R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-13-2014, 09:37 PM   #1996
Tech Elite
 
metalnut's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,726
Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by erchn View Post
I assume you mean, when changing roll center inserts at the hinge pins, do I/we change camber link shims too?

No, that would further lower the roll center, and change camber gain at the same time.
Hm... no, I just meant the camber links, I haven't considered changing the roll center at the hinge pins. I thought that to lower the roll center, the first step was to change the angle of the camber links.
__________________
Team Nervous | Team Scruffy | Team Orange

"If you ain't first, you're last!"
- Ricky Bobby
metalnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 09:51 PM   #1997
Tech Fanatic
 
erchn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Union City, CA
Posts: 779
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalnut View Post
Hm... no, I just meant the camber links, I haven't considered changing the roll center at the hinge pins. I thought that to lower the roll center, the first step was to change the angle of the camber links.
That certainly is one of the ways, raising the inside of the link will lower the roll center, and also reduce camber gain. It's generally a less aggressive change compared to lowering the hinge pins, given the same amount of shim change.
__________________
RCAmerica ; Team Powers USA ; Reflex Racing ; RC≥ RC Crew Chief ; Bezerk RC
erchn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 10:44 PM   #1998
Tech Elite
 
metalnut's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,726
Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by erchn View Post
That certainly is one of the ways, raising the inside of the link will lower the roll center, and also reduce camber gain. It's generally a less aggressive change compared to lowering the hinge pins, given the same amount of shim change.
Ok, right, then we're on the same page. I wasn't going after the more aggressive change just yet. But I was curious if people shim the inside link to, say, 3 or 4mm, before they drop the hub by 1mm?

I could be asking something dumb, so apologies in advance.
__________________
Team Nervous | Team Scruffy | Team Orange

"If you ain't first, you're last!"
- Ricky Bobby
metalnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 11:33 PM   #1999
Tech Fanatic
 
erchn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Union City, CA
Posts: 779
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalnut View Post
Ok, right, then we're on the same page. I wasn't going after the more aggressive change just yet. But I was curious if people shim the inside link to, say, 3 or 4mm, before they drop the hub by 1mm?

I could be asking something dumb, so apologies in advance.
Not dumb at all.

According to RC Crew Chief, I just double-checked, a .5mm shim change at the hinge pin is about a 3 times larger change to roll center compared to a .5mm shim change on the camber link. Changing the camber link tho will make a much more sizable change to camber gain. So, be mindful that you'll probably want to add more static camber when lowering your roll center via the camber links.

Speaking completely anecdotally, I find a .5mm change to upper camber link hard to feel on the track, most of the time. You might try a full 1mm change, or a .5mm change at the hinge pin to get a solid feel for how the change effected your car.
__________________
RCAmerica ; Team Powers USA ; Reflex Racing ; RC≥ RC Crew Chief ; Bezerk RC
erchn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 04:33 AM   #2000
Tech Elite
 
andrewdoherty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: ★Wylie, TX★
Posts: 3,763
Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)
Default

+1 to Ethan. I would prefer to reduce the shims at the hub first personally just to avoid any wheel rub on the outer camber link. 2mm will clear most wheelson the bench , but it can get close and I have seen it rub on some wheels, especially soft wheels that can deflect under load at mod speeds.
__________________
"Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you're right." -Henry Ford
"[Driving] Genius is 1% inspiration, and 99% perspiration" -T.A. Edison
|◤Hobbywing◢|◤SpeedzoneUSA.com◢|◤Pro-One◢|
|◤ReflexRacing.net◢|◤Protoform◢|◤AVID R/C◢|
andrewdoherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 07:50 AM   #2001
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 7
Default

Hello

On my t4 14 the pin in the outer u joint on the left front axle keeps sliding out and caching the king pin and locking the left front up. If any of you have had this problem pls tell me how it can be fixed.

Thanks
Rccardude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 07:56 AM   #2002
Tech Elite
 
Skiddins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Windsor, UK
Posts: 4,529
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rccardude View Post
Hello

On my t4 14 the pin in the outer u joint on the left front axle keeps sliding out and caching the king pin and locking the left front up. If any of you have had this problem pls tell me how it can be fixed.

