Search
Like Tree305Likes

Xray X1 - Formula One Car

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 01:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Salkin
In what strange dimension is a 21.5T F1 as fast on a straight as a mod touring car?

What am I missing?
Old 04-13-2015, 01:51 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by macscac
Are many people running a 17.5 in their X1?
no one races this class where i live so i just want to have fun practicing at the track.
seems like thats a quick motor for an F1?
should i stick with 21.5?
With zero boost and rubber tires 17,5 is no problem. Depending on your track, 13,5T might be no problem as well.
Old 04-13-2015, 03:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I should have qualified that with, on our carpet track{100ft straight} my x1 is as fast as a mod touring car. Wide open track is a different story. These guys are running 4.0-4.5's. If you don't believe me,I could care less.
In what strange dimension is a 21.5T F1 as fast on a straight as a mod touring car?

What am I missing?
Old 04-13-2015, 04:59 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by racenut123
I should have qualified that with, on our carpet track{100ft straight} my x1 is as fast as a mod touring car. Wide open track is a different story. These guys are running 4.0-4.5's. If you don't believe me,I could care less.
Considering I run a similar size track, and 17.5 blinky TC's are roughly on par, speed wise, down the straight, I'm afraid you've either made a slight error in your judgment or you run with the worst Mod drivers/cars on planet Earth.
Old 04-13-2015, 06:14 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Skiddins
Considering I run a similar size track, and 17.5 blinky TC's are roughly on par, speed wise, down the straight, I'm afraid you've either made a slight error in your judgment or you run with the worst Mod drivers/cars on planet Earth.
Again, I can care less if you don't believe me. Some people can't see the forest for the trees and I can't blame some like yourself Skiddins. Lack of frontal lobe development is not your fault.

Yeah we have terrible Mod drivers locally. You got me beat,I was wrong!
Old 04-14-2015, 01:18 AM
Tech Elite

Again, I can care less if you don't believe me. Some people can't see the forest for the trees and I can't blame some like yourself Skiddins. Lack of frontal lobe development is not your fault.

Yeah we have terrible Mod drivers locally. You got me beat,I was wrong!
I'm also not bothered whether what I've said bothers you or not , but what we don't want is anyone reading this thread and thinking that the F1's are in any way as fast as a Mod TC when we are all running 21.5 blinky, they're nowhere near (1s 13.5 is also the same as 2s 21.5)

Please show us some video

Last edited by Skiddins; 04-14-2015 at 01:31 AM.
Old 04-14-2015, 07:02 AM
Tech Elite

I'm also not bothered whether what I've said bothers you or not , but what we don't want is anyone reading this thread and thinking that the F1's are in any way as fast as a Mod TC when we are all running 21.5 blinky, they're nowhere near (1s 13.5 is also the same as 2s 21.5)

Please show us some video
My point, if you have reading comprehension issues skiddins was that 21.5 is plenty fast for these cars(f1) and their inherent limitations. My X1 was pacing mod touring on the straight which took me and a couple others in practice by surprise. Never said they had total parity on the track. Sorry I am not so egomaniacal that I would have actually videoed myself in practice to prove my point. I am done personally cluttering this thread.
Old 04-14-2015, 07:26 AM
Tech Fanatic

My X1 was pacing mod touring on the straight which took me and a couple others in practice by surprise.
It took us by surprise too....
Old 04-14-2015, 07:30 AM
Tech Elite

It took us by surprise too....
Old 04-14-2015, 07:31 AM
Tech Elite

Back to topic.
I found using a Tamiya side damper tube with 20k worked OK, but 20k felt softer than the kit shock with 450 in it. I have yet to try anything stiffer.

Anyone else tried a damper tube yet?
Old 04-14-2015, 07:39 AM
sbd
Tech Regular

My point, if you have reading comprehension issues skiddins was that 21.5 is plenty fast for these cars(f1) and their inherent limitations. My X1 was pacing mod touring on the straight which took me and a couple others in practice by surprise. Never said they had total parity on the track. Sorry I am not so egomaniacal that I would have actually videoed myself in practice to prove my point. I am done personally cluttering this thread.
Guys to avoid misunderstanding, lets state it as the 21,5 could be pretty fast in a formula.
Having said that, I do believe a 17,5 boosted could be used in X1 (or any formula) with success and if the regulations allow is a better choice as it avoids thermal stress. I have been running this (as our class is without motor/esc limitations) on carpet and my motor came out barely warm compared to the hot 21.5s doing basically the same times. Indeed on the straight my car is as fast as the slower mod TC cars, which in other hand are not too much faster than the best 17.5 zero boost stocks. On a large 1/8 track my car is faster and more drivable than any 21.5 and has no thermal issues whatsoever. The better mods are faster in any case.
Old 04-14-2015, 07:46 AM
Tech Fanatic

Maybe if you want to go really fast, you shouldn't choose F1 anyway.

The skilled guys at our track, who run 17.5T boosted to the max. on a 5 min run can get a TC to go pretty fast. They sound like mini mods.

I would guess that kind of speed is too much for a F1.
Old 04-14-2015, 07:56 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by sbd
Guys to avoid misunderstanding, lets state it as the 21,5 could be pretty fast in a formula.
Having said that, I do believe a 17,5 boosted could be used in X1 (or any formula) with success and if the regulations allow is a better choice as it avoids thermal stress. I have been running this (as our class is without motor/esc limitations) on carpet and my motor came out barely warm compared to the hot 21.5s doing basically the same times. Indeed on the straight my car is as fast as the slower mod TC cars, which in other hand are not too much faster than the best 17.5 zero boost stocks. On a large 1/8 track my car is faster and more drivable than any 21.5 and has no thermal issues whatsoever. The better mods are faster in any case.
I haven't had a run yet, either indoors (30m straight) or outside (45m straight) where the ETS spec electrics (Hobbywing Xerun Justock) 21.5 came off as anything other than 'mildly warm' and by that I mean I could easily keep my fingers on it after a 5m race.
Old 04-14-2015, 07:58 AM
Tech Elite

I use the Tamiya tube. 50k seems to work very well with similar action to the stock oil shock. I have also used the Blue Spooge{thickest} from Speedmerchant but have no clue what weight that is. And yes it will make you faster then Mod sedan!

Back to topic.
I found using a Tamiya side damper tube with 20k worked OK, but 20k felt softer than the kit shock with 450 in it. I have yet to try anything stiffer.

Anyone else tried a damper tube yet?
Old 04-14-2015, 11:17 AM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

I have the Tamiya damper tube on mines. I am using the Tamiya damper grease. They have it in hard, medium, and soft variety. Sorry, don't have any specifics on correlating weights, but it feels good and is pretty consistent. I recommend the soft and medium grease. I've been using the greases prior on my other Tamiya F1 cars using the exact same damper tube.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.