Like Tree1Likes

Xray T4'14

Old 03-25-2014, 02:00 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Odin544
I use X-ray oil and they still swell.
+1

it doesn't matter what brand of oil silicon oil will swell silicon o ring,seal etc

if you want o rings that don't swell you need the o rings made of epdm
Old 03-25-2014, 02:13 AM
Tech Apprentice

That would be just about perfect then. I have to add 40-50 grams just to make minimum weight. Has anyone tried it in lower traction conditions?

Also what kind of changes to setup are you guys having to make when you switch?
Hey Odin and others, where are you putting the 40-50grams in the car. I set my car up and I found it was pretty well balanced left to right but I needed all the extra weight basicaly in line with the servo horn. I custom made a pancake of lead that fitted exactly into that are and got front rear balance perfect but I am wondering where other guys have the weight... thanks!
Old 03-25-2014, 02:17 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by elche_83
+1

it doesn't matter what brand of oil silicon oil will swell silicon o ring,seal etc

Interesting! Is this a fact? I am trying to imagine how rubber absorbs oil, but I guess it is an organic substance. Anyone have any technical insight on this subject? There must be a rubber engineer on this forum somewhere
Old 03-25-2014, 02:49 AM
Tech Elite

I use X-ray oil and they still swell.
Interesting, I use Xray oil and my bladders are fine for months at a time

Originally Posted by elche_83
+1

The bladders in Xray shocks are not silicone

Last edited by Skiddins; 03-25-2014 at 03:02 AM.
Old 03-25-2014, 03:11 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Fly'n Fish
Interesting! Is this a fact? I am trying to imagine how rubber absorbs oil, but I guess it is an organic substance. Anyone have any technical insight on this subject? There must be a rubber engineer on this forum somewhere
100% fact, im not sure what the bladders are made off i dont have a issue with the bladders or o rings as well
Old 03-25-2014, 03:22 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by chasingthepack
can you recommend a set that last more than 3 meetings?
i do prefer them but ive broken 2 shafts and the repair cost put me off
I know... The Xray ones are rubbish. I have the RSD wide axle shafts (52mm) and I'm very happy with them.
I've also heard good things about the Roche shafts, but I think they are 51mm (the 51mm RSD version is also available).

Last edited by morgoth; 03-25-2014 at 03:33 AM.
Old 03-25-2014, 08:51 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Hey Odin and others, where are you putting the 40-50grams in the car. I set my car up and I found it was pretty well balanced left to right but I needed all the extra weight basicaly in line with the servo horn. I custom made a pancake of lead that fitted exactly into that are and got front rear balance perfect but I am wondering where other guys have the weight... thanks!
A lot of guys buy a 30g center weight which adds weight straight down the center line of the car
Old 03-25-2014, 09:09 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hyujmn
A lot of guys buy a 30g center weight which adds weight straight down the center line of the car
yup. I just have a couple of T4 '13, but both have the 30g center weight. Makes the battery fit a little tighter, so you do want to be careful that it's not tweaking the chassis when you strap your battery in.

On one of my cars I have 83g of extra weight added to just barely make the 1380g minimum we have here. It's not easy finding good places for it all without messing up the left/right balance. It would be nice if they made a center weight out of tungsten.
Old 03-25-2014, 11:58 AM
Tech Addict

drop an o ring into some motor cleaner and wait 5 minutes,the o ring will swell to 3 times it size and still keep swelling ,ive seen people wash there shocks with motor cleaner,utter madness i know your were refering to silicon oil but i have had the same bladders for 2 seasons and they havent swelled at all ,i also have a set of cso shocks and they have clear bladders and they haven't swelled either

Last edited by chasingthepack; 03-25-2014 at 12:11 PM.
Old 03-25-2014, 12:16 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by morgoth
I know... The Xray ones are rubbish. I have the RSD wide axle shafts (52mm) and I'm very happy with them.
I've also heard good things about the Roche shafts, but I think they are 51mm (the 51mm RSD version is also available).
i dont get how if they are made from SPRING steel that they snap,and they always go in the same spot,i mostly race on a large open track so having the ecs isnt as important,but ill be racing at (imo) the most technical track in the uk in a few weeks so ill have the ecs in by then
Old 03-25-2014, 01:24 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by chasingthepack
i dont get how if they are made from SPRING steel that they snap,and they always go in the same spot,i mostly race on a large open track so having the ecs isnt as important,but ill be racing at (imo) the most technical track in the uk in a few weeks so ill have the ecs in by then
Yes I know. I have the same problems with the xray ones. I was driving at a high grip carpet track this winter and I had a shaft snap after 5 minutes of driving without hitting something... I think I had one break every month and I don't crash a lot.

The RSD ones hold up much better and are they are half the price.
Old 03-25-2014, 02:33 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

The Spec-R v2 universal swing shafts are just as good as any. The clips seem to be the same ones that Christian uses on the RSD ones
Old 03-26-2014, 02:18 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by morgoth
Yes I know. I have the same problems with the xray ones. I was driving at a high grip carpet track this winter and I had a shaft snap after 5 minutes of driving without hitting something... I think I had one break every month and I don't crash a lot.

The RSD ones hold up much better and are they are half the price.
The durability of the Xray is one of the key reasons why I run one, I have never broken a shaft, nor seen one broken but have seen many big hits.

I wonder if there was a bad batch of shafts and you were unlucky enough to get some or there is some other issue with your car or your esc settings? I have seen a few speedo's that momentarily put the motor in reverse while appling the brake.

Bb
Old 03-26-2014, 05:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hyujmn
The Spec-R v2 universal swing shafts are just as good as any. The clips seem to be the same ones that Christian uses on the RSD ones
Spec-R v2 has been the most durable for me. Two full years on mine, running mod outside and banging boards in 17.5 inside and they are still fine.

I broke one Xray at the coupling not very long after owning them so they are off the table for me. I can't spend more than 2x on them and have them break that fast.

I do have a set of RSD shafts now as well. They look very nice but I don't have much run time on them yet so I can't comment on how long they will last.
Old 03-27-2014, 01:13 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by bucketboy
The durability of the Xray is one of the key reasons why I run one, I have never broken a shaft, nor seen one broken but have seen many big hits.

I wonder if there was a bad batch of shafts and you were unlucky enough to get some or there is some other issue with your car or your esc settings? I have seen a few speedo's that momentarily put the motor in reverse while appling the brake.

Bb
Not sure what's the problem with them but they always break at the same spot. My speedo doesn't have reverse enabled. I run mod (4.5T-5.0T) indoors on carpet. Maybe it are the plastic outdrives that cause this? I thought the plastic outdrive would protect the shafts in case of a crash. But they develop slop so fast, that they cause hard hits on the drive shaft when braking/accelerating. Maybe that's the reason?

I think if xray would go back to 1.6mm pins and capture them instead of using a grub screw, all problems would be gone.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.