Old 10-21-2013, 06:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Aldo try using kit springs and thicken front oil to 525+-
Old 10-21-2013, 06:48 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TimPotter
First run with the '14 was solid. I have ya beat. I brought the car to the track, while announcing the racing, a group of people built my car. First tire on the track, was the 3rd q warm up lap. The car felt VERY much like the T4, but had more mid corner. Looking forward to getting the setup down. lot's of potential here...
Yep.... Alot more mid corner to exit.
I'm going to say... Best Xray I've owned

Not sure why our friends across the pond are having issues.

Surface, tires, ?

Build the car as per setup sheet that comes in the car, except,
Thicker front shock oil.
Thicker rear diff oil.
2.7 up front
Old 10-21-2013, 07:07 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by TimPotter
The car felt VERY much like the T4, but had more mid corner. Looking forward to getting the setup down. lot's of potential here...
I got to run my new car yesterday, and I had similar results. Very happy with the car. Looking forward to Halloween Classic now!

Snowy.
Old 10-21-2013, 07:14 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Al Sodano

Surface, tires, ?
Could be the carpet itself, or the temps and grip level on the carpet. Tyres etc.

The Friday club I run at it feels great, just need some tweaking.

Sunday was the first meeting I've ever run at where the carpet was new the day before.

Once these minor issues are sorted, it'll be ballistic

Thanks for the responses guys.
I'm slowly building a list of things to try next time.

Skiddins
Old 10-21-2013, 08:09 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Skiddins
Could be the carpet itself, or the temps and grip level on the carpet. Tyres etc.

The Friday club I run at it feels great, just need some tweaking.

Sunday was the first meeting I've ever run at where the carpet was new the day before.

Once these minor issues are sorted, it'll be ballistic

Thanks for the responses guys.

Skiddins
I think I would try going lower or wider with the rear hinge pins as well.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:14 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Does the xray 14 address the problem with the pinion gear rubbing holes into the side of the batteries like my Xray t4 does.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:17 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by rack
Does the xray 14 address the problem with the pinion gear rubbing holes into the side of the batteries like my Xray t4 does.
i found that its not the car its the motors,when i had the gm in it would rub as the gm sticks out too much,since using an lrp x20 it cant rub at all as it sits futher in away from the battery,i use pretty narrow pinions

Last edited by chasingthepack; 10-21-2013 at 08:32 AM.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:19 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Al, make sure you guys have that setup down for Jackson.. I'll be racing with you guys next year.

Originally Posted by Al Sodano
Yep.... Alot more mid corner to exit.
I'm going to say... Best Xray I've owned

Surface, tires, ?

Build the car as per setup sheet that comes in the car, except,
Thicker front shock oil.
Thicker rear diff oil.
2.7 up front
Old 10-21-2013, 08:22 AM
Bar
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mikkel_R
Not liking the sound of your experience with the new car as what problems you are mentioning are the exact same issues I have with the T4. When I heard that the new car had more steering than the old car I was a little worried as I never struggled with steering just rear grip break away.

Last year that's all I was chasing was rear grip. Like you said id like to be able to nail the rear down then slowly tune it out. I never had this problem with the T3 12. Must be my driving style as all the top lads get on well with the car. Zaks car at Bedworth looked amazing.
I ran the T4 all last year, this was my first ever Xray car. I raced the BRCA Clubmans and Bedworth race meetings, I had exactly the same issue as you, lack of rear end grip and steering, even with the smaller reflex racing steering post to increase steering lock. I purchased a second hand T3 2011 with the updated bulkhead mounts as a wet car. I have been running the car at the last few Bedworth club meetings, and for me and my driving style and in the low grip conditions I usually race in, it is a much better car, i set a PB for a sunday meeting in low grip conditions, which would of qualified me about 3rd or 4th in Bedworths round of the Clubmans, which was in much better conditions
Old 10-21-2013, 08:29 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Skiddins

