Search
Like Tree35Likes

Speed Passion brand new Spec Racing LeMans car - The LM1

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 04:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by fredswain
When the F1 class got big here a year and a half ago, there was a big push to allow only realistic paint scheme to be allowed to race. That upset some people since some always used the same paint jobs on all of their cars. Ultimately lots of people never ended up racing in the class having already purchased their cars. The class has nearly died here already. Most follow the realistic scheme look but it should be a general guideline not a set in stone rule. That's a sure way to breed animosity towards the class and those who participate in it.

Having participated in various "spec" style racing classes in the past, I've witnessed similar issues come up nearly every time. This class, as well as F1, are meant to appeal to racers that may be fans of the full scale racing classes, want to retain scale looks and realistic liveries. If you want to come up with something unique, go for it - but there's no reason you shouldn't be able to incorporate this in to a livery-style scheme.
I've seen the body and paint rules get pushed, then wheels and tires, then gearing and batteries - and eventually destroy what was once a great thing. I personally don't want to see any wheels on an F1 or LM that don't fit the scale appearance. Offset, aspect ratio, and "dead cat" area play a big part in making this car look so good - Speed Passion did a great job here. Bodies should always stick with the spirit of the class - vintage would be sweet, too - GTP bodies and such. The idea of a Mazda 787B is making my pants tight. Like... right now.
Old 11-12-2013, 05:13 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

"dead cat" area?
Old 11-12-2013, 05:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Sorcerer001
Having participated in various "spec" style racing classes in the past, I've witnessed similar issues come up nearly every time. This class, as well as F1, are meant to appeal to racers that may be fans of the full scale racing classes, want to retain scale looks and realistic liveries. If you want to come up with something unique, go for it - but there's no reason you shouldn't be able to incorporate this in to a livery-style scheme.
I've seen the body and paint rules get pushed, then wheels and tires, then gearing and batteries - and eventually destroy what was once a great thing. I personally don't want to see any wheels on an F1 or LM that don't fit the scale appearance. Offset, aspect ratio, and "dead cat" area play a big part in making this car look so good - Speed Passion did a great job here. Bodies should always stick with the spirit of the class - vintage would be sweet, too - GTP bodies and such. The idea of a Mazda 787B is making my pants tight. Like... right now.
While I didn't see it this last weekend, I have seen the winning 787B in person before. Then again with an online name elsewhere like Rotarygod, should I do any less!
Old 11-12-2013, 05:52 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

When the F1 class got big here a year and a half ago, there was a big push to allow only realistic paint scheme to be allowed to race. That upset some people since some always used the same paint jobs on all of their cars. Ultimately lots of people never ended up racing in the class having already purchased their cars. The class has nearly died here already. Most follow the realistic scheme look but it should be a general guideline not a set in stone rule. That's a sure way to breed animosity towards the class and those who participate in it.
There are really no solid rule about the paint scheme. However, we just encourage ppl to be creative and NOT to use the typical TC paint scheme on the LeMan....when I said typical, I meant the typical flame scheme that you can find on each race.

A solid white or black paint with lots of sticker will work....look at those Lotus or Ferrari Scheme.
Old 11-12-2013, 06:22 PM
Tech Master

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora La Reina de Los Ángeles del Río de Porciúncula, California, Unites States of America
Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

So for spec racing, can we change parts (adding hopups) on this car?
Old 11-12-2013, 06:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by trackdesigner71
"dead cat" area?
It's an automotive design term for the area between the tire and lip of the wheel well. I'm sure there is a more technical term, but it's probably one of the most important design elements for a 1:1 car - American car companies used to do a terrible job of getting this right. Take a look at goofier closed-wheel RC cars - it's usually due to there being too much dead ca... Too much gap/ride height. The way a wheel and tire fill a fender makes a huge difference in scale appeal. The LM-1 is doing it right.
Old 11-12-2013, 07:22 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by lagcisco
So for spec racing, can we change parts (adding hopups) on this car?
Yes, I don't see why not.....
Old 11-12-2013, 07:44 PM
Tech Champion

I guess one could fit a dead cat in there? hahaha
Old 11-12-2013, 07:50 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Solara
Yes, I don't see why not.....
I think that sort of thing has to be carefully monitored if youre going to allow replacement parts
Old 11-12-2013, 07:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

@Ed Delgado,

How about the Porsche "pig car". This shows the different cuts of pork when butchered.

Old 11-13-2013, 06:28 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NutDriver
@Ed Delgado,

How about the Porsche "pig car". This shows the different cuts of pork when butchered.

