R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-18-2014, 02:26 PM   #61
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

To add my own 2 cents in, I much prefer the GX to the P37. Helped me become more consistant and is a littl less twitchy than the P37. Less steering overall as noted by others and easier to drive it seems.

Durability is good with the light-weight version with nothing special to note for issues.

Getting ready to paint up my 2nd and 3rd!
mkiiina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 03:32 PM   #62
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colbynobo View Post
Very cool. So, when can we read the results of your comparison test?
If nothing changes my plans, I want to do the test tomorrow.

@OttoKrosse: Beautyful car! Don't try to destroy it
Old 06-18-2014, 03:46 PM   #63
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)

So to sum it up, steering: LTCR>Speed 6>P37>GX??
Rear traction: GX>Speed 6>P37>LTCR?
Old 06-18-2014, 04:11 PM   #64
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuvet75 View Post
So to sum it up, steering: LTCR>Speed 6>P37>GX??
Rear traction: GX>Speed 6>P37>LTCR?
Clearly, everyone's results may vary, but my experience leads me to say:

Steering: GX > LTC-R > P37 > Mazdaspeed6
Rear Traction: GX > LTC-R > Mazdaspeed6 > P37

One of the most noticeable things to me is how much more downforce is experienced with the GX. I particularly notice this when comparing straight-away speeds between the GX and the Mazdspeed6 about 3 or 4 minutes into a run when the battery has lost a little charge.
Colbynobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 08:17 PM   #65
Tech Master

Quote:
Clearly, everyone's results may vary, but my experience leads me to say:

Steering: GX > LTC-R > P37 > Mazdaspeed6
Rear Traction: GX > LTC-R > Mazdaspeed6 > P37

One of the most noticeable things to me is how much more downforce is experienced with the GX. I particularly notice this when comparing straight-away speeds between the GX and the Mazdspeed6 about 3 or 4 minutes into a run when the battery has lost a little charge.
Thanks u for sharing. Do u mean Gx is slower in straightaway?
Old 06-18-2014, 10:12 PM   #66
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuvet75 View Post
Thanks u for sharing. Do u mean Gx is slower in straightaway?
It certainly looks that way. However, what it (seemingly) loses in straightaway speed it more than compensates for with cornering speed in the infield. In fact, I actually like how it performs on the infield more than the LTC-R. I probably need to spend a whole evening just focusing on the GX and setting up my car and driving style around it as opposed to my Mazdaspeed6. I've recently mounted a Mazdaspeed6 in an aggressively forward position and I'm trying to figure out if that'll give me the driving characteristics that I seek.
Old 06-18-2014, 10:27 PM   #67
Tech Master

Quote:
It certainly looks that way. However, what it (seemingly) loses in straightaway speed it more than compensates for with cornering speed in the infield. In fact, I actually like how it performs on the infield more than the LTC-R. I probably need to spend a whole evening just focusing on the GX and setting up my car and driving style around it as opposed to my Mazdaspeed6. I've recently mounted a Mazdaspeed6 in an aggressively forward position and I'm trying to figure out if that'll give me the driving characteristics that I seek.
It sounds definitely worth the investigation. Keep us posted.
Old 06-19-2014, 08:54 AM   #68
DBM
Tech Addict

I'm on my 3rd GX body now, but still swap back and forth with my other bodies once in a while for comparison. What I've noticed is in line with Colbynobo..... going from the LTC-R and Sweep STC4 back to the GX, the gx gives up very little in steering but gains a bunch of rear end stability/rear grip. I can drive much harder/more agressively without losing the rear end. Front end still turns in great.
The GX is definitely more blocky in shape, so it would give up some top speed at the end of high speed straights, but likely would only be noticeable on tracks with long straights. On the tiny 6 second local track that I run on, there is not much to be lost on the short straight at all.

The next configuration that I want to try is the RIDE ultra high downforce wing (it has a gurney flap on it) mounted to the Sweep STC4. The sweep body has the best front grip/turn-in out of the bodies that I've used, and has low drag, but lacks rear stability like the ltcr. I'm hoping the RIDE wing will fix that.
DBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 10:10 AM   #69
Tech Regular

I've made a few attempts to alter GX performance by making adjustments with the stock wing. I've moved it fore and aft and I've even cut out the insets - however, the effects on performance have been very, very subtle. Maybe I need to also try a whole different wing?

