Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree30Likes

Old 07-20-2014, 08:18 AM   #946
Super Moderator

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by liljohn1064 View Post
As far as the rear pod. I wanted that to be virtually one solid piece. CF was the only way to do that. The plastic left pod brace bound and snapped on mine. The shock brace had too much flex and allowed the pod shape, axle and motor to shift. The lower pod plate stopped most of the that and the rear brace stopped all side to side flex. The front half parts may not be needed.

I agree! They should include the optional spacers and screws. Not everyone has a box of those floating around. 15 to 18 mm screws can be hard to find.
I agree, the rear pods are a little "soft" on these.

Thank you to all of our service men and women!

racer1812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 01:39 PM   #947
Tech Apprentice

Update time!

Saturday I did two stints to test the initial changes, some of which some of you were so kind to suggest, but the rear still came loose in the long and fast left handers, just not as violently as before. The only free fix I hadn't already tried was to balance the electronics better, so I went home and resoldered the cables so I could move the ESC from the side to the center, all the way up behind the servo. Didn't have a chance to test it before today, but on my very first pack I dropped the average lap time by half a second, from 19 to under 18,5. Finally a driveable car!

Unfortunately the track turned slippery just an hour later when a cooling breeze brought dust from the neighbouring sand volley pit, so that was it for my good runs today.

Side springs - tested Tamiya silvers and golds. Silvers gave the best on power grip under bad conditions, the golds were a lot better at preventing sudden oversteer when coming off power - a weight transfer issue? Will try preloading the silvers a bit, and perhaps move the battery a little forward. Good plan?

Pinions and gearing - with the Yeah Racing 21.5T a 72/24 combo yielded the best performance/temperature compromise, but I've retired that motor after testing my Turnigy Trackstar 21.5T. The Trackstar just doesn't heat up! After a pack at 72/25 it landed on 60C, not bad when the ambient temperature was 29C and the track 7 million degrees or so. Nice not having to worry about temperatures.
Only ran the Trackstar with two different pinions and in wildly varying conditons, but 72/23 gave the most consistent laps and 72/25 the fastest.
One of the F1 rubber claims he runs his (TRF101, I believe) at a 2.3 FDR, beating the super stocks top speed on the long straight. Not sure how much heavier my 1273g LM1 is, but at least I know I have options.

One last note - before assembling the LM1 I read about wheels not running true, so I didn't think much of it when it happened to my kit too. However, as another driver discovered when checking my car today, it seems I'd forgotten to insert the front axle set screws. No wonder my camber readings were all over the place
bakoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 03:07 PM   #948
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakoo View Post
Update time!

Saturday I did two stints to test the initial changes, some of which some of you were so kind to suggest, but the rear still came loose in the long and fast left handers, just not as violently as before. The only free fix I hadn't already tried was to balance the electronics better, so I went home and resoldered the cables so I could move the ESC from the side to the center, all the way up behind the servo. Didn't have a chance to test it before today, but on my very first pack I dropped the average lap time by half a second, from 19 to under 18,5. Finally a driveable car!

Unfortunately the track turned slippery just an hour later when a cooling breeze brought dust from the neighbouring sand volley pit, so that was it for my good runs today.

Side springs - tested Tamiya silvers and golds. Silvers gave the best on power grip under bad conditions, the golds were a lot better at preventing sudden oversteer when coming off power - a weight transfer issue? Will try preloading the silvers a bit, and perhaps move the battery a little forward. Good plan?

Pinions and gearing - with the Yeah Racing 21.5T a 72/24 combo yielded the best performance/temperature compromise, but I've retired that motor after testing my Turnigy Trackstar 21.5T. The Trackstar just doesn't heat up! After a pack at 72/25 it landed on 60C, not bad when the ambient temperature was 29C and the track 7 million degrees or so. Nice not having to worry about temperatures.
Only ran the Trackstar with two different pinions and in wildly varying conditons, but 72/23 gave the most consistent laps and 72/25 the fastest.
One of the F1 rubber claims he runs his (TRF101, I believe) at a 2.3 FDR, beating the super stocks top speed on the long straight. Not sure how much heavier my 1273g LM1 is, but at least I know I have options.

