R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 06-21-2014, 08:56 AM   #1921
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalnut View Post
When you say the car steers in more and more, I'm thinking that the rear end is rotating too much, perhaps enough so that it then suddenly snaps loose. In theory, in my head, I could see that happening. You could try to stand up the shocks in the back and see how that reacts. Though I don't know what position you have them in. I could be completely wrong and it could be that the rear is actually too stiff and thus suddenly lets go. Any way you could get someone to shoot a video of a few corners?
They are in the basic carpet setup position, hole #3 or the second hole from the outside.

I'll give this a try as well. Yes I can' get some video, that's not a problem.

Thanks again.
homerthefourth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 08:59 AM   #1922
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerz616 View Post
You said you are using the basic kit setup so I assume you are using the 2.5 springs all-around. I had a similar issue a few weeks ago where we had some pretty high traction. My car was to soft and was rolling to a point and had no where else to go so the rear was letting go when I was getting off power. I was told to stiffen the car up a little. I am running the aluminum chassis, but I have my top deck split completely down the middle to allow the car to have more flex on our lower grip track at home here in Dallas. I put on a stock 2.0mm top deck and stiffer springs and the car was much better. I am guessing you are not running the aluminum chassis and a top deck like mine. Since yours is prob kit stock I would try some stiffer springs like 2.7's and see how that does. It worked pretty well for me.
A week ago I had an aluminum chassis on one of the cars as well as graphite arms. At that point the car seemed really loose. So went back to the graphite chassis and hard arms on it.

I can try 2.7s all the way around and see what's up with that.

Maybe I just don't know what I'm seeing or feeling. I"m glad you fellas are down to help. It's all a learning experience.

Last edited by homerthefourth; 06-21-2014 at 10:59 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-21-2014, 01:30 PM   #1923
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerthefourth View Post
They are in the basic carpet setup position, hole #3 or the second hole from the outside.

Thanks again.
Try dropping the shocks to the second hole from the inside front and rear and the 2.7 springs and see how it goes. If you have some 2.3 springs you can try those in the rear also if the 2.7 makes it worse.

XRAY T4'14/ORCA VXX/ORCA TX 5.0
XRAY XB8'14
Jerz616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 03:05 PM   #1924
Tech Regular

Quote:

Thanks again.
Change your diff oil to a harder one. Carpet basic setup has a low velocity oil for the rear to rotate faster.
Old 06-21-2014, 04:26 PM   #1925
Tech Adept

Our spec tire changed, so after throwing those babies on I made a few changes and tests.

Went from 2.5 to 2.7 springs up front with rear ride height at 5mm and front at 6mm pretty much eliminated the problem.

I'll play a bit but it will mostly be to see what more I can get out of the car.

In the future I might build the front with 4-450 cst oil as well to test. For not it will have to stay at 350.

Thanks for all the help.
Old 06-21-2014, 04:35 PM   #1926
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Quote:
Our spec tire changed, so after throwing those babies on I made a few changes and tests.

Went from 2.5 to 2.7 springs up front with rear ride height at 5mm and front at 6mm pretty much eliminated the problem.

I'll play a bit but it will mostly be to see what more I can get out of the car.

In the future I might build the front with 4-450 cst oil as well to test. For not it will have to stay at 350.

Thanks for all the help.
homer
what is the new spec tire? Are there any at 5280? if so, ask jim to toss a set in my pit area, and ill pay him next week.
Bob
goneracin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 05:00 PM   #1927
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by goneracin View Post
homer
what is the new spec tire? Are there any at 5280? if so, ask jim to toss a set in my pit area, and ill pay him next week.
Bob
The new Gravity formula. There are a box of them and unfortunately Jim has left.

There will be some Tuesday for sure.
Old 06-22-2014, 06:43 AM   #1928
Tech Master

Here is my T4 2014, about to start racing it. Can't wait!

azenis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 06:32 PM   #1929
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

So I have a chassis weight distribution / tweak question. Currently, I use setup wheels to "detweak" the chassis with spring preload adjustments. I aim to be able to lift the chassis up at each end (in the middle of the chassis at each end, with a thin screwdriver) so that both wheels at that end lift off of the setup board at the same time. I first make sure my droop/downstops are even and that my top deck is screwed down without introducing extra tweak, then I go for the lifting/preload setup.

