R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-17-2013, 03:28 AM   #856
Tech Initiate
 
Smokem Racing's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 34
Default

Following the success of our 417V7 Conversion, we are pleased to announce the release of the Smokem T4V7 Conversion. The heart of the conversion is a set of custom designed layshaft bulkheads which provide 1mm clearance between the top deck and the layshaft bulkheads. This allows for improved, and we believe, proper flex characteristics when the centre post is installed.

Our centre post design features improved clearance with the front belt compared to XRAY's centre post, while our top deck removes the slit at the centre post hole for more consistent flex characteristics especially when the centre post is installed.



It suits both the T4'14 and the original T4 and is available for purchase at our online store. Thanks for your time.
__________________
Don't beat them. SMOKEM...

shop.smokem-racing.com
facebook.com/smokemracing
Smokem Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 05:07 PM   #857
Tech Elite
 
Yokomo_Ant3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,390
Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Default

I've been using and testing the Smokem conversion since July and immediately had better results on both my T4 and T4'14! Well worth the purchase and great quality
__________________
Antoni Caretti

Team Schumacher - Team Scorpion - Sweep Racing - Bezerk RC - Adelaide RC
Yokomo_Ant3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 07:10 PM   #858
Tech Elite
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Woodinville, WA
Posts: 2,512
Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yokomo_Ant3 View Post
I've been using and testing the Smokem conversion since July and immediately had better results on both my T4 and T4'14! Well worth the purchase and great quality
Have you compared it directly against the T4'14 topdeck and motor mount post, and the Spec-R topdeck and motor mount post?

-Mike
grippgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 11:01 PM   #859
Tech Elite
 
Yokomo_Ant3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 2,390
Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by grippgoat View Post
Have you compared it directly against the T4'14 topdeck and motor mount post, and the Spec-R topdeck and motor mount post?

-Mike
Hi Mike,

I have not tried the Spec-R stuff, the smokem topdeck offers a different feeling on the track to the xray top deck. It's much sharper for me, but the xray top deck can be used to smooth the car out. the layshaft bulkheads mean you don't need to shim up the top deck like some others have done.

Antoni
__________________
Antoni Caretti

Team Schumacher - Team Scorpion - Sweep Racing - Bezerk RC - Adelaide RC
Yokomo_Ant3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 05:45 AM   #860
Tech Elite
 
jlfx car audio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: jackson,tn
Posts: 3,148
Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Default

So do the lay shaft mounts use same bearings as original or smaller ?
I would like a set that's been lowered 1mm (material taken from the bottom ) but the motor mount holes would have to be redrilled also
__________________
Justin & Matt Lyons
Awesomatix USA, EA motorsports, Sanwa, Protoform, Avid, Gravity Rc , TSR!
a800s sanwa m12s
jlfx car audio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 06:49 AM   #861
Tech Addict
 
chasingthepack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: hanworth uk
Posts: 728
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlfx car audio View Post
So do the lay shaft mounts use same bearings as original or smaller ?
I would like a set that's been lowered 1mm (material taken from the bottom ) but the motor mount holes would have to be redrilled also
if you lower the bulkheads you will restrict the size of spur you can fit,i think an 86 will just sit flush with the chassis,i run an 84 and thats close enough,just shaving a mill off the top is the best option
__________________
yokomo bd7 16_lrp works team-trinity d4 17.5_futaba 4pks_futaba bls
wet/damp car xray t4-14-r10 pro-team wave 17.5 savox 1251
chasingthepack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 07:12 AM   #862
Tech Master
 
veecee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 1,420
Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)
Default

According to the description in the link, a smaller bearing is used. So effectively, the layshaft is still in the same location and the 1mm gap is achieved through the use of a smaller bearing. That means you can still use the same sized spur gear.
__________________
YOKOMO BD7 2015 :: SMOKEM BD7 2015-IIX Chassis :: HIRO SEIKO Screws :: WTF Windy Fan
veecee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 08:24 AM   #863
Tech Elite
 
jlfx car audio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: jackson,tn
Posts: 3,148
Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Default

I have ran a (all 64p) 114- 90 on my cars with out a spur hanging below the chassis . in stock racing u can run a 90-96 and drop the lay shaft a mm without dropping teeth out of bottom of chassis . I know this don't work for the mod guys but it would be best for the stock guys. And wouldn't have to stock up on a different bearing just for that location .
I want to say the RSD shaved material from bottom but I'm unsure
__________________
Justin & Matt Lyons
Awesomatix USA, EA motorsports, Sanwa, Protoform, Avid, Gravity Rc , TSR!
a800s sanwa m12s
jlfx car audio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 08:34 AM   #864
Tech Elite
 
CristianTabush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Houston
Posts: 2,676
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Our lowered layshaft actually lowers the bearing 0.5mm and then has material removed off of the top to achieve the clearance while still using the stock bearing size. With our set up you can use an 84 spur (48 pitch) and still be safe at the bottom of the chassis. Any bigger and you are pushing it though.