Yes, the 917/20. That will work.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:01 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Solara
There are really no solid rule about the paint scheme. However, we just encourage ppl to be creative and NOT to use the typical TC paint scheme on the LeMan....when I said typical, I meant the typical flame scheme that you can find on each race.

A solid white or black paint with lots of sticker will work....look at those Lotus or Ferrari Scheme.
We have a local guy that has run the same paint scheme on all of his cars since the late 80's. It is basically the Red/White Marlboro colors. It's a very simple design. Instead of red however, he uses pink. That's just his color. There was a big argument and he was told that if he showed up with that body that he'd never be allowed to race it. He never did end up racing which is sad since he once owned Bullet Racing and Raborn Racing which were 80's/90's RC companies.

Since I have always been a Mazda fan, I wanted to do a Mazda inspired paint scheme. Much like the green/orange 787B in design but with newer colors from when Mazda ran a rotary in ALMS several years ago. I wanted either the yellow/blue of that design or white/blue variation of it but applied to the F1 car. Again, I was told that Mazda didn't race in F1 and I therefor wouldn't be allowed to race. I too have never raced in the F1 class here and have just not gotten around to unloading the car yet.

In both cases we wanted a real race style livery. Barry wanted his to be Marlboro themed but in pink rather than red and I wanted a Mazda color scheme but applied to a class that they never raced in. A "what if" car. These weren't flashy tc style airbrush masterpieces. They were race liveries. Since they didn't apply to the specific type of car, we were told, don't show up. We didn't. F1 is nearly dead here now. It had a short life.

Since LeMans is my personal favorite race and racing series, I intend to buy one of these just to run at the track. I don't care about racing it. I just want to have fun with no politics and that pretty much means no racing.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NutDriver
@Ed Delgado,

Oh, I am so in love! This is awesome!

I already have a pig head that I got for the driver figure in my VTA car, so the precedent is established.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:37 AM
Tech Champion

We have a local guy that has run the same paint scheme on all of his cars since the late 80's. It is basically the Red/White Marlboro colors. It's a very simple design. Instead of red however, he uses pink. That's just his color. There was a big argument and he was told that if he showed up with that body that he'd never be allowed to race it. He never did end up racing which is sad since he once owned Bullet Racing and Raborn Racing which were 80's/90's RC companies.

Since I have always been a Mazda fan, I wanted to do a Mazda inspired paint scheme. Much like the green/orange 787B in design but with newer colors from when Mazda ran a rotary in ALMS several years ago. I wanted either the yellow/blue of that design or white/blue variation of it but applied to the F1 car. Again, I was told that Mazda didn't race in F1 and I therefor wouldn't be allowed to race. I too have never raced in the F1 class here and have just not gotten around to unloading the car yet.

In both cases we wanted a real race style livery. Barry wanted his to be Marlboro themed but in pink rather than red and I wanted a Mazda color scheme but applied to a class that they never raced in. A "what if" car. These weren't flashy tc style airbrush masterpieces. They were race liveries. Since they didn't apply to the specific type of car, we were told, don't show up. We didn't. F1 is nearly dead here now. It had a short life.

Since LeMans is my personal favorite race and racing series, I intend to buy one of these just to run at the track. I don't care about racing it. I just want to have fun with no politics and that pretty much means no racing.
There should NOT be any turn around for anyone to paint these body in the way that they like...if they still want the flame scheme on it, I think it is fine. We are not here to draw the line about the paint scheme on LeMan but we are here created something that is high detailed and should use some special scheme to finsih off...

And you need to do this...

We are projecting 30-40% of the LeMan customer are buying the kit as a display unit..........we are hanging up 6 of these kits in 6 different scheme on our conference room wall just to display it as a "ART" unit....I will take picture of that later.

Again....there are no RULE here, i know one of our driver loves to paint "Spongebob" on his car........and actually I think that is NICE.

Last edited by Solara; 11-13-2013 at 07:52 AM.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:45 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by trackdesigner71
I think that sort of thing has to be carefully monitored if youre going to allow replacement parts
It is the DIRECT BOLT ON option parts....not retro-fit option parts. If someone is mounting the WGT axle with tires, that is a NO. Rob King is already drafting the 1st draft about the LeMan class and do allow the F1 conversion on it but must use the single nut wheel mounting axle like the F1 does.

I can see there might be some WGT conversion (using the F1 axle on it and using front wheel knuckle for F1)....this class is new, and is fresh, and I think there should be some room to attract driver to join first...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.