R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree43Likes

Old 03-02-2015, 02:33 AM   #616
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta04evah View Post
Thanks luda, it'll be my first Xray car so I'm looking forward to it.

That's what I do with my F113, and done the same with the figjam, moving the battery position can change a cars handling, and what front wing are you using with the Xray, low or high down force one?
Hey Rob, i used the low downforce wing at Castle Hill, but im going to try the high downforce when im down next.

Converting nitro to electric is utter blasphemy.
xrayracer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 02:38 AM   #617
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Thanks luda, it'll be my first Xray car so I'm looking forward to it.

That's what I do with my F113, and done the same with the figjam, moving the battery position can change a cars handling, and what front wing are you using with the Xray, low or high down force one?

Use high. I used the low once and it may as well have not been there. It did nothing at all.
Xr6 turbo. :)
cmy55s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 05:48 AM   #618
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I've had a few FGXs, F103s, and F104s. I've been racing the F1R2 and have been trying to hold out on putting the Xray out on track. Seems that my best lap was bettered by more than 0.5 seconds this weekend, so I may have to change just to have a chance. (Reality)

USVTA member #111
NutDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 11:22 AM   #619
Tech Addict

Interesting discussion about battery placement Pat and Rob.
It's somethings I've been contemplating, not sure which way to go about it.
I'm not near the skill level as you two guys with these things, so I just want to set it up for it to be easy to drive, I'm more than willing to sacrifice a bit of corner speed if im less likely to spin or crash consistently.
bd581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 11:54 AM   #620
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Put your battery East west brad. Makes it easier. Pete has his that way and it's easier to drive then mine.
Xr6 turbo. :)
cmy55s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 12:07 PM   #621
Tech Addict

Thanks pat
Old 03-02-2015, 02:16 PM   #622
Tech Master

Quote:
The one good thing I did like about the Serpent (once I got a replacement chassis) was it's stability under hard braking, it was almost up there with a touring car, could go hard into the turns, jump on the brakes, and didn't even look like getting unsettled, doing a 180 degree turn, and having the car going backwards into the turn.
The other issue I had was with the diff, the diff plates looked, and felt like they were attacked with an angle grinder, spent a while sanding & polishing them smooth. The other issue was the diff kept going loose, so I replaced the nut with a regular nylock one, so had to take wheel, and diff cover off to adjust diff tension.

Good to hear that the Xray is good on R1 tires, as that is one thing I'm wanting, as my F113 is terrible with the Rides on. Once I get the Xray I may convert the front end of the 113 to a F104 front and see if a narrower front end helps at all, but then again I may just leave it, as it's a nice car to drive on colder tracks with less grip.

And F1 going control tires?? OMG I'd hate to see the backlash from that being implemented, let alone proposed, works overseas at events like the TITC, but here drivers like to have their choice of tires for racing (along with tire sizes).
What tires & compounds you using atm on the Xray Pat?

As for the TRF101w, I did consider it, but after owning a couple of Tamiya touring cars, I was turned off them because of the price, and the infamous "Tamiya Slop". I'm not sure if the former applies to the newer Tamiya F1's, or not but it's not something I willing to risk, because after having to order it from overseas, pay for international shipping, along with our shocking $ exchange rate, plus all that i would need to buy extra, I can get an Xray from a local dealer in my city for a similar amount (maybe a little more).

Rob.
Fair enough..i got a good deal off rcmushroom at 280usd including free int shipping which is really good buying as the trf have soo much alloy and carbon so dought it will be sloppy and only ever found that with the carbon/plastic front ends on the tamiya after a while.
I like xray and have had them both off and onroad in the past but got sick of them bringing a new car out each year and why dont they do it every 2x years seems more sense to me...lets hope they dont do this with the f1 but at least an f1 is relatively cheap to up date compared to a TC.
The TRF 101W doesnt need any hopups which i like and super strong and i have plenty of spare wings and a spare body so no drama there and the xray over here would be a 200 dollar more expensive kit so couldnt justify the difference.

SERPENT F110/TEAMPOWERS 21.5.

LOSI 22 2.0/TEAM POWERS 8.5
malcnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 02:51 PM   #623
Tech Addict

They don't really bring out a new car every year or 2. They are really more just upgraded.
Yokomo do the same, TRF do the same, full size car companies do the same.
Personally I think it's just Xrays way of keeping ahead of the aftermarket companies.
Old 03-02-2015, 03:15 PM   #624
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd581 View Post
They don't really bring out a new car every year or 2. They are really more just upgraded.
Yokomo do the same, TRF do the same, full size car companies do the same.
Personally I think it's just Xrays way of keeping ahead of the aftermarket companies.
they(xray) do and sometimes an upgrade and sometimes a new car or model.
I just found when i had xray you would have the new model and before you knew it it was out of date and worth nothing.
full size car companies keep a new model for at least 4x years generally with maybe a facelift after a couple of years which seems more realistic.

SERPENT F110/TEAMPOWERS 21.5.

LOSI 22 2.0/TEAM POWERS 8.5
malcnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 03:36 PM   #625
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Anyone have any experience with the Pardus tires? New to f1. Liked the way the kit looked so decided to try it.
mbykerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 04:18 PM   #626
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbykerman View Post
Anyone have any experience with the Pardus tires? New to f1. Liked the way the kit looked so decided to try it.
IMO they are good for making people quit F1 which is what the locals were doing until we went with a rule set that doesn't force us to run garbage tires. Other than that they do a good job of holding a car up.
Old 03-02-2015, 04:47 PM   #627
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaz955i View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbykerman View Post
IMO they are good for making people quit F1 which is what the locals were doing until we went with a rule set that doesn't force us to run garbage tires. Other than that they do a good job of holding a car up.
+1
A couple years ago the Pardus tires were the hand-out tire for F1 at IIC in Vegas. All but one person agreed that the Pardus tires were worthless. The one person who liked them was employed by Pardus.
Old 03-02-2015, 05:53 PM   #628
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Thanks for the information. I didn't want to spend unnecessary money. Was going to try them because they were a decent price for a set. Not now!!!!
mbykerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 06:31 PM   #629
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Is Pardus still in business?

On the carpet around here, the Tamiya TCS tires are a great starting point. Stormer Hobbies has the Sweep pre-mounts cheap, so I'll try them soon.

USVTA member #111
NutDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 07:10 PM   #630
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

The sweeps are by far the worst tire on the market.

The pit and re branded pit tires are the best performers. Solaris tires also work fine but are slower than pits.
mtveten is offline   Reply With Quote