Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best RTR for under $400?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 11:58 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Have You considered a used tamiya 417? You can find them here in the for sale section for 200-270 with parts wheels and body. You can also get a hobbywing combo (esc, motor choice and tuner card) for around 160-180 new! I'm not fond of buying used electronic stuff as its like nitro sometimes you buy some else issues or overheated stuff. You can also get a hobbywing 50amps just stock esc for 60 bucks or the combo for 130 if you don't want the 80-120 amp from the more expensive combo.

When you buy rtrs you get stuck running the wrong class where You don't belong because of the motor, so if if novice don't allow open motor you're stuck In mod which is not good for starting out. And most rtr don't have the right tires to race with so add another 30-50 for a nice set.

Here locally rtr is more expensive because You have to turn around and buy either a 17.5 motor (novice, gt2 intermediate) or 21.5 for gt3, tires and body. So you are better off with a nice race entry level car and buy a new 17.5 combo that you can run In novice (If they require that locally) or gt intermediate so the same motor can be used when you decide to change classes.
Old 10-28-2013, 03:41 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Tamiyas ta series cars are good for learning the dynamics and tuning a car. Then you could move up to a trf car.
Old 10-28-2013, 04:26 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I would stay away from the apex, i got one for my son and the chassis is almost untunable. All camber links etc are solid non adjustable I swapped them out with adjustable ones but but the car breaks every time you look at it sideways. I gave him my tc4 and he's instantly competitive in rc gt. The serpent is a great rtr package but comes with a 9.5 turn motor I believe. So to start you'll be best in a 17.5 gt class so would have to swap out the motor. Just my 2c.
Old 10-28-2013, 04:28 PM
Tech Regular

Or buy the serpent 411 sport and kit it out with a hobbywing motor esc
Old 10-28-2013, 05:08 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I just want to be honest because not everyone needs or has the driving skills to handle a racing touring setup. They need the basic setup without adjustability so they can focus on driving. In regards to motor, I can get a vta setup for pretty cheap and you should be able to as well. I always throw kit motors away if I'm racing. Like others have said, they're more meant for a parking lot and not a racing class. Glad my response was helpful. I think as long as your goal is to be a better driver and have fun, you'll be good with almost everything. Sure, people want to win... but many onroad newbies(myself included) get so caught up on speed that they forget they actually have to finish a race. People told me I was slow and not competitive. You know what? I survived and only broke two parts on my TT the entire race season in VTA. I kept at it and got better every week. With hard work, I took home the championship. This meant beating Xrays, Ta03 cars, Tc6s, and other high end rigs. Mods a different animal entirely, but if you want to jump in low and cheap... you're on the right track.
Old 10-28-2013, 05:31 PM
Tech Rookie

I do appreciate all the replies and help. I am looking around the classifieds and at kits as well.

I can't find the S411 sport kit anywhere new, only the Eryx, which is a bit too much.

Just missed a nice TC6.1 too! Shoot!

Originally Posted by scooby61
Or buy the serpent 411 sport and kit it out with a hobbywing motor esc
Is Castle Creations no good anymore, or just overpriced? A couple years ago they were top dogs. Hobbywing the go-to bang-for-buck brushless now?
Old 10-28-2013, 06:26 PM
Tech Regular

I'll say my last bit on this issue. Castle is good but the hobby wing stuff is excellent bang for the buck.
Also one thing I learned starting out is you can drive a fast car slow but you can't drive a slow car fast. With today's programmable escs and radios you can soften your throttle and steering until you're ready for more. There will always be experienced racers at the track willing to help you adjust your suspension. An ill handleing car that isn't adjustable will frustrate you right out of the hobby. It simply doesn't matter how slow you're going if you can't make the turn. And it will teach you bad habits because you're fighting the car that you will have to unlearn later. Not to mention buying another car instead of dialing yours up a little at a time as you improve.
Old 10-28-2013, 06:28 PM
Tech Regular

Oh and absolute hobbyz had the sport in stock last time I looked
Old 10-28-2013, 08:45 PM
Tech Rookie

I do agree that you can always tame things down, but not the opposite way. At the same time, I don't need to start in the upper tier of cars if I don't even know if I'm gonna stick with on-road or get serious.

Man does that Ofna H4 Kit look good. But that would put me pretty far above my budget, with the kit at $360. My LHS is an Ofna dealer, maybe I'll see what I can work out.

I'll keep skimming the classifieds and eBay and see what I can find.

My fallback is a Serpent S411 RTR as of now.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:52 AM
Tech Addict

Do NOT get that RTR if you want to go racing.

The Serpent S411 Sport is a good option.

But if you really want to go racing on the cheap and still have the hardware to compete, look no further than the ...

Spec-R S1 for $129. Then you can spend what you like on the electronics.

Spec-R R1 is $315 and comes with carbon and aluminum.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:00 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by .crispy
Do NOT get that RTR if you want to go racing.

The Serpent S411 Sport is a good option.

But if you really want to go racing on the cheap and still have the hardware to compete, look no further than the ...

Spec-R S1 for $129. Then you can spend what you like on the electronics.

Spec-R R1 is $315 and comes with carbon and aluminum.
Those are nice looking rides for the money and 3racing sakura as well only concern there is parts support.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:16 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Those are nice looking rides for the money and 3racing sakura as well only concern there is parts support.
Yep good point.

I would rather pay more up front, and get parts support. then get a car I cant get parts for.
Old 10-29-2013, 11:19 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 1210 (100%+)

RTR really isn't the way to go. buy a decent roller like the TT01(make sure there is a class) 3racing or TC4 depending on parts support in your area. Don't skimp on cheaper electroinics, but don't buy top $$$. If running 17.5 is the fastest motor you plan to run you don't need a top $$$ ESC anyway. $50 speed passion, hobbywing, etc will do. I would stay away from the clones like HK. Start out in a spec class like TT01, USVTA, or USGT which is plenty fast. Not huge amount of options for tires and such.

Read, practice, talk to guys at the track, read again, tune, practice, talk to guys at the track, read, practice again.
repeat.

MOST current TC cars are competitive in USVTA club races.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:45 PM
Tech Addict

Non-Issue.

Yes, you can't get parts at your LHS, but TQ RC has everything in stock all the time. Inexpensive parts. I get parts from CA to IN in 2-3 days every single time. Every single time.
Old 10-29-2013, 07:31 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Rtr now, learn how to drive set up that whole deal, if you like it upgrade to something better. If not then youre not out alot of money.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.