Wiki Posts
Search

6 minute Roar Stock

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2002, 04:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default 6 minute Roar Stock

Hey, I posted this on Trinity.. so I thought I'd try here. But who would like to see Touring Stock races raised from 5 minutes to 6 minutes or more? 1/12th races for 8minutes. Of course they ARE lighter. But with the newer batteries... I figure why not go up on Stock Touring. Just a way to take advantage of the technology coming out now. I'd love to do 8 minute Touring Stock. But I think too many people will whine about that. hehee.... Any thoughts or comments?
Old 08-30-2002, 04:20 PM
Tech Elite

Definately!

I do think there is a limit, remember because there are also people waiting to race, and the longer the races are, the longer they have to wait.

I think 6 minutes in stock would be great though.
Old 08-30-2002, 04:44 PM
RCTech Member #2

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I would totally agree with bumping it up to another minute.
Old 08-30-2002, 04:45 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default Re: 6 minute Roar Stock

Originally posted by KilRuf
Hey, I posted this on Trinity.. so I thought I'd try here. But who would like to see Touring Stock races raised from 5 minutes to 6 minutes or more? 1/12th races for 8minutes. Of course they ARE lighter. But with the newer batteries... I figure why not go up on Stock Touring. Just a way to take advantage of the technology coming out now. I'd love to do 8 minute Touring Stock. But I think too many people will whine about that. hehee.... Any thoughts or comments?
IMO- Racing isn't ready for longer races. The batteries are getting better but the motors are still a step or two behind. The Reedy stock mototrs already run hot and that extra 60 seconds will only make things worse. If they do it for stock then mod is next and 6 min mod in the heat will suck. Getting one run a a set of brushes may be what we have to look foward to. I could be wrong but the way things are going the 3600's will be out shortly after Christmas.
Old 08-30-2002, 05:16 PM
Super Moderator

Actually, MVP's can take it for a 6 minute run, though they do get hot as you can imagine. At my local carpet track, we have already done 6 minute stock races, & it worked pretty well(though admittedly the motors do wear a bit more). It's fun when you feel you have time to afford a mistake or two...
Old 08-30-2002, 05:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I'm for 6 minute stock. I think the issue with motors is just a small technicality. I mean, you have to gear a little different to run 5 minute mod right? Well, the same holds true for stock too. Brush composition can make a big difference too. Correct me if I'm wrong, but you can use a different brush to keep the motor from wearing the comm extremely fast and therefore reducing heat production at the small cost of a few watts. Remember, everyone has the smae hurdles to overcome.
Old 08-30-2002, 07:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I would be willing to run a 6 minute race.....I think I will ask my racers at the next meet if they would accept that challenge.

BDR :: Try it out at MSRA and I will at HTRLrc. BTW, great run at Region 9!
Old 08-30-2002, 08:04 PM
Tech Master

make stock into 19turn and then bump up to 6min.
that would be fun it you could get the run time!

I agree, No way would I want to run my stocker motors for 6 min. can you say hot!!!!!
Old 08-30-2002, 08:33 PM
Tech Elite

Default Re: Re: 6 minute Roar Stock

Originally posted by STLNLST

IMO- Racing isn't ready for longer races. The batteries are getting better but the motors are still a step or two behind. The Reedy stock mototrs already run hot and that extra 60 seconds will only make things worse. If they do it for stock then mod is next and 6 min mod in the heat will suck. Getting one run a a set of brushes may be what we have to look foward to. I could be wrong but the way things are going the 3600's will be out shortly after Christmas.
Solution - Run Trinity stock motors. This forces Reedy to develope a stocker that runs cooler.
Old 08-30-2002, 09:19 PM
Tech Elite

19t for 6 minutes no problem. But as for Stockers and 6 minutes, I see it like this.... most parking lot tracks/races have people that don't have experience or care for their motors. You seem them out there for like 9 minutes practicing on one pack. So this will be no different for them as far as Wear and Tear. As for people like me... I run more than One Armature on race day. So I take care of my motors. Yes motors do run hot sometimes. Just depends on when and where you race. Gearing and brushes all play a key role. Once people learn that. Then they know it can be done. Anyways, it's just a thought. How do you gear your Mod on a hot day????
Old 08-30-2002, 09:34 PM
Tech Champion

Default Re: Re: Re: 6 minute Roar Stock

Originally posted by Speedo

Solution - Run Trinity stock motors. This forces Reedy to develope a stocker that runs cooler.
Trinity's green machine can barely handle a 5 min race now

I just think that a move to 6 min racing would push people out of the hobby. This would DEFINATELY force new comers to buy packs with more run time just to run a club race. The only thing good for the hobby that I can see from this is Nitro entries will be on the rise. Again this is just my opinion.
Old 08-30-2002, 10:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Good point Clint- maybe the Expert stock classes could run 6 minutes and the sportsman class and novice could stay at 5 to keep the cost down...

RC Cadet- thanks for the congrats... I wish I had done better, but it took me all weekend to get the car to a decent tune, then once I got it where it felt fast, I had no time to get used to it. Unforunately I'm not like Ron and all those guys... I have to ran a few packs without changing anything just to get to the point I can make a clean 5 minutes. Hopefully one day I'll be able to tune and drive like the Austin guys. I was really impressed with David Joor's skillz.
Old 08-31-2002, 12:12 AM
Tech Champion

BigDogRacing- I would fall into the Nitro category on this issue....as well as a few other mod racers that I have spoken with over the last week. The battery war is out of hand right now and the motors are two steps behind. For two years I've heard about this brushless motor but have yet to see one. If they're out already then Sacramento is behind the times.....LOL Brush wear was killer at 4min and at 5 min it's okay but 6min on an outdoor track with temps as high as 150........I'll go gas before I'd spend the money to get tons of brushes and extra motor arms.

Until something like this happens I'll stick with my 5min.
Old 08-31-2002, 01:16 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

I'm all for 6 minute races. If you have to gear a little different that's fine, if you have to use different brushes, that's fine too, I love to race and the longer the better. 6 minutes isn't bad, and really in my opinion the reason a lot of newcomers start out in nitro is because they like to run longer and nitro let's them do that while electric is always 5 minutes regardless. Even with 3000 sportpacks or whatever 6 minutes is very durable. I use GreenMachines whenever I run stock and if you gear them right you will never burn one and you can definitely run 6 minutes I don't car what motor you have.
Old 08-31-2002, 06:14 AM
Tech Elite

I'm against 6 minute races.

Why? Stock is at heart an "affordable" class, and newbies/low-budget racers can compete with 2000's.

Pushing it up to 6 mins will make 2400/3000's a necessity - and that equals expense.

And expense equals pushing people away from racing.

Also, it's nice to run the same number of minutes as the other classes, gives you an idea of your overall pace.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.