In a moment of stupidity a few weeks ago, I decided to completely remove the wing to see what would happen. Halfway down the straightaway, when the boost kicked in, the rear washed out and into the wall I went. The rear, graphite, hub carrier didn't survive this bone-headed experiment. Oops.
Old 06-19-2014, 10:11 AM   #70
Tech Master

Quote:
I've made a few attempts to alter GX performance by making adjustments with the stock wing. I've moved it fore and aft and I've even cut out the insets - however, the effects on performance have been very, very subtle. Maybe I need to also try a whole different wing?

In a moment of stupidity a few weeks ago, I decided to completely remove the wing to see what would happen. Halfway down the straightaway, when the boost kicked in, the rear washed out and into the wall I went. The rear, graphite, hub carrier didn't survive this bone-headed experiment. Oops.
LOL Thank you for your endeavor. We are lucky that we now know what not to do.
Old 06-19-2014, 12:51 PM   #71
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I am back from testing

With a sad and a happy eye the winner is the GX!

I tested the above mentioned Mazda6 MPS and Subaru Type C from HotBodies and the GX. Every battery I switched bodies to reduce wrong results through changing track and tire conditions. I did this the whole day, so that every body at least got three runs 10 minutes with an unchanged setup. The loser of this comparison is the Subaru type C which is overall not bad, but comes with understeer at the corner entry and the least amount of grip. The balance is ok, but it just won't turn and this hurt the laptimes. In the end it is plus two tenth slower than the GX. This makes me a little sad, because I like the look (and the body is new)...

The Mazda MPS is nearly up to the competition. It was around 40 thousands of a second slower every lap. It behaves like the GX. Front and rear grip, flawless balance, nice entry, middle corner turning and locked rear end, everything fine. It is overall a little shorter than the GX and has a smaller front splitter which in turn results in less downforce. Still it is the best body from HotBodies.

The GX looks a lot bigger than other bodies, is some millimeters longer. For its (optical huge) size it spectacular turns in and bends around the apex without getting lose. In every run this body posted the fastest laptimes.

I now hope that HotBodies will react to PF's new body as there are only HB bodies allowed at the German LRP-HPI-Challenge
Old 06-19-2014, 02:31 PM   #72
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtcc View Post
I am back from testing

With a sad and a happy eye the winner is the GX!

I tested the above mentioned Mazda6 MPS and Subaru Type C from HotBodies and the GX. Every battery I switched bodies to reduce wrong results through changing track and tire conditions. I did this the whole day, so that every body at least got three runs 10 minutes with an unchanged setup. The loser of this comparison is the Subaru type C which is overall not bad, but comes with understeer at the corner entry and the least amount of grip. The balance is ok, but it just won't turn and this hurt the laptimes. In the end it is plus two tenth slower than the GX. This makes me a little sad, because I like the look (and the body is new)...

The Mazda MPS is nearly up to the competition. It was around 40 thousands of a second slower every lap. It behaves like the GX. Front and rear grip, flawless balance, nice entry, middle corner turning and locked rear end, everything fine. It is overall a little shorter than the GX and has a smaller front splitter which in turn results in less downforce. Still it is the best body from HotBodies.

The GX looks a lot bigger than other bodies, is some millimeters longer. For its (optical huge) size it spectacular turns in and bends around the apex without getting lose. In every run this body posted the fastest laptimes.

I now hope that HotBodies will react to PF's new body as there are only HB bodies allowed at the German LRP-HPI-Challenge
So you're saying GX is like German soccer team and Maza MPS being Holland? LOL I think German team looks fantastic.
Old 06-19-2014, 02:45 PM   #73
Tech Regular

Excellent report! Especially since you have now saved me some time and money since I can now stop wondering about the HB Impreza body.
Old 07-02-2014, 10:50 PM   #74
DBM
Tech Addict

I ordered the Ride ultra high downforce wing from tqrc and it arrived today, so I tried it on my stc4 and GX body. It seems to work. The stc4 was more stable in the rear, and I posted faster times using it on the gx as well.
Old 08-05-2014, 09:01 AM   #75
DBM
Tech Addict

Finaly tried a mazdaspeed6 lightweight body (my previous ms6 body was regular weight), and found that I was a bit slower with it compared to the GX body. The ms6 was easier to drive and felt "smoother", likely due to softer turn-in, but the greater overall downforce of the GX results in better lap times for me.
If I had to rate the front and rear grip of different bodies, it would be something like this:

GX: F4 R4
MS6: F3 R3
LTCR: F4 R2
STC4 F5 R2
Blitz WRX: F2 R4