I've also used the Hudy chassis balancing pins to try to have the left/right weight distribution even. With a ~315g 7200mah battery on one side, I still have to add lead weights to meet my 1450g class weight minimum. I'm running a Flow, RX-471, low profile servo and currently a Thunder Power motor, so I have some weight right in the middle of the chassis by the RX, and some in front of the servo.

Here is my problem. I have to add visibly more preload to two of the shocks, one front, one rear, at opposite corners of each other, to get the wheels to pick up evenly. Once I have it set, the ride height is a bit different from side to side, both front and back. What I mean is, at the rear, one side can be JUST at 5.5mm, while the other side is ALMOST at 6mm, though still 5.5mm.

Is that normal? Playing around with extra wight it seems to me that the chassis is heavier in the corners opposite of the ones that need the extra preload. Assuming I'm explaining myself clearly, anyone have comments/suggestions? I feel like I may be screwing up some basics here.

"If you ain't first, you're last!"
- Ricky Bobby
metalnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 07:38 PM   #1930
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to JordanC

Quote:
So I have a chassis weight distribution / tweak question. Currently, I use setup wheels to "detweak" the chassis with spring preload adjustments. I aim to be able to lift the chassis up at each end (in the middle of the chassis at each end, with a thin screwdriver) so that both wheels at that end lift off of the setup board at the same time. I first make sure my droop/downstops are even and that my top deck is screwed down without introducing extra tweak, then I go for the lifting/preload setup.

I've also used the Hudy chassis balancing pins to try to have the left/right weight distribution even. With a ~315g 7200mah battery on one side, I still have to add lead weights to meet my 1450g class weight minimum. I'm running a Flow, RX-471, low profile servo and currently a Thunder Power motor, so I have some weight right in the middle of the chassis by the RX, and some in front of the servo.

Here is my problem. I have to add visibly more preload to two of the shocks, one front, one rear, at opposite corners of each other, to get the wheels to pick up evenly. Once I have it set, the ride height is a bit different from side to side, both front and back. What I mean is, at the rear, one side can be JUST at 5.5mm, while the other side is ALMOST at 6mm, though still 5.5mm.

Is that normal? Playing around with extra wight it seems to me that the chassis is heavier in the corners opposite of the ones that need the extra preload. Assuming I'm explaining myself clearly, anyone have comments/suggestions? I feel like I may be screwing up some basics here.
It sounds like your shock towers are not straight. Loosen them, and re-tighten while you are pulling the tower upwards.
JordanC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 08:58 PM   #1931
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanC View Post
It sounds like your shock towers are not straight. Loosen them, and re-tighten while you are pulling the tower upwards.
Interesting, I'll double check them. But isn't this corner weight related too?

Edit: I loosened up the towers and tightened them while applying upward pressure, but I didn't notice them moving any, so I don't think that was it.

"If you ain't first, you're last!"
- Ricky Bobby

Last edited by metalnut; 06-22-2014 at 10:25 PM.
metalnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 02:36 AM   #1932
Tech Elite

Quote:
Interesting, I'll double check them. But isn't this corner weight related too?

Edit: I loosened up the towers and tightened them while applying upward pressure, but I didn't notice them moving any, so I don't think that was it.
And for some reason the corners that are heaviest are front servo side and rear opposite side to motor

At least that's what I've found on every car I've ever owned.

Personally, I'd be more concerned with making sure the ride heights are even on both sides.
wlrc.co.uk (West London Racing Centre)
RD Disco
Skiddins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 03:24 AM   #1933
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by azenis View Post
Here is my T4 2014, about to start racing it. Can't wait!

Looks Fantastic! hope it goes well for you
Old 06-23-2014, 06:19 AM   #1934
Tech Master

Thanks! Will find out soon enough.
azenis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 09:18 AM   #1935
Tech Adept

Default Best tyres for asphalt

What in your opinion is a great all around tyre for asphalt? Currently I'm using the LRP FLOW w/ 4.0 motor. So far I'm using the sweep asphalt version. Tyre works great, but doesn't last.
marvcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote