R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-30-2013, 12:47 PM   #1
Tech Rookie
Default Brushless Motor & Esc choice for a T.O.P Sabre FD Mini

Hi guys, i`ve been a long time basher, some 20 plus years and have had my first race yesterday!

Lots of discussion about the next season/winter season and we are most likely going to run with an open class for fwd mini chassis`s.

A few years ago, i ran 1/18 scale cars and fitted mamba motors and esc`s to them. The best part after the speed they delivered was the fact i could plug it into my laptop/comp and programme it from there.
I`ve had a look about for computerised type ESC`s and can find a few, but I was hoping for some advice on what would be a reasonable/cost effective Esc/Motor combination.
Also, i`m not sure of what motor would suite the sabre best. We use a stock 20t brushed motor at the moment and while this is ok for our twisty track, a little more speed would be better. I`ve tried a 15t brushed motor and that was in all honesty a bit too fast for the track and the car wasnt much fun to drive. I thought a 19t or 17t equivalent would be good? I also have to keep in mind that there are much better racers than me who may be able to handle the 15t kind of speed better than me, so i want to be quick, but driveable..

Thank you

Last edited by Major_Wrecker; 09-30-2013 at 12:49 PM. Reason: spelling error
Major_Wrecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 02:45 PM   #2
Tech Regular
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

In Aus we use the Hobbywing ezrun 13T combo in our standard and open class mini's. Laptimes in a standard mini are between a blinky 215 and a boosted 21.5 but you would find the open class would lap more like a boosted 21.5.
SERCCC - The world's best temporary RC track ;)

SERCCC, www.serccc.com
Space for rent!
luda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 02:39 PM   #3
Tech Rookie

Thankyou for your reply. I think that would be quicker than i was looking for, but price and the usb is a brilliant deal for the money.
Do you know if a 19T and 17T brushless is similar to a 19T and 17T brushed motor?
Major_Wrecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:26 PM   #4
Tech Initiate

Brushless is faster
It's better to burn out than to fade away
WarWest is offline   Reply With Quote