R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-17-2015, 09:32 PM   #346
Dan
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

The IFS has a noticeable difference on asphalt, but this is on my F1R2. I just slapped it on my SJF01 too.

On carpet, my F1R2 with IFS was easy to drive but I don't think I had much advantage, if any to the traditional front end setup. This is just my opinion, and I consider myself to be an average racer. Outdoor asphalt season starts up soon at my local track, so we'll see how how the SJ does.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 01:36 AM   #347
Tech Master

Just come back from our Nats and found the 104 style rubber tyres just no good as did a lot of others as just couldnt get the steering i was after...track was cooler than expected on heat and finals day with even light drizzle off and on both days and lucky to get racing in as forecast was for rain.
eventually went back to 103 style foams on the outdoor asphalt track which instantly gave me the steering i was after as did others in 103 or 104 style.
I really dont think this f1 was any better than any others at the track with 103, 104, 3racing 109 and 113, plus other variations sprinkled thru the field and all running close times to each other.
Really the difference was tyre choice and driver ability with me firmly in the middle of the b final due to me and my inconsistency in driving and no blame on the car.
might try the direct steering at some point as easy to convert but i do feel and always have that the current f1s and the past are all very similar in lap times and really its a solid rear axle with a crude front end so how many variations can you really make.

SERPENT F110/TEAMPOWERS 21.5.

LOSI 22 2.0/TEAM POWERS 8.5
malcnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 01:38 AM   #348
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta04evah View Post
The only thing that keeps it ahead of another F1 car I used to own, is the fact that it doesn't break every time you crash, the durability of this car is a surprising positive.
My F103 does not break every time I crash.

Quote:
The only reason I'm persisting with this car is that I'm stuck with it for now until I can save up for something better.
An F103.

Does not matter what F1 you race, you're always at the front of the pack. Beth and yourself are currently the Hamilton and Rosberg of F1 in Sydney and maybe even NSW. You can fight it out with Beth over who gets to wear the diamond stud earrings. The rest of us are used to racing for the minor placings.
oldnwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 02:00 AM   #349
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldnwise View Post
You can fight it out with Beth over who gets to wear the diamond stud earrings.
I only ever have diamond hoops in my ears
Old 02-18-2015, 03:21 AM   #350
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldnwise View Post
My F103 does not break every time I crash.

An F103.

Does not matter what F1 you race, you're always at the front of the pack. Beth and yourself are currently the Hamilton and Rosberg of F1 in Sydney and maybe even NSW. You can fight it out with Beth over who gets to wear the diamond stud earrings. The rest of us are used to racing for the minor placings.
Actually I was referring to another F1 car I used to own, one that I'm not allowed to mention.

[Rant mode deactivated]

Last edited by ta04evah; 02-18-2015 at 05:48 AM. Reason: [/rant]
ta04evah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 07:09 AM   #351
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

After changing over the servo saver to a stronger one, initial testing was showing promising results with the car feeling more direct and more planted from entry to exit in the corners.

However, that didn't last very long. For some unknown reason, that myself, Beth, and others could not work out why, the car went from promising to abysmally bad in a very short period of time. Every lap just saw the car's handling degenerate so badly that a Tamiya Mini would have handled better than this car towards the end of the race meet.

Under acceleration the car would skip & bounce at the front & rear for no reason at all, a number of my friends had a look at the car but could not find the reason why the car was handling so poorly both in corners and in a straight line - that's IF it could be held in a straight line.

Tonight was the last straw, this car has been a complete and utter disaster from day 1, and I have reached the end of my patience and am going to abandon this un drivable POS. I have never owned a RC car such as this one that has been so badly built and is as consistent as a wet piece of spaghetti.
But I guess that's what I get for buying a cheap car, which after all the required upgrades wasn't as cheap as I thought.

To those that have had great success with this car, I'm truly happy for you, but for me it has been a constant source of grief & frustration that has almost brought me to my knee's both financially & emotionally.
I tried giving Beth this car for free tonight, but she wisely turned it down, and in the same situation I would too.

So for the future, do I consign it to the Ebay gods, or do I keep my conscience clear and just put it where it belongs, into the nearest landfill as many miles away from me as I can.

Adios!
Old 02-20-2015, 08:30 AM   #352
Dan
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

Goodbye!!
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 08:43 AM   #353
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Quote:
After changing over the servo saver to a stronger one, initial testing was showing promising results with the car feeling more direct and more planted from entry to exit in the corners.

