R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 12-09-2013, 08:15 PM   #376
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to liljohn1064 Send a message via MSN to liljohn1064 Send a message via Yahoo to liljohn1064

Roller! Nice easy build. Only gripe is still the front upper ball retainer strips too easy. I'd like to see it in aluminum some day.
Old 12-10-2013, 10:21 AM   #377
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Just ordered mine today....looking forward to running some exhibition laps and I am sure others here will on board quickly!

Maybe run in Cano's "break out class" to start with.
Old 12-10-2013, 01:45 PM   #378
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to trackdesigner71 Send a message via Yahoo to trackdesigner71

I was still thinking limiting paint schemes to actual life paint schemes from international racing
trackdesigner71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 02:22 PM   #379
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackdesigner71 View Post
I was still thinking limiting paint schemes to actual life paint schemes from international racing
Hi. Then there would be just three paint schemes you could use. Audi R18,
Toyota TS030 and Lola B60/12. These are the only cars that run the Le Mans
class coupes. Regards
Norman
Norman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 02:56 PM   #380
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

The Rebellion car would qualify, would it not? It did win the Petit LeMans this year.
How about the Dyson Lola?

USVTA member #111
NutDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 03:00 PM   #381
Tech Elite

USVTA member #111
Old 12-10-2013, 03:01 PM   #382
Tech Elite

For those who wonder what the back of the Dyson Lola looks like....

USVTA member #111
Old 12-10-2013, 03:17 PM   #383
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackdesigner71 View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think what he meant was ANY actual life paint scheme, not strictly from a team in an existing P1 or equivalent race category.
simple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 04:34 PM   #384
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think what he meant was ANY actual life paint scheme, not strictly from a team in an existing P1 or equivalent race category.
Hi, Maybe that is what he meant but I still think they are trying to put too
many restrictions on the proposed class such as spur and pinions, motor and ESC brand and chassis. This is what happened to F1 and it is not as popular
any more. I am going to run mine as fast as I can make it and still drive competitively. Regards
Norman
PS. I am also in favor of paint jobs like real racing cars and no Flames,tribal
designs and all the others that TC class cars have.
Old 12-10-2013, 05:01 PM   #385
Tech Champion

Send a message via AIM to liljohn1064 Send a message via MSN to liljohn1064 Send a message via Yahoo to liljohn1064

Lots of good livery ideas here.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:14 PM   #386
Tech Champion

Tearing apart a second kit for spares just breaks my heart. But a $45.00 spare body, a $50.00 set of tires and parts for both the LM-1 and SP-1 for about $100.00 is a no-brainer.

Any updates on the 21.5 testing from the Chicago area crew?
Old 12-10-2013, 09:34 PM   #387
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by liljohn1064 View Post
Tearing apart a second kit for spares just breaks my heart. But a $45.00 spare body, a $50.00 set of tires and parts for both the LM-1 and SP-1 for about $100.00 is a no-brainer.

Any updates on the 21.5 testing from the Chicago area crew?
Yes, I guess :-)

Kevin and I both ran 21.5 configured cars tonight. We do have 3 of these running here at The Track as well as a F104 conversion and a WGT conversion in Urbana and an HPI F10 conversion running full modified.

There are also a few running in Oshkosh at this point and I would really like to hear from them as well as to what they have experienced.

Here are my observations to this point, I must point out, THESE are only my experiences and opinions during, after and while running/racing. I will run the LM Class however, 17.5 or 21.5, but I will also run a motor that makes sense to me and the conditions.

This is what I have seen and experienced with 17.5:

Extreme plastic stretching and loosening. Most notably, at the upper shock mount from the extreme pressure. Broken left side pod from excessive torque (different driver). Damaged spur gears from motor shift from torque and impacts at speed. Destroyed front bumper (cool impact :-) ). Foam separation and excessive side wall wear from rear rim due to excessive side loads. Under the right conditions, you can actually break/spin the tires under hard acceleration.

In running the 21.5's we have found what he and I both think is a happy compromise.

SP 72t spur, the 64p is really prone to stripping from pod tweak/twist
4mm ride height
1250g minimum

Now, it takes some work in the front end to get the 4mm. I had to add another 2mm of spacers under the front arms and raise the steering post 2mm as well. I used Associated 12R5 front bulkhead shims #4617 to do this, especially under the arm mount insert. Kevin had trued his front tires down to 63.2mm so had less shimming. Mine were at 64.2 in the front. My rears are down to 66.8 after about 30 runs with no truing. They are also starting to show signs of coning.

