now available and have all the hop ups you would need (no body and esc)
Top Racing Photon EX / Mugen MTX-5 / Tamiya M05 / 3 Racing FGX & F113 / Kyosho RB5

Western Zydney Racers (Mini-Z Racing in the west)
danjoy25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 08:28 PM   #3
Tech Regular

I would have to say that I'm quite satisfied with this kit.
However, I have dumped a lot of money into it. The money I put into it could've bought me a TB02 kit, which is much more worth it in terms of price.

If you're just going to stick with minor upgrades, than it's okay. However, if you want a better car, go with a TB02. Especially if I don't wnt to put down a ton of money and want to mod it like crazy (which I did with the TT01).

My TT01 cost me 125 CDN (including the Tamiya ESC). I am up to about 260 CDN, and this is while trying to be cheap :P. But I have it tuned pretty hardcore and it runs pretty well. I've flipped it many many times (I've seen my car do quadruple side flips too many times), and the soft plastic, although causing some chassis flex, has allowed me to soldier on during a race.
dugrant153 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 08:50 PM   #4
Tech Master

I agree with Rickster.

However,I got a TT01 myself,I use it for my stock class race at the local TCS races.Yes,It does take quite an amount of $$ to make it really race worthy.But,your only need to get some hope ups that really makes a difference.Like Ball Bearing is a must,so are TRF shocks,adjustable camber kit,rear toe in upright and some springs.These items above should be sufficient for your tuning needs.

Then after the above,then you may look at the alumunium steering blocks,ball diffs,front one-way,graphite upper deck for the usage of the front and rear anti roll bars.

I can see its quite a good car for beginners to learn how to tune their cars. As parts are cheap to replace.And its quite a tough car,can sufficiently absorp shocks from bumps and crashes.TB02 gears can't take much crashes,the bevel gears in front will strip quite often and it can amount to quite an amount of $$ eventually.

After a season of TCS race,I only broke 1 steering knuckle from quite a crash that would brake any car...!

Just my 2 cents...
Ben.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 09:58 PM   #5
Tech Fanatic
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

TT-01s are not exactly for racing, but they make a heck of a practice car/beater.
HPI Savage Flux HP | Tamiya TB-03
Thai3g_Eclipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 02:58 AM   #6
Tech Adept

We started up a spec racing class using the TT01 chassis and it's so much fun.
We run with only the following mods allowed:
Bearings , aluminium driveshaft , toe in rear hubs (for stability), 23t Tamiya motors, RZ or TZ (the included ESC has no trouble handling these) the carbon top deck (for bling factor), HPI X-pattern tyres with the stock foam inserts (easy to tech at a glance) Tamiya 1400sp battery packs, and limit the gear ratio by only allowing the stock white spur. Everything else is kit standard.
These things are a gas to drive, even experienced racers are buying them to run as well as their "race" cars. We have awesome freight train "rubbin's racin' son" battles while throwing freindly abuse at each other on the drivers stand.
Excellent value.
Anyway enough of the rant, my point is, if you take them for what they are and don't expect top level racer performance, they're a great car.
Some R.C. stuff.
UNSTABLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 06:09 AM   #7
Tech Elite
Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

hey guy me and a other ppl in the rookie part of the forum have started a tt-01 thread and also the tt-01 i reckon is a awsome car and also some kits do and some dont come with a esc
Alex Ilievski
A Ilievski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 06:38 PM   #8
Tech Regular
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Hey nothing wrong with a TT01 I ahve one as well. I run the TCS races in rally and almost managed to dominate that field. I have bearings, aluminum shaft, camber kit and TFR shocks with I won on the lucky draw. The TT01 is a excellent starter car ir your planning to start out in TCS then work your way up or just bash it around. Not worth spending the big buxs on a car if your not going to continue with the hobby or run in club races.

Toronto Canada
Redwings is offline   Reply With Quote