Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree305Likes

Xray X1 - Formula One Car

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 10:47 PM
Tech Addict

Tamiya Road Wizard waaaaaaay back in the day.
Then more recently, F104pro, then that upgraded to Exotek F1R2, then on to a Serpent F110.
X1 has just arrived, looking forward to see how it compares.
Old 03-01-2015, 11:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NutDriver
Any suggestions on where I might get GRP tires in the US?
Also, who drove other F1 cars before getting the X1? Which F1 cars did you race?
Tamiya F103: Had a few upgrades and was a solid little car to drive, excelled on low grip surfaces with Shimizu tires, but could not keep the same pace when moving to Ride R1's for warmer & higher grip tracks, would still be good to drive but not quick enough to be at the front of the pack.

Serpent F110: Was my 1st mistake in buying a F1 car, terrible quality control with the kit I got, holes at front of main chassis were 1.5mm out of alignment, so the car turned better one way than the other.
Also was ridiculously fragile, lost count of how many of the alloy rear axles I bent, along with numerous other parts that self destructed with a moderate collision with other cars or track barriers.
It got to a stage of, Race one day, buy replacement parts the very next day every time I raced it.

3 Racing F113: Very underrated car with great value for your $, bought a 2nd hand one first, and liked it so much that I bought another one new.
Up to now, I've had most of my racing success with this car, including TQ'ing for a state titles, along with numerous podium places.
Build quality & performance I rate probably up there with Tamiya, easy to build with concise instructions, and stable performance out of the box.

Street Jam: My 2nd & biggest mistake of buying a F1 car, and has been the worst car I have ever owned period. I'm not going to write about my experience with this car, as I have written detailed reports about it in the Street Jam thread, but to sum it up:
Build quality, non existent.
Performance, non existent.

Xray: Ordered today, confident that it will meet my expectations.

Rob.
Old 03-01-2015, 11:27 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Thank you for sharing your experience. I was considering serpent v2 for my next ride and you got me think again.
Old 03-02-2015, 12:07 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by aackjw
Thank you for sharing your experience. I was considering serpent v2 for my next ride and you got me think again.
Just because I had a bad experience with a car doesn't mean everyone does, others that had bought the Street Jam F1 have had great success with them, and the same applies with the Serpent, as others have had good experiences with them.

The V2 Serpent has some innovative changes to it, namely the rear suspension setup, which is ported directly from the 12th scale car, and they would have taken some lessons learned from the first one on board, and worked to address them.

I may be more critical when it comes to quality of car kits than others, or have higher expectations, or just out and out bad luck (which I seem to have more than a fair share of).

Keep your options open, and do as much research as you can on your car kit.
Also try and see if you can look at a car, or even get a drive of one before you make a decision. Doing this can reduce headaches & grief, but doesn't guarantee a bump free ride with your car of choice.

Rob.
Old 03-02-2015, 12:08 AM
Tech Addict

Agree with you about the Serpent Rob.
I'm really happy with how it goes and handles, but I just don't have any confidence in it.
It did have a few small build quality issues, but nowhere near the level of your example.
Old 03-02-2015, 12:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

If we ever go to control r1 ride tires in Australia ( we should ) this car will be awesome. I'm happy with mine but the TOP was a quicker car by far. But I'm still trying to find the sweet spot with my X1.
Old 03-02-2015, 01:02 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cmy55s
If we ever go to control r1 ride tires in Australia ( we should )
Not going to happen
Old 03-02-2015, 01:07 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by ta04evah
Tamiya F103: Had a few upgrades and was a solid little car to drive, excelled on low grip surfaces with Shimizu tires, but could not keep the same pace when moving to Ride R1's for warmer & higher grip tracks, would still be good to drive but not quick enough to be at the front of the pack.

Serpent F110: Was my 1st mistake in buying a F1 car, terrible quality control with the kit I got, holes at front of main chassis were 1.5mm out of alignment, so the car turned better one way than the other.
Also was ridiculously fragile, lost count of how many of the alloy rear axles I bent, along with numerous other parts that self destructed with a moderate collision with other cars or track barriers.
It got to a stage of, Race one day, buy replacement parts the very next day every time I raced it.