Skiddins
same here,can i ask how it went with the wider rear track at amcc,did it equate to a faster lap?
Old 10-21-2013, 08:33 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bar
I ran the T4 all last year, this was my first ever Xray car. I raced the BRCA Clubmans and Bedworth race meetings, I had exactly the same issue as you, lack of rear end grip and steering, even with the smaller reflex racing steering post to increase steering lock. I purchased a second hand T3 2011 with the updated bulkhead mounts as a wet car. I have been running the car at the last few Bedworth club meetings, and for me and my driving style and in the low grip conditions I usually race in, it is a much better car, i set a PB for a sunday meeting in low grip conditions, which would of qualified me about 3rd or 4th in Bedworths round of the Clubmans, which was in much better conditions
I really do think you guys should try widening the rear of your car. The T4 was the first car to have the Hagberg mod built-in, which was to narrow the rear of the car at the pins. That change produced more corner speed, but reduced stability, IMO. Try adding .5 or even a full 1mm either using shims on the T4, or the outer hole blocks on the '14.

If that doesn't help, I would probably try 3 hole pistons, it'll generate more pack in the shocks, and slow things does just a bit to make the car more stable.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:35 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rack
This isn't my idea, so I take no credit for it. But here's what's working fantastically well for me on the '14.

Use the ramp weight in the middle of the chassis, it spaces the battery out slightly more than the plastic nuts and gives a bit more clearance for the motor. Then, put the pinion on backwards. You can do this now that the motor screws are inset and don't interfere. Then, you can gain perfect access to the pinion grub screw through the cutout in the bottom of the chassis for the spur gear, not the hole they provide for the pinion screw. Also, I run my spur gear offset toward the motor side, which is different than the manual.
Old 10-21-2013, 08:48 AM
Bar
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by erchn
I really do think you guys should try widening the rear of your car. The T4 was the first car to have the Hagberg mod built-in, which was to narrow the rear of the car at the pins. That change produced more corner speed, but reduced stability, IMO. Try adding .5 or even a full 1mm either using shims on the T4, or the outer hole blocks on the '14.

If that doesn't help, I would probably try 3 hole pistons, it'll generate more pack in the shocks, and slow things does just a bit to make the car more stable.
I ended up running a wider rear end, what ever I changed didn't really seem to improve the car the way I wanted, I must admit in really high grip conditions the car worked really well
Old 10-21-2013, 10:34 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by erchn

Thats the first thing I tried. Ive tried many things to get the rear to be more stable and none really got it going how i would like it.

It does seem alot of the cars designed outside of the UK are designed with high grip in mind. I dont think ive been to a UK track where I thought the grip was high.

At our local club I would say the grip level starts off low and by the end of the evening the grip comes up quite abit. Ive ran my TC3, Xray T1 T3, Schumacher MI4CX, Tamiya M05 mini and T4 and the T4 for me has the least mechanical grip. It never feels like it bites into the carpet more like floats around. But the worst thing for me is the lift off oversteer this car has.

So many times I nearly went back to the T3 but I stuck it out for the year hoping the T4 14 might feel better. Dont get me wrong the build quality of these cars are fantastic I just wish I could get it handling the way I like it.
Old 10-21-2013, 10:49 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mikkel_R
Thats the first thing I tried. Ive tried many things to get the rear to be more stable and none really got it going how i would like it.

It does seem alot of the cars designed outside of the UK are designed with high grip in mind. I dont think ive been to a UK track where I thought the grip was high.

At our local club I would say the grip level starts off low and by the end of the evening the grip comes up quite abit. Ive ran my TC3, Xray T1 T3, Schumacher MI4CX, Tamiya M05 mini and T4 and the T4 for me has the least mechanical grip. It never feels like it bites into the carpet more like floats around. But the worst thing for me is the lift off oversteer this car has.

So many times I nearly went back to the T3 but I stuck it out for the year hoping the T4 14 might feel better. Dont get me wrong the build quality of these cars are fantastic I just wish I could get it handling the way I like it.
Interesting. Thanks for the info.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.