The smokem solution looks very nice as well.
__________________
REFLEX RACING/ RSD/ GIZMO RACING USA/ HOBBYWING/ AXON/ QTEQ/ TEAM PRIME
CristianTabush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 09:24 AM   #865
Tech Addict
 
b_recliner's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Port Royal, PA
Posts: 501
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CristianTabush View Post
Our lowered layshaft actually lowers the bearing 0.5mm and then has material removed off of the top to achieve the clearance while still using the stock bearing size. With our set up you can use an 84 spur (48 pitch) and still be safe at the bottom of the chassis. Any bigger and you are pushing it though.

The smokem solution looks very nice as well.
I've recently ordered the RSD one to try. Can I run a 96 tooth 64 pitch?
__________________
Tracks: Richfield Raceway, LCRC, DRP
Current Cars: Xray t4 '14, Schumacher Cougar KF, Schumacher Mi5, Losi 22 2.0, Losi 8ight E 3.0
b_recliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 09:38 AM   #866
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,215
Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default

I just ordered the reflex version. I run mod outside and need the 84t (48p) to work so that works best for my needs.

So, with these and the top deck with the brace, what difference should be expected between running the brace or not running the brace if you don't have the layshaft bolts in?
__________________
www.teamgravityrc.com
Leisure Hours Raceway
Troy Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 09:39 AM   #867
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,215
Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_recliner View Post
I've recently ordered the RSD one to try. Can I run a 96 tooth 64 pitch?
Yes, easily.
__________________
www.teamgravityrc.com
Leisure Hours Raceway
Troy Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 09:41 AM   #868
Tech Master
 
cwoods34's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Indy-freakin'-ana
Posts: 1,152
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_recliner View Post
I've recently ordered the RSD one to try. Can I run a 96 tooth 64 pitch?
Yes. I ran a 100t 64p this past weekend with no issues. I just put a 115t 64p on last night...... It fits, BUT.... A little too close for comfort
__________________
Stop holding bitterness deep in your bum soul.
cwoods34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 10:18 AM   #869
Tech Elite
 
CristianTabush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Houston
Posts: 2,676
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Carter View Post
I just ordered the reflex version. I run mod outside and need the 84t (48p) to work so that works best for my needs.

So, with these and the top deck with the brace, what difference should be expected between running the brace or not running the brace if you don't have the layshaft bolts in?
With mod, I run the post 99% of the time. This os my breakdown:
1.no layshaft screws no post:
-maximum rear flex: makes the car more stuck in low grip conditions, good for non prepped surfaces. On high grip carpet can make the car over rotate from too much rear flex. The car tends to want to keep rolling in the middle of a corner, less on power traction, more off power traction. Great forward bite. Car can wander a bit if the oil and springs are not right.
2.no layshaft screws with post:
-high rear flex. More on power steering than regular T4 set up, car rolls well. Good compromise between flex and steering. More steering than regular set up on high bite. More off power traction in low bite, but less on power traction.
Car can wander a bit if oil and springs are not right.

With the lowered layshaft mount I feel like you can go up 50-100 both f/r to gain stability lost due to the increased flex.
__________________
REFLEX RACING/ RSD/ GIZMO RACING USA/ HOBBYWING/ AXON/ QTEQ/ TEAM PRIME

Last edited by CristianTabush; 12-18-2013 at 02:18 PM.
CristianTabush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 10:40 AM   #870
Tech Elite
 
Skiddins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Windsor, UK
Posts: 4,527
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CristianTabush View Post
With mod, I run the post 99% of the time. This os my breakdown:
1.no layshaft screws no post:
-maximum rear flex: makes the car more stuck in low grip conditions, good for non prepped surfaces. On high grip carpet can make the car over rotate from too much rear flex. The car tends to want to keep rolling in the middle of a corner, less on power traction, more off power traction. Great forward bite. Car can wander a bit if the oil and springs are not right.
2.no layshaft screws no post:
-high rear flex. More on power steering than regular T4 set up, car rolls well. Good compromise between flex and steering. More steering than regular set up on high bite. More off power traction in low bite, but less on power traction.
Car can wander a bit if oil and springs are not right.

With the lowered layshaft mount I feel like you can go up 50-100 both f/r to gain stability lost due to the increased flex.
I assume no.2 is 'No layshaft screws with post
__________________
Xray T4'16, T4'14 (Wet Car)
Xray X12 2016
Xray X1'16
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RD Disco
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 10:54 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.0