Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree1Likes

Xray T4'14

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 06:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

Because you would HAVE to buy the new car when it comes out??
Old 04-29-2014, 06:41 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

of course you would! one simply does not, not havethe lastest xray!
Old 04-29-2014, 06:48 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Andrew S
of course you would! one simply does not, not havethe lastest xray!

the first step is admitting we have a problem
Old 04-29-2014, 08:43 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Smile

My first foray into race grade TC is a Xray T4 '14. Really like it. So nice to drive.
Old 05-04-2014, 07:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I ran an aluminum chassis today on low to medium asphalt track. 125x60ish..

I left the same setup on the car from the graphite chassis. It was really good the last time I ran.

The first run: with the aluminum chassis

The car had a bad mid corner push. I went from a spool to a front diff(150k). Car rotated better but still pushed.

I then soften the front swaybar, took out some Ackerman. Wow the car was good now.

2nd run:

Traction came up and the car started the mid corner push again. I lowered the front diff and again it was money.

3rd run:

I put on new tires (40 sweeps- our spec tires). It was looseon entry at low speed and pushed high speed entry. I went to a Mazda gx6 and the car became more balanced.

Main:

The car was great and I set my fast lap of the day (17.1 down to 16.8).

Although in the second half of the race the tires got hot(I think car is just to heavy. 1446g). My times dropped by .5 and second place caught me and passed me.

All in all I like the chassis. One weird thing though. The car see sawed back & forth front to rear on the slow tight sections when I applied the throttle. (I hope that makes sense). I the going up on shock oil will cured this.

Oh yeah no scratches on chassis. I use a chassis protector and it looks great.

Joe
Old 05-05-2014, 03:40 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Joe Maxey

I left the same setup on the car from the graphite chassis. It was really good the last time I ran.

The car had a bad mid corner push. I went from a spool to a front diff(150k). Car rotated better but still pushed.

I then soften the front swaybar, took out some Ackerman. Wow the car was good now.

2nd run:

Traction came up and the car started the mid corner push again. I lowered the front diff and again it was money.

3rd run:

I put on new tires (40 sweeps- our spec tires). It was looseon entry at low speed and pushed high speed entry. I went to a Mazda gx6 and the car became more balanced.

Main:

Although in the second half of the race the tires got hot(I think car is just to heavy. 1446g). My times dropped by .5 and second place caught me and passed me.

All in all I like the chassis. One weird thing though. The car see sawed back & forth front to rear on the slow tight sections when I applied the throttle. (I hope that makes sense). I the going up on shock oil will cured this.

Joe
I ran mine yesterday with the asphalt chassis on a slightly bumpy asphalt track. The car felt better than expected but I don't think it was better than the kit chassis.
I used the same setup and the only real problem I had was if the rear lost a little grip mid corner (presumably due to a bump etc. the rear end would try to slide out instead of the chassis flexing and 'riding' the bumps.

Not bad but I'll be going back to the kit chassis at that track.
Skiddins
Old 05-05-2014, 11:34 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Joe Maxey

2nd run:

3rd run:

Main:

Joe
Agree!!!I tested alluminium chassis last Saturday indoor asphalt mid/hig grip,simply fantastic!!!!
http://youtu.be/fu8I8aAWs_k

Bye pigio
Old 05-05-2014, 03:48 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I have been using the aluminum chassis for 3 practices, the first time i used it the car felt great, the track had a lot of traction, now the rainy season started so the track became low-mid traction.
The car still felt good, but started to have some issues in mid corner.
Before a i could hit the throttle in the corner and the car would never loose rear grip, now i have to be more careful with throttle or even roll the car.

What changes can i do?
Softer rear anti roll ball, lower roll center on the back?
Old 05-05-2014, 03:50 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by emacrimes
I have been using the aluminum chassis for 3 practices, the first time i used it the car felt great, the track had a lot of traction, now the rainy season started so the track became low-mid traction.
The car still felt good, but started to have some issues in mid corner.
Before a i could hit the throttle in the corner and the car would never loose rear grip, now i have to be more careful with throttle or even roll the car.

What changes can i do?
Softer rear anti roll ball, lower roll center on the back?
Change back to the carbon chassis
Old 05-05-2014, 07:59 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Skiddins
This is actually the best answer.
Old 05-07-2014, 12:27 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Skiddins
I agree, when i first take notice about the alu chassis i could not believe this was true, I thought this must be a nightmare.
I hope we forgot it a.s.a.p. because if you tweak the chassis it will
never return to his original shape after you hit something or somebody
hits you, this is why we where carbon fiber.
Old 05-07-2014, 02:46 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by eded1
I agree, when i first take notice about the alu chassis i could not believe this was true, I thought this must be a nightmare.
I hope we forgot it a.s.a.p. because if you tweak the chassis it will
never return to his original shape after you hit something or somebody
hits you, this is why we where carbon fiber.
It's not as weak as you think and I had a few accidents with it.

It's about performance. If it was definitely better on my track it would have stayed on, but I don't think it has enough grip to make it worth while.

Skiddins
Old 05-07-2014, 03:19 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

the alu chassis works fantastic on very high grip surfaces calming the car, yet making it go deeper and faster through the corner.
But anything less than high grip, the carbon chassis is superior for sure.

The alu chassis is very strong. you would have to hit the car hard enough to break top decks and shock towers before you would damage alu chassis.
It is also a little more narrow than the carbon chassis.

Something I tried for kicks: alu chassis with the top deck completely removed.
Was the easiest yet fastest car I've ever driven! set the lap record within 2 laps and im normally .2-.4 sec slower!
was awesome!
However, I put the carbon chassis back on. I did not feel the belts or car would last long with my far less than perfect driving. the alu chassis was stiff enough without the top deck than belts did not slip after 10mins on track, but I just felt wrong!

food for thought for some!
Old 05-07-2014, 11:02 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Any recommendations on a aftermarket diff?
Looking for a 2nd diff just to play around with different weights with out having to keep going into the stock diff that I plan to keep at a typical 2-3k weight (Medium+ traction asphalt )
Don't really feel like paying $60 for the xray diff. I see the Spec-R's are around $30 , or am I better off just paying for the xray?
Old 05-07-2014, 11:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Xray makes the best diffs by far.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.