R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree30Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-09-2014, 07:08 AM   #916
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 454
Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default

my new babies! love em!!!

__________________
Justin Cornett

RC America / XRAY / HUDY / KoPropo / Team EA Motorsports / AVID RC / RSD / ReflexRacing.net
gocoogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 09:33 AM   #917
Tech Champion
 
liljohn1064's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Deerfield, WI
Posts: 5,536
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

More CF, I'll have the full rear end done now. Just need the upper deck to come back in stock.
__________________
John Higgins former student of The Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driving School. The "Team Principal".
liljohn1064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 02:57 PM   #918
Tech Elite
 
trackdesigner71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Lynchburg/Portsmouth, VA
Posts: 4,978
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to trackdesigner71 Send a message via Yahoo to trackdesigner71
Default

Peugeot 908...very nice. Would love to see a Toyota TS040 themed body as well but the Peugeot should offer some nice variety to the LM1 class
trackdesigner71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 11:03 PM   #919
Tech Master
 
xrayracer1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Under your bed.
Posts: 1,182
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Hey guys, has anyone by any chance bent the rear axle on their LM-1? I was running mine for the first time at a local track where I hit the wall and on inspecting it after the qualifier I noticed the axle was bent. Has this happened to anyone else?
__________________
Gavin.

Converting nitro to electric is utter blasphemy.
xrayracer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 05:52 AM   #920
Tech Champion
 
robk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Posts: 7,566
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default

It happens. I got blasted by a car a coming from a couple lanes over (!) and it bent the axle on my car.
__________________
A mutually re-enforcing cascade of failure

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 06:58 PM   #921
Tech Champion
 
liljohn1064's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Deerfield, WI
Posts: 5,536
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrayracer1 View Post
Hey guys, has anyone by any chance bent the rear axle on their LM-1? I was running mine for the first time at a local track where I hit the wall and on inspecting it after the qualifier I noticed the axle was bent. Has this happened to anyone else?
Bent axle here too. One carbon axle that failed with the grain also. Nerf bars would be nice.
__________________
John Higgins former student of The Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driving School. The "Team Principal".
liljohn1064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 08:32 PM   #922
Tech Elite
 
NutDriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 2,143
Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default

I haven't checked it yet, so I apologize in advance for asking. Is the axle interchangeable with the F103, F104, or others?
__________________
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

USVTA member #111
NutDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 10:47 PM   #923
Tech Master
 
xrayracer1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Under your bed.
Posts: 1,182
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutDriver View Post
I haven't checked it yet, so I apologize in advance for asking. Is the axle interchangeable with the F103, F104, or others?
Unless the f103 uses a different shaft to the f104, no they aren't interchangeable. the Speed Passion shaft has a thread on it for a nylock nut. The Tamiya ball diff is a slightly different setup.
__________________
Gavin.

Converting nitro to electric is utter blasphemy.
xrayracer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 03:08 PM   #924
Tech Apprentice
 
bakoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Oslo, Norway
Posts: 66
Default Haven't got any pan car experience before the LM-1...

...so I would really appreciate some pointers.

Ran my stock setup LM1 (21.5T 26/72, shorty in the back, fully sauced rears) on warm high grip asphalt this weekend, and had the rear chase the front in any high speed turn, no matter if I let off the throttle or not. Tirewear is even and I have no problem tracking straight, so camber and toe feels fine.
As both the fronts and rears hook up well in tighter turns at lower speed - I can jam the throttle out of any turn for 1,5 secs before things start to get shaky - I suspect the suspension is too soft.
Another clue that might tell you something is that using a full size battery made everything worse, to the extent that I'd be better off piloting the Swamp Dawg airboat around

Anyone have a clue what the viscosities of the stock oil and grease are, and perhaps also the spring rates on the stock springs? As always, ball park numbers (or colours) are better than nothing.
Edit: If my calipher isn't too far off, and I'm really counting 5,5 coils, the stock center spring rate is 8,25 lbs/in.

Second, which size/type/brand of springs fit the LM1?
Edit: I've ordered Tamiya springs, but see people also talk about AE (Team Associated?) and CRC, so I guess there is a standard.
  • Side springs - a selection of Tamiya roll springs (54352) are on the way (SP000735 isn't out yet).
  • Oil damper - thinking of trying 450 cSt oil next, but what about the spring? Neither my touring nor m-chassis springs fit very well. They're all shorter and also smaller in diameter, so I have to spend 3/4 of the preload thread just to get an m-chassis spring snug.
  • Front springs - ordered the Tamiya F1 Front Spring Set (50509) (the SP000734 set isn't available yet)

There are so many tuning options, and not that many running days, so where should I start?
As I've said already the grip is very good, had to exercise restraint to avoid traction rolling my other car, a 13.5T touring, on worn Sweep 36 rubbers. Hell, even my old, reglued Sweep 40s were screaming like B-movie horror actresses.

