Search

New Radio: Final Decision

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2005, 04:39 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default New Radio: Final Decision

Hey again,

I was certain that I was gonna get the M8 and a SPEKTRUM until this weekend when some people were saying that the M8 will become obsolete when the new M11 comes out and that made me think about my decision.

So what do you guys think? Will I be OK for a while with a M8 with spektrum? I thought that if in the future I want the M11 ( I don't have enough money now) I can just sell the M8 transmitter and use the spektrum with the M11.

But how do I know which DSM series are the new ones (that will work with the M11 and don't have any problems(I know some of the earlier ones did have problems). Are the new ones the 1002 series or what?

What would you guys recommend for me to do? Just get the M8 w/ SPEKTRUM now? I won't be competing on a NATIONAL level or anything, but I want to have a radio system to be pleased with and never have any glitches/problems with it (I'm just doing stock carpet TC club racing).

Thanks a lot, you've always been helpful
Old 06-27-2005, 04:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

If you are into new stuff... get the M11 with Spektrum. If you can get contended with an M8... you really don't need anything else. All new release Spektrum are both M8 and M11 compatible. I have an M8 with Spektrum, I also have a Futaba 3pk with Spektrum. I like new stuff and I was going to get an M11 but I found it to be too heavy (compared to M8 and 3pk) So I ordered a 3PK Black Magnum since I like the feel and ease of use on it. Now I have to get rid of my M8 and older 3pk.
Old 06-27-2005, 05:37 PM
Tech Addict

OK, what about those serial numbers or whatever like 1002 and 1000?

There's no other way to know if the spektrum system isn't one of the first ones except trust the seller/retailer that it's newer?
Old 06-27-2005, 06:26 PM
Tech Regular

From what I can see it says on the new systems which systems it works with. Look at this auction link included below. It says on the box that it works with M8, Sanwa Exzes, and Sanwa Super Exzes. The item number is 1002 on this one. 1000 might have been the pre m11 version, not positive though.

Auction link... see picture at the bottom.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-27-2005, 06:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tc3blue
Hey again,

I was certain that I was gonna get the M8 and a SPEKTRUM until this weekend when some people were saying that the M8 will become obsolete when the new M11 comes out and that made me think about my decision.

So what do you guys think? Will I be OK for a while with a M8 with spektrum? I thought that if in the future I want the M11 ( I don't have enough money now) I can just sell the M8 transmitter and use the spektrum with the M11.

But how do I know which DSM series are the new ones (that will work with the M11 and don't have any problems(I know some of the earlier ones did have problems). Are the new ones the 1002 series or what?

What would you guys recommend for me to do? Just get the M8 w/ SPEKTRUM now? I won't be competing on a NATIONAL level or anything, but I want to have a radio system to be pleased with and never have any glitches/problems with it (I'm just doing stock carpet TC club racing).

Thanks a lot, you've always been helpful
I was talking to the guy from Airtronics at the Reedy Race and I believe he said the module is different on the M-11 than the M-8. I could be wrong but I am pretty sure thats what he said. I would call Airtronics if you think you will up grade from an M-8 to the M-11 first.
He said the M-8 is a little faster in response time, but I don't think many people will be able to tell the difference. But it is one sure sweet looking radio.
Old 06-27-2005, 06:54 PM
Tech Regular

I was talking to the guy from Airtronics at the Reedy Race and I believe he said the module is different on the M-11 than the M-8. I could be wrong but I am pretty sure thats what he said. I would call Airtronics if you think you will up grade from an M-8 to the M-11 first.
He said the M-8 is a little faster in response time, but I don't think many people will be able to tell the difference.

The difference from what I was told is the M11 has two extra pins for the high response system on it. All that had to be done by spektrum was to drill 2 more holes in the spektrum module to make it work in the M11. That is why you are able to use on both. If you have the m8, then the pins aren't used, if the m11 then it plugs right in. No problem either way.

I also spoke to Airtronics in length about the m11 and spektrum and what they told me you would literally have to be extremely sensitive like a factory racer, to probably feel a difference in response. If you are a club racer that doesn't plan on making racing around the world your day job, you won't feel the difference
Old 06-27-2005, 07:24 PM
Tech Addict

Thanks

It seems that the 1002 is newer and will most likely work with the m11 and nobody really know if the first ones (were they 1000's??) will work with the M11.

