Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
Is it worth getting the Tamiya TRF417 v5 at this time (October 2013) >

Is it worth getting the Tamiya TRF417 v5 at this time (October 2013)

Is it worth getting the Tamiya TRF417 v5 at this time (October 2013)

Old 10-29-2013, 10:25 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Csaari77
Speedtech preorder for the 418 is $599.
I'm fairly new. If the pre order is 599 is that the final price or the price to reserve one? Lol. I'm Curious

Speed tech is selling the 418 cheaper than the V5 wth,

Also the retail cost of the v5 and the 418 In tamiya a website is like 20$ difference. I'm surprised that it's 599.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:56 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Kakaru
Thanks mate. We do have a big Tamiya store and showroom in Singapore and it is very near my place. My problem is should I overspend my budget to get the Tamiya TRF417v5 which is a top end car while I'm still a newbie.
u from SG also?

a few things to consider.

1. price and availability of parts.
2. track. if SG, we only have BTP and Temasek Poly for onroad. TP track is quite rough, imo.
3. how much of a noob are u? (we all started as a noob somewhere, like myself, and i am still a noob today, so dun be discouraged into getting a race grade chassis just because u r a noob, or a self-proclaimed noob)

TBH, it's always down to individual on how u wanna play ur RC? i believe in getting what i like most, and work from there.

some of my friends wld prefer to have both the basher type and the competitive chassis. reason being that the basher is for fun and learning the hobby, whereas the competitive chassis is more for competitive.

with that being said, i wld say go for the V5 if budget allows. the BD7 is also a pretty good chassis. or maybe u can have a look at the T4, cos if u r from SG, then u shd have spotted a couple of T4 are upz for sale currently.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:08 PM
Tech Addict

forgot to mention, that if u r prepared to pay for the v5, have u also considered the Schumacher Mi-5?

i have very good experiences with Schumacher off road, and they are built like a tank.. the Mi-5 interest me alot, and i've seen a couple in action locally, and they are holy fast even with 17.5t blinky. so, is pretty much ur call, as i rememberd the price of the Mi-5 is not far off from the V5, and there's also a local agent for schumacher in SG now.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:04 AM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by -jacob-
Hey Dan I was assuming that it would be 750 since the V5 was 750. But 599. I guess that's a pretty good. If that price is only a 100 dollar difference from V5. Maybe it's worth it. I would just have to wait and see.

My gut tells me the v5 is better. Just a guess tho
I don't know where you are getting your prices but I could have easily got the V5 for $600 or less when it came out.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:41 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by viktozzz
u from SG also?

a few things to consider.

1. price and availability of parts.
2. track. if SG, we only have BTP and Temasek Poly for onroad. TP track is quite rough, imo.
3. how much of a noob are u? (we all started as a noob somewhere, like myself, and i am still a noob today, so dun be discouraged into getting a race grade chassis just because u r a noob, or a self-proclaimed noob)

TBH, it's always down to individual on how u wanna play ur RC? i believe in getting what i like most, and work from there.

some of my friends wld prefer to have both the basher type and the competitive chassis. reason being that the basher is for fun and learning the hobby, whereas the competitive chassis is more for competitive.

with that being said, i wld say go for the V5 if budget allows. the BD7 is also a pretty good chassis. or maybe u can have a look at the T4, cos if u r from SG, then u shd have spotted a couple of T4 are upz for sale currently.
Yeah... I'm from SG too and only been to BTP once. Did you say X-ray T4 is on discounted price now? Is it X-ray 2014 model and selling in Raceworks@BTP? Pardon me and correct me if my guess is wrong as I'm not very familiar with kits and RC news even in SG
Old 10-30-2013, 11:52 AM
Tech Regular

You're not likely to find a mega deal on a T4'14 at the moment, and I think he's talking about racers selling used T4's. I think that could be a really good option for you.
Old 10-30-2013, 05:38 PM
Tech Addict

Yeah... I'm from SG too and only been to BTP once. Did you say X-ray T4 is on discounted price now? Is it X-ray 2014 model and selling in Raceworks@BTP? Pardon me and correct me if my guess is wrong as I'm not very familiar with kits and RC news even in SG
haha.. i meant to say a few used xray t4..

http://www.rctech.net/forum/singapor...y-t4-sale.html

paiseh, i'm more buggy now than on-road.. still do keep myself updated once in a while.

dependent on ur budget, the 417v5 is still a very competitive car. else, can look at T4, Mi5 & BD7.

for me, my personal preference is the Mi5, since i know how is Schumacher support and their build quality.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:43 PM
Tech Addict

Quality?? I have analyzed and looked at almost every car out there very closely and Awesomatix and Tamiya TRF is by far best.

If I ever bought a non tamiya car, it would be an awesomatix hands down.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:54 PM
Tech Adept

haha.. i meant to say a few used xray t4..

paiseh, i'm more buggy now than on-road.. still do keep myself updated once in a while.

dependent on ur budget, the 417v5 is still a very competitive car. else, can look at T4, Mi5 & BD7.

for me, my personal preference is the Mi5, since i know how is Schumacher support and their build quality.
I see... Thanks mate
Old 10-30-2013, 11:39 PM
Tech Addict

Quality?? I have analyzed and looked at almost every car out there very closely and Awesomatix and Tamiya TRF is by far best.

u mean quality for schumacher, yokomo and xray?

to be honest, i've more in contact with their off-road counter parts, and we are all running mod class. these few brands are quite bomb-proof... to date, i only broke a front arm on my schumacher 4wd buggy in a mid-air orgy and the landing is pretty bad. i had the TRF offroad oso, damn hardy too.