I do have some ideas on how to proceed, but don't really know if they're any good:
  • Reduce caster from 10* to 5* to ease some of the steering off (for now I've dialed the EPA down to 50%)
  • Switch to stiffer springs, if not all around then at least in the rear and middle, to help plant the car at higher speeds
  • Thicker oil and grease in the dampers, for the same reasons as above. My choices are the stock grease and some 60 000 cSt. 30 000 cSt soon in the mail.
  • Lower the ride height some (was 6.8mm stock, a little less after 10 packs of tire wear)
  • Find out how playing with the side springs, and changing the pod links - like having them go toe-in - affects handling

Sorry for the long mess, but I'm hoping for a sunny day tomorrow and didn't want to leave anything out

Last edited by bakoo; 07-15-2014 at 01:38 AM. Reason: I kant spel, forgot some things, updates.
bakoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 12:03 PM   #925
Tech Champion
 
liljohn1064's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Deerfield, WI
Posts: 5,536
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakoo View Post
...so I would really appreciate some pointers.

Ran my stock setup LM1 (21.5T 26/72, shorty in the back, fully sauced rears) on warm high grip asphalt this weekend, and had the rear chase the front in any high speed turn, no matter if I let off the throttle or not. Tirewear is even and I have no problem tracking straight, so camber and toe feels fine.
As both the fronts and rears hook up well in tighter turns at lower speed - I can jam the throttle out of any turn for 1,5 secs before things start to get shaky - I suspect the suspension is too soft.
Another clue that might tell you something is that using a full size battery made everything worse, to the extent that I'd be better off piloting the Swamp Dawg airboat around

Anyone have a clue what the viscosities of the stock oil and grease are, and perhaps also the spring rates on the stock springs? As always, ball park numbers (or colours) are better than nothing.
Edit: If my calipher isn't too far off, and I'm really counting 5,5 coils, the stock center spring rate is 8,25 lbs/in.

Second, which size/type/brand of springs fit the LM1?
Edit: I've ordered Tamiya springs, but see people also talk about AE (Team Associated?) and CRC, so I guess there is a standard.
  • Side springs - a selection of Tamiya roll springs (54352) are on the way (SP000735 isn't out yet).
  • Oil damper - thinking of trying 450 cSt oil next, but what about the spring? Neither my touring nor m-chassis springs fit very well. They're all shorter and also smaller in diameter, so I have to spend 3/4 of the preload thread just to get an m-chassis spring snug.
  • Front springs - ordered the Tamiya F1 Front Spring Set (50509) (the SP000734 set isn't available yet)

There are so many tuning options, and not that many running days, so where should I start?
As I've said already the grip is very good, had to exercise restraint to avoid traction rolling my other car, a 13.5T touring, on worn Sweep 36 rubbers. Hell, even my old, reglued Sweep 40s were screaming like B-movie horror actresses.

I do have some ideas on how to proceed, but don't really know if they're any good:
  • Reduce caster from 10* to 5* to ease some of the steering off (for now I've dialed the EPA down to 50%)
  • Switch to stiffer springs, if not all around then at least in the rear and middle, to help plant the car at higher speeds
  • Thicker oil and grease in the dampers, for the same reasons as above. My choices are the stock grease and some 60 000 cSt. 30 000 cSt soon in the mail.
  • Lower the ride height some (was 6.8mm stock, a little less after 10 packs of tire wear)
  • Find out how playing with the side springs, and changing the pod links - like having them go toe-in - affects handling

Sorry for the long mess, but I'm hoping for a sunny day tomorrow and didn't want to leave anything out
You are on asphalt? I would say ride height is hurting you most. Damper oil weight 450 CST should work really well with the stock spring. Try adjusting the preload on the side springs. Kit setup is just touching to maybe a half turn touching, then adjust tweak. Front springs, make sure you have front droop of .5 to 1 mm with as little preload as possible. The springs themselves are very soft. I run Tamiya blacks which are very firm. As far as gearing you can go a couple teeth less on the pinion without losing top end. Also check your speed controller to make sure your launch control is turned down or current limiter is around 30 Amps. It will stop excessive wheel spin when you hit the motor's power band. Try to get a rollout around 52mm to start. Gear up and down from there depending on temperature.
__________________
John Higgins former student of The Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driving School. The "Team Principal".
liljohn1064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 01:27 PM   #926
Tech Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 615
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackdesigner71 View Post
Any chance we could see other bodies like a Porsche 919 or a Toyota TS040 or Lotus T129 or Lola B12/60?
Hi trackdesigner71;

Yes......I'd say the chances are pretty good.