Thanks
Do your driveshaft pins have a 'flat' in them?

If so, you need to ensure the grub screw goes into that flat spot and use some thread locking compound to hold it in place.

Skiddins
__________________
Xray T4'16, T4'14 (Wet Car)
Xray X12 2016
Xray X1'16
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RD Disco
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 04:11 PM   #2003
Tech Elite
 
metalnut's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,726
Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)
Default

I'm finding the Xray DCJs to be very frustrating. I've had the set screw back off about a dozen times now, resulting in the pin sliding out and either tearing up my C-hub or getting stuck in the knuckle. Two things I have learned.

1. Degrease the crap out of all the parts before you assemble
2. You GOOD loctite, not like what I've been using (just random RC brand). Use Permatex 243, which is "surface insensitive" and should handle oily conditions better. That's what I'm trying next.

I also have a set of RSD DCJs coming, the $100+ worth of Xray ones have let me down one too many times and may just serve as backups to the RSD ones soon.
__________________
Team Nervous | Team Scruffy | Team Orange

"If you ain't first, you're last!"
- Ricky Bobby
metalnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 04:41 PM   #2004
Tech Elite
 
Skiddins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Windsor, UK
Posts: 4,529
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalnut View Post
I'm finding the Xray DCJs to be very frustrating. I've had the set screw back off about a dozen times now, resulting in the pin sliding out and either tearing up my C-hub or getting stuck in the knuckle. Two things I have learned.

1. Degrease the crap out of all the parts before you assemble
2. You GOOD loctite, not like what I've been using (just random RC brand). Use Permatex 243, which is "surface insensitive" and should handle oily conditions better. That's what I'm trying next.

I also have a set of RSD DCJs coming, the $100+ worth of Xray ones have let me down one too many times and may just serve as backups to the RSD ones soon.
Heatshrink the tube section and replace it every now and again.
Problem solved
__________________
Xray T4'16, T4'14 (Wet Car)
Xray X12 2016
Xray X1'16
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RD Disco
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 04:50 PM   #2005
Tech Elite
 
metalnut's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,726
Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiddins View Post
Heatshrink the tube section and replace it every now and again.
Problem solved
I did try that but the heat shrink kept sliding off. I may just have cheap heat shrink, I bought a "multi-size bulk" container off of Amazon. Do you have specific heat shrink you use?
__________________
Team Nervous | Team Scruffy | Team Orange

"If you ain't first, you're last!"
- Ricky Bobby
metalnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 04:53 PM   #2006
Tech Master
 
xrayracer1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Under your bed.
Posts: 1,137
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrayracer1 View Post
Hey guys, would any of you have a setup I could use for running on a very cold track surface? The track that I'm running at is a concrete surface(although the surface is about to be repainted), and it's the middle of winter.
Bump.
__________________
Gavin.

Converting nitro to electric is utter blasphemy.
xrayracer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 04:57 PM   #2007
Tech Elite
 
metalnut's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Seattle
Posts: 2,726
Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrayracer1 View Post
Bump.
How does the car behave with the kit asphalt setup?
__________________
Team Nervous | Team Scruffy | Team Orange

"If you ain't first, you're last!"
- Ricky Bobby
metalnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 05:14 PM   #2008
Tech Master
 
xrayracer1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Under your bed.
Posts: 1,137
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalnut View Post
How does the car behave with the kit asphalt setup?
On fast corners/sweepers it tends to understeer mid corner, and on hard/ shard turns the backend kicks out a little. I'm running the kit setup with those carbon fibre plates on the rear arms and I'm running Take off 27 tires.
__________________
Gavin.

Converting nitro to electric is utter blasphemy.
xrayracer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 06:43 PM   #2009
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 7
Default

Hello

I'm green to on road rc racing and I've only raced once and have 2 weeks in between races. What maintenance I should do in between races and what I should do every two races.

Thanks
Rccardude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 06:50 PM   #2010
Tech Rookie
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrayracer1 View Post
Bump.
I don't have a very good setup but if your track allows tire prepping use mountain green. From what I've scene in full size racecars it will give you a lot of grip
Rccardude is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 02:14 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net

SEO by vBSEO 3.5.0