One last note - before assembling the LM1 I read about wheels not running true, so I didn't think much of it when it happened to my kit too. However, as another driver discovered when checking my car today, it seems I'd forgotten to insert the front axle set screws. No wonder my camber readings were all over the place
It's great you have some very good testing news! I run my esc and receiver in the middle up front, shorty battery all the way forward. My car is almost 50/50 balanced. I have no wiring touching anything that can hinder pod movement at all. I run heavier springs up front to compensate and don't get the wild weight shift or odd pendulum effect. I have enough rear traction mid corner that I don't want any more back there. My car is fairly light though. If you're diff is nice and tight, the rear must be getting the odd weight transfer like you said and snapping directions, almost like the rear end is suddenly rebounding. Try one step down on center shock or up one step on on damper fluid?
Old 08-02-2014, 07:55 AM   #949
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Any update on how the rubber tires are coming along?

I really need rain tires! The foams are still awesome otherwise.
OrganicMechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 08:11 AM   #950
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Haven't heard anything yet about the rubber tires. I was wondering if cutting a tread in the foams would work? I know that the dirt oval folks have been cutting treads in their foams for decades. Here is one of the "combs" that they use. I expect that it's NOT going to work for rain tires, but something inexpensive to try.

http://www.speedysracingparts.com/GroovingTools.htm

USVTA member #111
NutDriver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 04:59 PM   #951
Tech Champion

I give the kids car a good setup and he runs .5 seconds faster than me and only a couple tenths slower than the fast guys. It's his second time running this year, first time with the car and.... it's just not fair.

All kidding aside, this car is a great starting point for onroad RC. The investment in a couple of hop ups and spares is still minimal to any other kit out there. Wear and tear is minimal.
Old 08-03-2014, 05:41 AM   #952
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
I give the kids car a good setup and he runs .5 seconds faster than me and only a couple tenths slower than the fast guys. It's his second time running this year, first time with the car and.... it's just not fair.

All kidding aside, this car is a great starting point for onroad RC. The investment in a couple of hop ups and spares is still minimal to any other kit out there. Wear and tear is minimal.
Your kid was really fast out there. Now that I know it was his first time running the car I feel I need to shake his hand... because I'm jealous of his skills! You must have taught him well. Hopefully he comes with you again.
Old 08-04-2014, 02:58 PM   #953
Tech Fanatic

Bump for the LM1 thread. Looks like there's another Audi R18 heading out of the Skunkworks. Love this look, but it's friggin' time consuming, . The only decals on this bad boy are the ones that come from SP, as well as the reflective #1's. All other contingencies are done from the interior of the shell. In any case, enjoy and post some pics of it running if you see it at your local track.

Skunkworks Designs.
Howler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 03:42 PM   #954
Tech Fanatic

Nice work on the Audi R18! Always nice to see detailed race liveries. If I see Stan running the body I will try to snag some video to post up.
Old 08-04-2014, 04:25 PM   #955
Tech Fanatic

Thanks man! Much appreciated.

Skunkworks Designs.
Howler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 05:01 PM   #956
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicMechanic View Post
Nice work on the Audi R18! Always nice to see detailed race liveries. If I see Stan running the body I will try to snag some video to post up.
Uhh...that body will remain scratch-less.

Simply stunning Perry!
"Soon they will get everything they deserve. This isn't about trite elitism, but the otherwise intellectual and educated classes refusing to think for themselves. I call it situational ignorance, and painfully intolerable."

Stan Garvin
celt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 05:10 PM   #957
Tech Champion

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

God Save the Queen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by celt View Post

Simply stunning Perry!

Last edited by liljohn1064; 08-04-2014 at 06:54 PM.
liljohn1064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 05:21 PM   #958
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by celt View Post

Simply stunning Perry!
I didn't want to assume, but I figured! Shelf Queen!

Quote:
[YOUTUBE]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MGEqlNU30Tg[/YOUTUBE] God save the Queen
Nice!
Old 08-04-2014, 07:03 PM   #959
Tech Champion

Renault: Secretly preparing for Lemans come back:

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:41 PM   #960
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to trackdesigner71 Send a message via Yahoo to trackdesigner71

I'm looking forward to the new body. I kinda would have liked to see the Peugeot 908 battling the Porsche and Toyota and Audi and Nissan prototypes
trackdesigner71 is offline   Reply With Quote