The car is still fast enough to be fun and has been much easier to drive with little chance of traction rolling. It is also a lap quicker from what I had run on Sunday running with the USGT's. It will still roll over mind you, just not as easy as at RH of 5mm.

Instead of a minimum REAR tire diameter, limiting the rear axle bearing carrier to the maximum of -1mm from kit 0. This should keep ride height around 4mm when the rear tire hits 63mm. I think by the time the tire hits this size, on carpet anyway, it may no longer be in good shape. This may also greatly discourage slamming the body way down and chopping the front splitter to near nothing.

Just a few thoughts.
Old 12-11-2013, 06:26 AM   #388
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutDriver View Post
Hi Nut Driver. The Dyson cars are Lola B60/12 coupes that I mentioned in my post. Another neat body which is still available is the Tamiya Toyota TS-020.
Photo attached. Regards
Norman
Attached Thumbnails
Speed Passion brand new Spec Racing LeMans car - The LM1-toyota-ts-020.jpg  
Old 12-11-2013, 07:05 AM   #389
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ercwhtsd View Post
There are also a few running in Oshkosh at this point and I would really like to hear from them as well as to what they have experienced.
Eric,

It sounds like you've been running this chassis harder than we have, our tracks are just smaller and with less grip in some cases. However, we have come to the same conclusion for different reasons. We've noticed very, very liitle tire wear, haven't slammed the body down or bothered to cut the tires. We've tried to run them box stock, just as they are. None of us have had any breakage yet other than damaged ego's with some sizable dents in the beautiful body shell. All fixed though, nothing permanent.

It doesn't take but a moment to see that with a 17.5, it's fast, really fast, like rocket ship fast. I don't have the ability to race with anyone at that speed, with any confidence. Make no mistake, it's a hoot to wheel that thing around looking like a blur attached to a string. But I'm looking to increase the quality of racing.

We had a practice night last night and have decided to give 21.5 a try, next time out. It makes all the sense in the world for conditions anywhere around here. Eric's concens and mine simply fall away with a little slower speeds I think. Again, larger carpet or asphalt tracks with more open layouts? 17.5 might make more sense.

Many of those around here have said this is the coolest thing they've seen in RC for a long time - and it couldn't be more affordable. With a 21.5 and foam tires, most anyone with a functioning brain stem can pilot this chassis with a ton of confidence. We need to get people racing with an affordable, realistic, easily tunable, easy for mere mortals to drive, class.

Or...on-road will go away.
"Soon they will get everything they deserve. This isn't about trite elitism, but the otherwise intellectual and educated classes refusing to think for themselves. I call it situational ignorance, and painfully intolerable."

Stan Garvin
celt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 07:13 AM   #390
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by celt View Post
Eric,

It sounds like you've been running this chassis harder than we have, our tracks are just smaller and with less grip in some cases. However, we have come to the same conclusion for different reasons. We've noticed very, very liitle tire wear, haven't slammed the body down or bothered to cut the tires. We've tried to run them box stock, just as they are. None of us have had any breakage yet other than damaged ego's with some sizable dents in the beautiful body shell. All fixed though, nothing permanent.

It doesn't take but a moment to see that with a 17.5, it's fast, really fast, like rocket ship fast. I don't have the ability to race with anyone at that speed, with any confidence. Make no mistake, it's a hoot to wheel that thing around looking like a blur attached to a string. But I'm looking to increase the quality of racing.

We had a practice night last night and have decided to give 21.5 a try, next time out. It makes all the sense in the world for conditions anywhere around here. Eric's concens and mine simply fall away with a little slower speeds I think. Again, larger carpet or asphalt tracks with more open layouts? 17.5 might make more sense.

Many of those around here have said this is the coolest thing they've seen in RC for a long time - and it couldn't be more affordable. With a 21.5 and foam tires, most anyone with a functioning brain stem can pilot this chassis with a ton of confidence. We need to get people racing with an affordable, realistic, easily tunable, easy for mere mortals to drive, class.

Or...on-road will go away.
Yes, I have been "beating" on it pretty good, much like I did with the Slash when they first came out. I have to make sure to thank Howard and SP/Speedpower USA, F1RCLab for having the parts I needed, although I have only replaced the rear axle at this point.

With the exception of a bent rear axle, much like the Bolink chassis was susceptible, to it has taken the abuse like a Timex and kept on running.

This is a VERY forgiving chassis platform, now, if maybe it could be offered as a possible Tx ready or even an RTR with 21.5...