3 Racing F113: Very underrated car with great value for your $, bought a 2nd hand one first, and liked it so much that I bought another one new.
Up to now, I've had most of my racing success with this car, including TQ'ing for a state titles, along with numerous podium places.
Build quality & performance I rate probably up there with Tamiya, easy to build with concise instructions, and stable performance out of the box.

Street Jam: My 2nd & biggest mistake of buying a F1 car, and has been the worst car I have ever owned period. I'm not going to write about my experience with this car, as I have written detailed reports about it in the Street Jam thread, but to sum it up:
Build quality, non existent.
Performance, non existent.

Rob.
Rob,
wondering why you didnt consider the TRF101..I just ordered a TRF101W yesterday.
Old 03-02-2015, 01:47 AM
Tech Elite

The one good thing I did like about the Serpent (once I got a replacement chassis) was it's stability under hard braking, it was almost up there with a touring car, could go hard into the turns, jump on the brakes, and didn't even look like getting unsettled, doing a 180 degree turn, and having the car going backwards into the turn.
The other issue I had was with the diff, the diff plates looked, and felt like they were attacked with an angle grinder, spent a while sanding & polishing them smooth. The other issue was the diff kept going loose, so I replaced the nut with a regular nylock one, so had to take wheel, and diff cover off to adjust diff tension.

Good to hear that the Xray is good on R1 tires, as that is one thing I'm wanting, as my F113 is terrible with the Rides on. Once I get the Xray I may convert the front end of the 113 to a F104 front and see if a narrower front end helps at all, but then again I may just leave it, as it's a nice car to drive on colder tracks with less grip.

And F1 going control tires?? OMG I'd hate to see the backlash from that being implemented, let alone proposed, works overseas at events like the TITC, but here drivers like to have their choice of tires for racing (along with tire sizes).
What tires & compounds you using atm on the Xray Pat?

As for the TRF101w, I did consider it, but after owning a couple of Tamiya touring cars, I was turned off them because of the price, and the infamous "Tamiya Slop". I'm not sure if the former applies to the newer Tamiya F1's, or not but it's not something I willing to risk, because after having to order it from overseas, pay for international shipping, along with our shocking $ exchange rate, plus all that i would need to buy extra, I can get an Xray from a local dealer in my city for a similar amount (maybe a little more).

Rob.
Old 03-02-2015, 01:52 AM
Tech Master

Only ran it a few times at Whalan rob. Tried r1 all round and the car drove alright. Went pit medium fronts and it turned in better but still had understeer. So went the soft front Shimizu and the car over steered everywhere which the f104 never did with this combo. So maybe a few more suspension changes with the mediums on it and it might be alright. Rear of the car is a bit nervous. I think it's cause I have my battery North South instead of East west.
Old 03-02-2015, 02:16 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by cmy55s
Only ran it a few times at Whalan rob. Tried r1 all round and the car drove alright. Went pit medium fronts and it turned in better but still had understeer. So went the soft front Shimizu and the car over steered everywhere which the f104 never did with this combo. So maybe a few more suspension changes with the mediums on it and it might be alright. Rear of the car is a bit nervous. I think it's cause I have my battery North South instead of East west.
Having the battery east west will help with grip, mainly on the rear, but you may lose some corner speed. You could also try a stiffer spring up front with the medium shimizu's. When having the battery NS, is there an option to put it in different locations, like move it more forward etc?
Old 03-02-2015, 02:18 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Goodluck with the X1 Rob. Not that you will need it. Looks like an awesome car.
Old 03-02-2015, 02:19 AM
Tech Master

If you use the battery stops then no. But I recon you can if you don't use them and double side tape the pack down like I used to in the top.
Old 03-02-2015, 02:29 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by bd581
Tamiya Road Wizard waaaaaaay back in the day.
Then more recently, F104pro, then that upgraded to Exotek F1R2, then on to a Serpent F110.
X1 has just arrived, looking forward to see how it compares.
Originally Posted by ta04evah

Rob.
Let us know what you think, good and bad
Old 03-02-2015, 02:30 AM
Tech Elite

Thanks luda, it'll be my first Xray car so I'm looking forward to it.

That's what I do with my F113, and done the same with the figjam, moving the battery position can change a cars handling, and what front wing are you using with the Xray, low or high down force one?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.