Dale Epp - Protoform Race Bodies
__________________
PROTOform Race Bodies
www.racePF.com // www.facebook.com/PROTOformRaceBodies // www.twitter.com/RacePF
daleepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 01:46 PM   #927
Tech Apprentice
 
bakoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Oslo, Norway
Posts: 66
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by liljohn1064 View Post
You are on asphalt? I would say ride height is hurting you most. Damper oil weight 450 CST should work really well with the stock spring. Try adjusting the preload on the side springs. Kit setup is just touching to maybe a half turn touching, then adjust tweak. Front springs, make sure you have front droop of .5 to 1 mm with as little preload as possible. The springs themselves are very soft. I run Tamiya blacks which are very firm. As far as gearing you can go a couple teeth less on the pinion without losing top end. Also check your speed controller to make sure your launch control is turned down or current limiter is around 30 Amps. It will stop excessive wheel spin when you hit the motor's power band. Try to get a rollout around 52mm to start. Gear up and down from there depending on temperature.
Thanks liljohn!

Yes, I'm on high grip asphalt. ESC is in blinky mode with punch and brakes dialed down, and motor temperatures are ok after 6 minutes of running, so the gearing stays for now. However, as soon as I get the car planted enough to do consistent laps I'll start playing with pinion sizes to find the sweet spot.

I'll start by lowering the ride height a bit, and try to get the droop and springs to where you recommend them being. Harder springs and thicker grease for the friction dampers will have to wait until the intercontinental mailman arrives.

Still not sure about which caster blocks to use. We're driving outside on asphalt on a flowing 1:10 track with only a couple of really tight turns, and I already have reduced steering end points to 50% - is there any reason for me to switch from 10* to 5* caster blocks, or would that just make tings worse?

Thanks again!
bakoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 01:53 PM   #928
Tech Champion
 
liljohn1064's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Deerfield, WI
Posts: 5,536
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakoo View Post
Thanks liljohn!

Yes, I'm on high grip asphalt. ESC is in blinky mode with punch and brakes dialed down, and motor temperatures are ok after 6 minutes of running, so the gearing stays for now. However, as soon as I get the car planted enough to do consistent laps I'll start playing with pinion sizes to find the sweet spot.

I'll start by lowering the ride height a bit, and try to get the droop and springs to where you recommend them being. Harder springs and thicker grease for the friction dampers will have to wait until the intercontinental mailman arrives.

Still not sure about which caster blocks to use. We're driving outside on asphalt on a flowing 1:10 track with only a couple of really tight turns, and I already have reduced steering end points to 50% - is there any reason for me to switch from 10* to 5* caster blocks, or would that just make tings worse?

Thanks again!
Caster blocks, I use 5* with all shims back. I could probably go with 1 forward as I get enough camber gain from the caster setting and still no push (understeer). I'd keep lowering the caster until the front end starts to understeer a bit and then go back one shim.
__________________
John Higgins former student of The Ian Ruggles Negative Reinforcement Driving School. The "Team Principal".
liljohn1064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 06:29 PM   #929
Tech Champion
 
robk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Posts: 7,566
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default

Can you see any rear tire marks inside the body? I have seen the tires contact the body under a lot of roll.

Although you think the camber is ok, how much do you have? You may not need much more than .5*.

The center shock uses HPI sized springs. Tamiya springs are too small of a diameter, unless you use a Tamiya shock bottom and adjuster on the body.

The front springs are pretty soft, something like a Tamiya gold or an .018 spring would possibly be a little better.

Also what are you putting on the tires? Sunscreen is usually the best thing in combination with an initial layer of paragon
__________________
A mutually re-enforcing cascade of failure

"Failior [sic] crowns enterprise." Robert Goddard

I-Lap Scoring Systems http://www.rclapcounter.com/
robk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 06:07 AM   #930
Tech Adept
 
adriang79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Hobart, Tasmania
Posts: 138
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by daleepp View Post
Hi trackdesigner71;

Yes......I'd say the chances are pretty good.

Dale Epp - Protoform Race Bodies

Oooooohhh, sounds good!!!

Lola B12/60 please!!!
__________________
www.stmcc-hobart.weebly.com STMCC Secretary

Team Associated TC7 - Hobbywing V3.1 Stock spec -Team Powers Actinium 13.5

http://stmcc-hobart.weebly.com/rcmaker-tas-challenge.html
adriang79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 08:43 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net