R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-05-2015, 09:17 PM   #256
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkBurgess View Post
Attachment 1260457

An excellent day at the first BRCA GT National yesterday.

For this season we are running 1S and 13.5 blinky rules in the F1 class with a lower 950g weight limit. It has been a few years since we had a competitive F1 series in the UK. So great to see a full heat racing again and real interest in the cars.

My WTF-1 was set up as it left the IIC, which was as per kit with a couple of wee tweaks suggested by Mario. Handling was on the money, and fine tuning the motor timing and gearing brought the speed. Please to also have my Vegas buddy Kev Creaser racing his WTF-1 for the first meeting.

I qualified second and Kevin fourth, behind a very quick Mark Green (Serpent team drive, and a world class Gas racer). Please to finish second in the final and give the WTF-1 a podium result on it's UK debut. A good result for the overall BRCA F1 championship.

Next stop for me and my WTF-1 is the Snowbirds, and now counting the days until we fly

PS - shout out to Mark Day...yes still my car is still rocking the Timezone stickers
Bravos to Mark and Kevin.

I think the idea of F1 using 1S and 13.5 blinky with a lighter car was a smart move!

Bill
Old 01-06-2015, 09:13 AM   #257
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to liljohn1064 Send a message via MSN to liljohn1064 Send a message via Yahoo to liljohn1064

I might have to try the 1S setup for fun. I don't think top end will be impacted, but the car will be a lot more driveable in and out of corners.

I picked up a couple FGX wing stiffeners I'm hoping I can fit to the F2012 front wing. Wish me luck!
Old 01-06-2015, 02:27 PM   #258
Tech Regular

More photos of the two CRC WTF-1 cars from the first BRCA GT National last weekend

New CRC F1 At IIC-15588027614_acde6fe6b8_k.jpg

New CRC F1 At IIC-16024372407_10ac6f8f5f_k.jpg

New CRC F1 At IIC-16208289211_c0cd718c3a_k.jpg
Old 01-06-2015, 02:33 PM   #259
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by liljohn1064 View Post
I might have to try the 1S setup for fun. I don't think top end will be impacted, but the car will be a lot more driveable in and out of corners.

I picked up a couple FGX wing stiffeners I'm hoping I can fit to the F2012 front wing. Wish me luck!
That is what I found. The lower weight and voltage of 1S and 13.5 did mean less punch out of corners and a lot easier to pick a line as a result. Top speed was plenty quick enough, but maybe a touch down on 2S and 21.5

UK F1 weight limit is 950g for the 1S class. Kev got his car to that limit, and my car was about 970g with a heavier speedo. By comparison I was adding weight to make the 2S 1050g limit in Vegas

Good luck with the F2012 wing. Spoke to a racer who had one at the weekend - it was a real problem for him as it kept rubbing on the carpet.

I did stiffen up an older flexible wing with carbon plates a couple of years back. They were actually 1/12th scale ride height adjusters.

Sorry to say the best answer is to get a Tamiya F60 wing and run that
Old 01-06-2015, 03:36 PM   #260
Tech Champion

Send a message via AIM to liljohn1064 Send a message via MSN to liljohn1064 Send a message via Yahoo to liljohn1064

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkBurgess View Post
Good luck with the F2012 wing. Spoke to a racer who had one at the weekend - it was a real problem for him as it kept rubbing on the carpet.

I did stiffen up an older flexible wing with carbon plates a couple of years back. They were actually 1/12th scale ride height adjusters.

Sorry to say the best answer is to get a Tamiya F60 wing and run that
I have one of the F60 and one of the "Pro" wing sets in black. I was just following the recommendations for the PF14 body. I'll probably "borrow" the wing stiffener from my FGX.
Old 01-07-2015, 07:27 PM   #261
Tech Champion

The FGX stiffener did the trick. I had to notch the center cross member, cut away part of the original screw hole supports, make 2 new holes to match the new part. I added a 3mm spacer for each of the new holes and tightened it down with lock nuts with washers. For the two ends I used some old Tamiya self tapping body screws. I used a tiny drill bit to punch the hole just to the inside/toward the center of the wing and tightened them down enough to hold the stiffener in place and not distort the stiffener. If you do this fix, you have to use the PF 14 body mount instructions as there is no way to mount the standard wing upper.