However, that didn't last very long. For some unknown reason, that myself, Beth, and others could not work out why, the car went from promising to abysmally bad in a very short period of time. Every lap just saw the car's handling degenerate so badly that a Tamiya Mini would have handled better than this car towards the end of the race meet.

Under acceleration the car would skip & bounce at the front & rear for no reason at all, a number of my friends had a look at the car but could not find the reason why the car was handling so poorly both in corners and in a straight line - that's IF it could be held in a straight line.

Tonight was the last straw, this car has been a complete and utter disaster from day 1, and I have reached the end of my patience and am going to abandon this un drivable POS. I have never owned a RC car such as this one that has been so badly built and is as consistent as a wet piece of spaghetti.
But I guess that's what I get for buying a cheap car, which after all the required upgrades wasn't as cheap as I thought.

To those that have had great success with this car, I'm truly happy for you, but for me it has been a constant source of grief & frustration that has almost brought me to my knee's both financially & emotionally.
I tried giving Beth this car for free tonight, but she wisely turned it down, and in the same situation I would too.

So for the future, do I consign it to the Ebay gods, or do I keep my conscience clear and just put it where it belongs, into the nearest landfill as many miles away from me as I can.

Adios!
Go with an f104wgp, they are still available at banzai for under $200. The build quality & durability is very and the car seems to always work well. If your club doesn't allow 200mm cars the narrow 104 front end fits and is only $25.
mtveten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 05:46 PM   #354
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Would appreciate some guidance. Bought a new Street Jam and I've had trouble getting the chassis at the rear to sit flat with the rear pod. It's like it tweaked but the pod and chassis are both flat and square.

From the pictures below it sits level on the left had side but on the right it sits about 2mm lower. I don't want to have the have one shock adjusted to compensate this.
Shocks have been rebuilt and are the same length and around 57mm. They are the version 2 shock.

Any thoughts. It's got me stumped.
Attached Thumbnails
Street Jam SJF01 Formula 1. Niiiiiiiiice!-photo-1.jpg   Street Jam SJF01 Formula 1. Niiiiiiiiice!-photo-2.jpg  
Team ARGO RC - Like us on Facebook
aussierevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 06:08 PM   #355
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussierevo View Post
Would appreciate some guidance. Bought a new Street Jam and I've had trouble getting the chassis at the rear to sit flat with the rear pod. It's like it tweaked but the pod and chassis are both flat and square.

From the pictures below it sits level on the left had side but on the right it sits about 2mm lower. I don't want to have the have one shock adjusted to compensate this.
Shocks have been rebuilt and are the same length and around 57mm. They are the version 2 shock.

Have a look at the front suspension and make sure all your left and right settings are even. If you take the front tyres off and put some droop blocks under the front arms, is it still out ? Check obvious stiff like front spring preload is even etc.

sorry just thought of other things, also check and make sure the ride height spacers are same on both sides.

If you lift the car from the front and back from the centerline does it go flat ??
Old 02-22-2015, 06:18 PM   #356
Tech Fanatic

thanks for the information. I have checked the spacers and I'll take a look at the front end as well.

When I had a trf101 i used to tip it upside down and hold at the front to check the pod and chassis are square. When I do that with this it sit's where it should and looks good.

I'll keep trying and fiddling with things.

thanks again
Old 02-22-2015, 06:51 PM   #357
Tech Master

Quote:
When I had a trf101 i used to tip it upside down and hold at the front to check the pod and chassis are square. When I do that with this it sit's where it should and looks good.
Yep I do this as well when I am too lazy to setup the tweak station, which is a good sign the rear suspension is most probably not the issue.

Also good check with new tyres to rule out any tyre wear causing the tweaking.
Old 02-22-2015, 07:41 PM   #358
Tech Regular

Quote:

Did you try to invert the shocks to see if they are (or not) reponsable of the problem ?
Old 02-22-2015, 08:09 PM   #359
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

the first picture makes it look like your axle inserts dont match. assuming the pod is straight and the tires are the same size the axle and bottom plate should be parallel to the ground.
mtveten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 11:28 PM   #360
Tech Fanatic

well I think I've found the problem but not sure how to fix.

Why would I have almost 1 degree rear camber on right rear?. Bend standard axle maybe or hub carrier. The car has never been run so just bad luck? Spacers are the same both side, using the 2.0 axle holders.

I've ordered a carbon one anyway and hope that solves the issue, but by the process of elimination and and entire rebuild that's the only thing I can point to that isn't quite right.