He said the M-8 is a little faster in response time
The M8 is actually faster?
Old 06-27-2005, 08:01 PM
Tech Addict

I just found the answer myself.

The only thing is I know there were some problems with earlier ones and don't know how to make sure that what I'm buying is new, because:

http://www.helgerracing.com/bchangeg...bmaypage3.html

SPM1001 JR R1 Spektrum DSM 3ch Module and receiver
SPM1002 Sanwa/Airtronics M8 Spektrum DSM 3ch Module and receiver
SPM1003 KO EX1/10 Spektrum DSM 3ch Module and receiver
Old 06-28-2005, 08:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

If I may chime in here....

The M8 Modual from spektrum will work in the M11 but only after a couple of holes are drilled.
You best bet...
Mail in your modual to Horizon...They said that if you get the M11 and sen din your M8 modual that they will make the modifications to work perfectly for your new M11. Oh yea at no cost to you except shipping...I would rather ship it and wait a week than try to drill my own holes and be off just a mm and have one of the pins snap off...NOW THAT WOULD BE ABOUT A $75.00 fix..but you weight the costs...
My opinion is if you can not feel the difference...Like someone else said...Buy an M8 New right now from somewhere liquidating them as tehey have M11's selling out the door. Then if you do ever want to get an M11 later you have the spektrum already and you are use to the setup...
I like the Helios myself and more people are making the switch now.
Just my thoughts.
-Shookie <><
Old 06-28-2005, 08:35 AM
Tech Addict

I totally agree with you Mr. Shookie, I wouldn't risk messing up the pins or whatever when I can just pay shipping and have it done.

And that's what I'm gonna do, buy an M8/Spektrum system and if I wanna get the M11 when I have more money, I'll just sell the M8 and use the spektrum in the M11.

Thanks everyone!
Old 06-28-2005, 08:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I know it may be off what you want to do. But why not the 3pk? If the m8 is already slower than that , and the 11 is even slower. That means your buying 2 transmitters and the m11 is going to be brand spanking new when im sure youll get it. So your going to shell out the max price just to get that...and pay and loose money on an m8. And youll be swapping receivers and loosing your cars memory and its probably not a good idea to change TX's all the time. You want to get used to one , rather than swap around.

I think you should just go with the 3pk which is newer than the m8 and will be faster than the m11. And you can get the correct spektrum module since they make it for the 3pk and you can find 3pk's at a decent price since they have been out for a little.

If someone was winning , do you think they would upgrade to the m11 half way through a season anyway. Unless you were loosing I wouldnt.
Old 06-28-2005, 09:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I just found the answer myself.

The only thing is I know there were some problems with earlier ones and don't know how to make sure that what I'm buying is new, because:

http://www.helgerracing.com/bchangeg...bmaypage3.html

SPM1001 JR R1 Spektrum DSM 3ch Module and receiver
SPM1002 Sanwa/Airtronics M8 Spektrum DSM 3ch Module and receiver
SPM1003 KO EX1/10 Spektrum DSM 3ch Module and receiver
The modules that work with M8 and M11 will say on the spektrum package as such. My LHS have them and I have seen them.
Old 06-28-2005, 11:10 AM
Tech Addict

Artificial, I didn't really look into 3pk's.. i don't even know what's the last one that came out, maybe I'll take a look...
Old 06-28-2005, 11:26 AM
Tech Addict

Hey, what about a JR DX3 with spektrum???

How do you think it compares to the M8 with spektrum.

BTW I had a JR XR3 so I'm used to its design.

so compare the DX3 with M8 please!
Old 06-28-2005, 11:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Artificial, I didn't really look into 3pk's.. i don't even know what's the last one that came out, maybe I'll take a look...
I'd put in a pop for the HELIOS, or the JR Z-1 as well. Very comfortable, lightweight and ridiculously functional.

Or if you're cheap, (like me!), you could pick up a used Mars R and drop in the Spektrum system. If you do that, you've got a Radio that's faster than an M8, and spektrum equipped, for considerably less dough. Plus you'll stand out from the sea of Airtronics radios.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.