Last edited by liljohn1064; 01-08-2015 at 12:15 PM.
liljohn1064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 09:31 AM   #262
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Is there a possibility that CRC will come out with a stronger steering hub? I am breaking at least 1 every race day! since they are the same as the 1/12 car, they can't seem to stand up to much abuse with those big, heavy tires hanging off them. It's always the left side too as that's the outer wall in the sweeper at TQ.
R-Factor RC- TC4-R, P8 PanCar
Not as Fast as I want to be but too old to Whine about it... 8-)
YoDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 12:41 PM   #263
Tech Champion

I finally got the rear end of the car up to 189mm last night. It took 2 of the 2mm spacers from the XTI and once axle shim to get the width. I now sit with 2 x 2mm spacers on the clamp hub side and 1 x 2mm spacer and an axle shim to center the assembly to the chassis on the diff side. I'm not running any spacers under the wheels.
Old 01-13-2015, 11:49 AM   #264
Tech Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoDog View Post
Is there a possibility that CRC will come out with a stronger steering hub? I am breaking at least 1 every race day! since they are the same as the 1/12 car, they can't seem to stand up to much abuse with those big, heavy tires hanging off them. It's always the left side too as that's the outer wall in the sweeper at TQ.
I have a feeling it's the exposed rubber tire yanking the front corner backwards. Foam tires and plastic rims don't grab the rails like rubber tires. What about putting a light coat of CA on the sidewall?
Old 01-13-2015, 12:06 PM   #265
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Quote:
I have a feeling it's the exposed rubber tire yanking the front corner backwards. Foam tires and plastic rims don't grab the rails like rubber tires. What about putting a light coat of CA on the sidewall?
I'd be afraid of that inducing more under steer. I think I will model up the part and have some made out of aluminum. It may also provide a little mass damping to the front suspension too.
R-Factor RC- TC4-R, P8 PanCar
Not as Fast as I want to be but too old to Whine about it... 8-)
YoDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2015, 02:06 PM   #266
Tech Regular

Quote:
I finally got the rear end of the car up to 189mm last night. It took 2 of the 2mm spacers from the XTI and once axle shim to get the width. I now sit with 2 x 2mm spacers on the clamp hub side and 1 x 2mm spacer and an axle shim to center the assembly to the chassis on the diff side. I'm not running any spacers under the wheels.
On Mario's advice I also spaced the car out to 190mm at the IIC.

Pan car axle shims did the trick on the rear. Would need to check how many I put on each side.

I've also got some 5mm washers that have spaced the front out nicely.
Old 01-13-2015, 03:33 PM   #267
Tech Champion

Quote:
I find just running the pzero stickers for the tires helps the sidewall to not be as grabby on the rails. It still does grab but not as bad.
www.apexrc.com - Hawaii's #1 RC Proshop

Share & Like Our Page:https://www.facebook.com/ApexRCProshop
Win free stuff!
InspGadgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 01:34 AM   #268
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspGadgt View Post
I find just running the pzero stickers for the tires helps the sidewall to not be as grabby on the rails. It still does grab but not as bad.
Great call

I was trying to figure out last night what would work better than glue, and of course the Pirelli stickers have got to help.
Old 01-14-2015, 07:40 AM   #269
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Try enlarging the hole where the upper ball goes through the steering block. Since the upper ball on the F1 car is a little bit larger, it has less room to move around.
www.teamcrc.com, www.teamscreamracing.com, Outlaw RC Motorsports, KO Propo USA, www.crcraceway.com, Dumper's Speedshop, FB/FX Paint. 38.4mm>38mm, 9 degrees does not = Zero end of story. Vice-President of the F1 Pink Flame Posse
dumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 08:08 AM   #270
Tech Regular

Quote:
The jury is still out...
I haven't had much time to dial it in yet. Just got an XTI 1/12th also so I have been getting that little guy up to speed.
One thing I have noticed is that my F1 pushes really bad at higher speeds but has plenty of steering in slower corners. This makes it very difficult to be consistent from lap to lap. Any suggestions?
After this Weekend race with the CRC for the first time , i've found the same issue as above on the car. It performs quite well out of the box (1st in qualify and 2nd at the end of the day) but i feel the car very touchy around the neutral point especialy on slow speed, and pushs badly at medium to high speed.
i've made the box setup with the shims back on the front upper arms.
Any idea to improve that ? i suspect that it was related to the vertical position of the servo ?