Wiki Posts
Search

Big race, spec tire for stock 1/12

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 08:02 PM
Tech Regular

I am not a fan of spec tire for 1/12 but spec tires for 1/12 are offered here

https://www.facebook.com/ProOneRc?hc_location=timeline

There have been several people ask for these so some were made.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:29 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

How many 12th scale stock racers out there bring several different compounds to a club race ?

Just curious
I would like to see a wider view of how you guys roll, more than what I have seen locally, or at the only Big Race I have witnessed first hand such as the IIC

...and yes I know the thread title refers specifcally to a Big Race spec tire
Old 11-05-2013, 08:44 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (60%+)

Coming from someone thats getting back into rc car racing starting in 1/12 is harder then lets say WGT or 17.5 TC. Set-up in 1/12 has way to many factors. So if you make a spec tire great...im all for it. But happens when i get good and want to move up in a class? Will im buying different compounds! So whats the point cause know im behind all over again.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:55 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RedBullFiXX
How many 12th scale stock racers out there bring several different compounds to a club race ?
Never.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:15 PM
Tech Fanatic

I think that experimenting with a spec tire at a big race would be very interesting, but the class would need to be renamed. This class should be renamed 1/12th, 17.5 amateur or sportsman. This way the class would only be open to non supported, non sponsored drivers. Make it a cost effective close racing class. Other classes can be 13.5 and modified. Let the big dogs run any tire they want.

For years I've read threads with people complaining about sponsored fast guys dominating 17.5 and/or the olds 27 turn stocks. Honestly any manufacturer that doesn't try to win every race they can is badk for business. Win on sunday, sell on monday.

If the spec tire class doesn't produce the desired results, drop it.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:29 PM
Tech Fanatic

Just curious
I would like to see a wider view of how you guys roll, more than what I have seen locally, or at the only Big Race I have witnessed first hand such as the IIC

Guilty. I bring about four different compounds to the track, but typically end up running the same compounds weekend after weekend.
Old 11-05-2013, 10:01 PM
Tech Champion

Just curious

As race director I don't have a lot of time to make setup changes let alone tire changes so I stick to a known tire that I run every race.

For big races (IIC) The first couple of years I went I bought tires at the track and tried different compounds. But I found that I needed to concentrate more on getting the track down (driving) with a setup that is close enough than to spend time fine tuning and potentially ruining a setup. So I started just getting 1 tire combination for the entire week and sticking with that.

Originally Posted by racer034life
Coming from someone thats getting back into rc car racing starting in 1/12 is harder then lets say WGT or 17.5 TC. Set-up in 1/12 has way to many factors. So if you make a spec tire great...im all for it. But happens when i get good and want to move up in a class? Will im buying different compounds! So whats the point cause know im behind all over again.
I find there are enough knowledgeable people out there that I usually have the setup and tires down before I even leave for the event. From there I may make a few minor tweaks here or there but I find I don't make much changes because I need more time to concentrate on my driving than on the setup.
Old 11-05-2013, 11:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by T-Hawk
This would be GREAT! This is the reason why I have shyed away from 12th Scale.
Ryan I pretty much run 1 combo of tires black and yellow. Have I tried other combos? Yes,but black and yellow always feel the best for me. I would have no problem with a spec tire at big races only if the compounds of choice are a common go to for most like a yellow, black or a yellow, chrome.
Old 11-06-2013, 03:39 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Ficco - did you start this thread last year too??

At iic you only need one compound pair-- black f, greylow or orange r. This combo works in 1/12 17.5 unless the track has zero grip or is bumpy (like the old gate).

I know there are all of these exotic tires out there... But for stock this combo works fantastically well. Grey rears aren't a bad option either ... Especially if your car won't turn..
Old 11-06-2013, 03:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NolanP
LIMIT to tire sets...like other big races you only get X sets of tires you can use in a weekend.
And chunking a tire in practice limits your tire options in qual's and mains, no thanks.

I've raced a few big races (though not in years), and am slowly getting back into it. I'd be for a spec tire, but limits on the number of pairs would stink.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:13 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Why not just get the mfg's on board with some rubber tires?
Old 11-06-2013, 04:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

IMHO, No spec tire. Too many driving styles and choices for set-up. And the argument 'it works for WGT' I still have yet to see WGT actually catch on. Sure there are a few groups running it but no where near the turnout that 1/12th gets.
Personally that would be the last straw for me, this hobby has seen enough poor rule changes, back pedaling on technology, and whining. When it all is said and done the most expensive classes out there are SPEC, because someone will buy a case of tires and sort for the ones on the low side of the shore rating, etc....

As a promoter, I'll let someone else take the job before I screw up one of the longest running mostly untouched classes out there.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:46 AM
Tech Master

I came back into R/C racing because of the WGT spec tires. I loved 1/12 but hated messing with the tire compound combos.
Oval racing that most of you probably don't follow has been experimenting with spec tires for several years and believe me tire choices on a oval car are even more critical. This past year has seen a change in most of the series where the 13.5 spec class has gained strength. They switched from a spec tire that had a couple of compounds (the yellow striped spec tires) to the WGT tires. Many racers have now switched from the 17.5 open class to the 13.5 spec class. If you ask the racers that did so their main reason was the tires.
On a side note: I would seriously consider running 1/12 th. if there was a spec tire for carpet.
Pavement is a entirely different animal and there would be serious issues and those would need to be addressed separately.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:45 AM
Tech Elite

"Ascends soapbox"......

This, to me is, a horrible idea. The myriad of different chassis and driving styles, makes this a situation that is likely to alienate more racers than it would ever attract. At the '09 Halloween Classic, there were several different tire combinations present in the A-main. I know of racers that ran White/Grey, Yellow/ Grey, Orange/Black, Orange/Lilac, Yellow/Black, and Yellow/Magenta. Qualifying times were very close, and it seems each driver had maximized their package to their advantage.

How many different compounds did I bring to that race? One combination, Yellow/Magenta. How did I arrive at that combination? A modicum of testing at my club track, showed me what I wanted the car to feel like, and that's the combo that offered that feel.

I will never understand why we want to "spec" all the tuning out of classes at big races. These are events that are showcases of drivers' talents, both tuning and at the wheel. If a club chooses to spec tires for their members, then that's fine, but you'll likely end up seeing everyone running the same chassis, and set-up because you've had to find what works best on the spec tire, rather than what tire works best on the car you have.

The WGT argument holds little water to me. The chosen compound for that class is less than ideal, but the chassis dimensions, as well as the larger/different front to rear contact patch make for a different animal.

"steps down from soapbox"

Now for an even better question...... Can we get a SPEC FOAM TC class going???
Old 11-06-2013, 10:03 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Hell no... Don't with foam tc

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.