Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Products Again!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2002, 04:40 PM
Tech Master

Unhappy New Products Again!!!

Has anybody been to Trinity's website today? If you have you will have seen that we are being smacked with more new products!! This time it is motors. When is this going to slow down? New technology is great but couldnt we slow down to maybe 1 new battery and 1 new motor style a year so we can wear out the racing gear we already have?
R/C racing is turning out to be like the computer market. When you go to the store and buy a new computer that you think is on the cutting edge it is already yesterdays news!
I realize that new is not always better but come on, if a person was to try and stay up with all the new technology you would have to replace batteries every 3 months, motors every six months, esc's 6-8 months, chargers every year, the list goes on. I like new things just as much as the next racer but wow, somebody needs to take some time off and get some sleep!! Maybe for a year or so?
Old 08-29-2002, 06:18 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I don't know, I'm a little torn on the subject. I mean, I do work for a living so it does bother me when I feel I NEED to spend a lot on a new set of battery packs(though I think it may stabilize a bit now, the 3300's look nice but don't appear to be so good that 3000's would be obsolete yet), but on the other hand, I'm a gadget guy, so I love new technology. Also, I know of tracks(like Wings-n-Things in Tulsa) where you can be competitive with a good example of most ANY motor(truth be told, the original P2K may still be best suited to it), but some of the newest motors I think offer a more versatile powerband so they'd be competitive at a larger number of tracks. The P2K 2 is a pretty good example, as it seemed to be the motor of choice at the US Touring car Championships in Milwaukee(& it's what I used, while it may not have been ideal, it did run pretty strong, & it also works well at Wings, Adams Creek & many others). I am curious about the newest Trinity motor, I'm hopeful that it'll be set up to work like the P2K2 does, but just do it a little better(if so, it could become the ONLY stock you'll need). But as with most new goodies, I intend to wait & see what the word is from the experts(& hopefully do some testing of my own) before I plunk down my money for it(though I'll admit I am VERY tempted by the price of ProMatch's GP3300's, their price is actually better than that of the Sanyos or Panasonics, & the early word on performance is good)...
Old 08-29-2002, 07:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

they are really only worth the money though for mod (for the extra run time), although that new stock motor looks very nice, and i will get a few to test out once i can (since one can be a dud some of the time, and besides i used up the comms on my others, lol)
Old 08-29-2002, 07:27 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I could be wrong but I belive that trinity came out with 1 new stock and mod motor last year. I also belive that ROAR has a limit on the number of stock motors that a company can submit each year and its 1. As far as the batteries go Trinity or any other RC company has very little to do with how that progress'. That is another industry all in its own and we are a drop in the bucket to them. So when they make bigger and faster batteries is not because the RC world demands it, its what they want to bring forth and we just adopt it. If you race at the club level you dont need all the stuff that Trinity or other companies bring out all the time. Like if you race at your local parking lot track with 20 guys every week and you run 2000's and clean house then NO you dont need to go get the new battery. But if you go to National races that people from all over come to then yes you will need to keep up with the "Jones" as they say to stay close. And remember No one is making you buy this stuff unless you want to spend the money on it. I really dont think that new batteries and stuff like that is getting out of hand its just the way that the industry is progressing and you dont have to buy what comes out all the time.
Old 08-29-2002, 08:47 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Anyone noticed that the D5 motor pictured, uses bushes not bearings?
Old 08-29-2002, 09:10 PM
Tech Master

I am more amazed than complaining. Yes, I did see that the new D5 had bushings in the pic of the can. Weird??
The new batteries will make the sport cheaper for a new person coming in which is good.
Kevin, you are absolutely correct in saying you dont have to buy the newest of everything. Like I said, new is not always better.

Technology is racing faster than we are!!!
Old 08-30-2002, 12:01 AM
Tech Elite

Of course, if you run your motors (stock or mod) for six months straight. . .wow, you're getting more life than I am. . .

I wonder if it will go back to the all around champ of the P2K or just be another P2K2. . .(never really liked that thing. . .)
Old 08-30-2002, 04:40 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Not a very attractive picture on the stock motor, looks like a green Barney to me. That circuit board on the end has me worried too. What ever happened to soldiering 3 caps on the motors? Atleast you knew your glitches werent from them if they were fixed in place with soldier.
Old 08-30-2002, 05:15 AM
RCTech Member #2

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally posted by Boomer
Of course, if you run your motors (stock or mod) for six months straight. . .wow, you're getting more life than I am. . .
I haven't bought a new motor since Jan. I still use the motors i bought about this time, last year.

I have 3 cans in all, but 5 armatures. All either p2k (2) , p2k2 (1), or Gm3 (2).
Old 08-30-2002, 08:16 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

What about the comments I read in the recent past about 19T Spec motors becoming the stock motor?
Old 08-30-2002, 09:01 AM
Tech Regular

Did they ditch the P94 brush system already with the D5?
Old 08-30-2002, 09:06 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by RCCadet
What about the comments I read in the recent past about 19T Spec motors becoming the stock motor?
boy do I hope THAT never happens. . .
Old 08-30-2002, 09:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Looks like it will take me 3 seconds to rip that circuit board off the endbell..... If they want to add a feature like this why don't they just solder the caps and be done with it...... I mean save us a few dollars and quit with this new "cutting edge" crap that we just undo anyhow!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-30-2002, 11:19 AM
Tech Master

Whats with the flat wire on the D5? To me it looks like a marketing gimik?
Old 08-30-2002, 11:32 AM
ruf
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I thought flat/square wire was illegal for ROAR/IFMAR.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.