got friends running yokomo and xray, no complaints from them too.

our complaints mainly come from when using other brands, mainly AE and durangos.

usual wear and tear is inevitable on all RC. and even if we are to look at wear and tear, the usual stuff to go is the pulley belts.. and that is something that all racers/ basher wld have to bear with.
Old 10-30-2013, 11:40 PM
Tech Addict

I see... Thanks mate
u r welcome. if u r interested in offroad, do feel free to pop by to Segar this saturday. a while bunch of us running schumachers buggies are over there.

if cant find the address, just go to facebook and look for RC Team Segar

cheers
Old 10-31-2013, 01:12 AM
Tech Adept

Just being curious here. When you said you analyzed almost every cars (I suppose that includes top end car kits like Yokomo BD7 and Xray T4), do you mean that you actually hands on them for a period of time, or you researched through various means like online searching and word of mouth?
Old 10-31-2013, 01:19 AM
Tech Adept

u r welcome. if u r interested in offroad, do feel free to pop by to Segar this saturday. a while bunch of us running schumachers buggies are over there.

if cant find the address, just go to facebook and look for RC Team Segar

cheers
Thanks for the invitation Viktozzz. I would visit you guys if I'm going into buggy yeah.
Old 10-31-2013, 08:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Just being curious here. When you said you analyzed almost every cars (I suppose that includes top end car kits like Yokomo BD7 and Xray T4), do you mean that you actually hands on them for a period of time, or you researched through various means like online searching and word of mouth?
I looked at the top, xray, tamiya when I was looking for one, I went with the trf417 as everyone seems to be switching from xray and other brands, not to mention parts support. Owned it for 3 months racing every weekend and not a broken part until I went to tamiya track last week and broke a c hub after I hit the wet section and when straight to the curb.

By the way just because someone got a discount for the v5 don't mean everyone did. I remember people paying 580-700 for it when it came out.
Old 10-31-2013, 11:02 AM
Tech Addict

u mean quality for schumacher, yokomo and xray?

to be honest, i've more in contact with their off-road counter parts, and we are all running mod class. these few brands are quite bomb-proof... to date, i only broke a front arm on my schumacher 4wd buggy in a mid-air orgy and the landing is pretty bad. i had the TRF offroad oso, damn hardy too.

got friends running yokomo and xray, no complaints from them too.

our complaints mainly come from when using other brands, mainly AE and durangos.

usual wear and tear is inevitable on all RC. and even if we are to look at wear and tear, the usual stuff to go is the pulley belts.. and that is something that all racers/ basher wld have to bear with.
Started with a HPI Sprint 2 RTR to learn how to drive. it took me about 3 months to finally be able to do a full race without hitting the wall. Wiithin the 3 months, i did a ton of reading online, reviews, word of mouth, etc etc. until i pulled the trigger on a brand new Team associated TC6.1

I picked it because of parts support in my area and since i know that i have to then learn to take tighter turns, i will crash and break a lot...

It turned out that parts support was not realy a factor since you still need to stock up on parts. it is no guarantee that the local suport will have what you break. I regreted getting a TC6.1 luckily i sold it for a good price. I felt like I spent more time fixing what i broke than really drving the car. I broke something almost every time I raced.
The quality of plasitc pieces is really word of mouth.. Xray seems to be the recommendation by most i should have listened and went with an XRay.

When i looked at the way the car is designed, how the aluminum is cut, what screws are used, just the overall design here is what have observed:

TC6.1, Serpet - quality and build seems very similar aluminum parts
Xray, Yokomo, Schumacher,TCXX - parts are nice and design is great, aluminum is better quality.
Tamiya TRF, Awesomatix - quality and design in a different level.

I was able to touch, feel, look closely a BD7, Schumacher,
A friend was in the middle of buidling a Xray T4 and I was able to analyze the aluminum and other parts.
Another guy i knew had a TCX and Awesomatix that i was able to check out as well.

I built an F1 which was first TRF. The aluminum, silicone o rings, carbon, carbon reinforced plastics, flouring coated screws etc. was beyond what i have seen from the other cars that i have touched.

Because of how extremely satisfied i was with my TRF 101. I decided to go with the TRF 417v5.
I is hands down more durable. i have taken some hard hits and crashed a bunch, i have only broken a C hub... on top of that it did not shatter it was just cracked.. i noticed it because there was more slop on one side lol..

After building 2 TRF's, Iwas like never again i will buy any other cars besides a TRF.. if there was a TRF Mini i would have it too.. hahaha.

Xray from what i see is the best car for what it cost.

Awesomatix, is the only car that has mostly carbon and aluminum parts... i was told it is very durable but its like 800 bucks. lol.

At the end of the day, you can make any of these cars perform... they are all race cars. Most or some are going need some sort of tuning, additional parts etc etc. which is entirely what helped me decide what car to get next.

I wanted a car that for durability and also car that once i build it, i wont have to buy any additional parts. like bladders, different suspension, O-rings, etc etc. which is the experience that i had with my TC6.1. it was aweful.

TRF cost a lot but A+ out of the box no necessary upgrades.
Xray i think is also good out of the box, not sure how good their shocks are.
Never heard anything bad about the Awesomatix... maybe because its awesome. lol

I also went with all Tamiya because parts compatibilty with each other. Also I have not decided what i would like to focus on since i enjoy my F1, MINI and my 2 Sedans. I have a 12th scale still in the box that i would like to play with soon. I basically have a car for each class so i can experience all then decided what i want. Shelf the others and bring em out once in a while.

Last edited by -jacob-; 10-31-2013 at 11:50 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.