R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-14-2015, 06:36 PM   #301
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtveten View Post
I would start by checking the rear link balls. I've found on higher grip conditions they seem to work loose often and when they do the car becomes inconsistent at best. Even when thread locked I cant keep them solid for the entire day.
I had this happen to me in the first race, after Beth worked on my car to try and make it behave. Beth was able to improve the car's front end handling after doing some changes with the front springs, king pins, and steering servo angle.

However, this wasn't enough to lift my opinion of this car, especially when one of those rear link balls, and a screw holding the carbon graphite plate on top of the motor mount that had been thread locked, managed to come loose halfway through the race, which made the car a handful to drive.

After re tightening the screws, and checking all the other ball link screws, I took the car out for the 2nd race of the night. I had put a set of soft fronts on the car to try and counter the mid corner understeer, but even with the softs on, and the steering at full lock, the understeer persisted, along with with the corner exit oversteer.
Our friend with the F104 was battling with me for 2nd place, and with about 1 minute to go the car lost all drive to the rear axle. I assumed that a pinion gear had came loose, but no, the grub screw (which was also thread locked) that holds the diff assembly on to the axle had worked loose, which allowed the diff assembly to freely spin on the axle.

In the 3rd & final race of the night, saw my friend with the F104, battle for 2nd place for all but the entire race, with him in front of me, covering the turns well, so as not to leave a opening for me to try and pass. On the 2nd last lap my friend and i were quickly coming up to a back marker, which my friend passed ok, but I clipped the back marker, collecting a piece of his body shell in my front suspension which caused my car to veer off the track, until a marshal managed to pull it out and get me going again, which saw me ending up in 4th place.
I know that the back marker was just in the wrong place at the wrong time, but it was the thing that made me feel even more bad, because I was worried about damaging his body shell. All night the F1 racing for me was a bad night, and I was glad my touring car racing was a little more positive on the night.

So my thoughts about this car?
I feel that my experience with this car has been a train wreck, right from the very start of building it, and up to this point in time. This car isn't the car I was expecting it to be, it isn't a car that I believed to be an improvement over my old car.
I'm glad Beth, and others here have had great success with this car, but I have come to a point in time where I no longer want to ride this train of disaster.
If it wasn't for Beth, this car would have been buried in some landfill long before now, and I truly do appreciate Beth's, and every one here suggestions & help, but I'm so very close to just cutting my losses and looking for greener pastures elsewhere.

Rob.
Old 02-14-2015, 08:12 PM   #302
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Rob,

If I wasn't a world away and didn't already have more cars than I can drive, I would offer to buy it from you. Sorry about your bad experience.

USVTA member #111
NutDriver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 10:49 PM   #303
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by OscarF1 View Post
I like the Streetjam a lot.
From the first laps there is a lot of good front/rear balance in the car,
and now I start to improve the setup.

The standard springs are too stiff,
so I ordered softer ones front and rear (use them next sunday race)

To get even better rear grip I designed a new upper deck:

Now I can experiment with te place where the links to the rear pod
are placed.

That's is NICE! And easier on the eyes too...doesn't look like its ready to poke your fingers like the original design!
Manny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 11:39 PM   #304
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I probably should also explain what I did to Rob's car that I had already done to mine and that was to install polished front kingpins.
When you use the alloy lower pivot balls, the roughness on the kingpins as they come from the factors isn't good enough and you can really feel them bind up under load. The front ends is now much smoother and consistent.

Made a huge difference to Robs car.

I think I know why Rob's was so unlucky on Friday , (apart from his car being cursed) is that was Friday the 13th
Old 02-15-2015, 12:00 AM   #305
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta04evah View Post
.................................................. saw my friend with the F104, battle for 2nd place for all but the entire race,............................................. ........

Rob.
Why complain?
Those are the best race day for me.
Winning without a struggle is so boring!!
OscarF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 07:30 AM   #306
Tech Adept

Speed Passion Carbon Reinforced Front arm set for LM-1 LeMans #SP001099

Does this fit the StreetJam?
OscarF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 08:08 AM   #307
Tech Apprentice

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Red face

Quote:
I had this happen to me in the first race, after Beth worked on my car to try and make it behave. Beth was able to improve the car's front end handling after doing some changes with the front springs, king pins, and steering servo angle.

However, this wasn't enough to lift my opinion of this car, especially when one of those rear link balls, and a screw holding the carbon graphite plate on top of the motor mount that had been thread locked, managed to come loose halfway through the race, which made the car a handful to drive.

After re tightening the screws, and checking all the other ball link screws, I took the car out for the 2nd race of the night. I had put a set of soft fronts on the car to try and counter the mid corner understeer, but even with the softs on, and the steering at full lock, the understeer persisted, along with with the corner exit oversteer.
Our friend with the F104 was battling with me for 2nd place, and with about 1 minute to go the car lost all drive to the rear axle. I assumed that a pinion gear had came loose, but no, the grub screw (which was also thread locked) that holds the diff assembly on to the axle had worked loose, which allowed the diff assembly to freely spin on the axle.

In the 3rd & final race of the night, saw my friend with the F104, battle for 2nd place for all but the entire race, with him in front of me, covering the turns well, so as not to leave a opening for me to try and pass. On the 2nd last lap my friend and i were quickly coming up to a back marker, which my friend passed ok, but I clipped the back marker, collecting a piece of his body shell in my front suspension which caused my car to veer off the track, until a marshal managed to pull it out and get me going again, which saw me ending up in 4th place.
I know that the back marker was just in the wrong place at the wrong time, but it was the thing that made me feel even more bad, because I was worried about damaging his body shell. All night the F1 racing for me was a bad night, and I was glad my touring car racing was a little more positive on the night.

I feel that my experience with this car has been a train wreck, right from the very start of building it, and up to this point in time. This car isn't the car I was expecting it to be, it isn't a car that I believed to be an improvement over my old car.
I'm glad Beth, and others here have had great success with this car, but I have come to a point in time where I no longer want to ride this train of disaster.
If it wasn't for Beth, this car would have been buried in some landfill long before now, and I truly do appreciate Beth's, and every one here suggestions & help, but I'm so very close to just cutting my losses and looking for greener pastures elsewhere.

Rob.
I have almost the same problem with my car I refer to it as double steering.my car would enter the corner good then pushes outside, and when looses a fair amount of speed finally it finish the corner.if you try to hit the throttle mid corner out it will oversteer to the pipes. The same thing happened with a tamiya 104 front end (and my 3racing f113 with 104 front end). Next race one of my friends suggested to change the tamiya servo saver for the xray xhard one and man right there on the track went from 4th in the first main to 2nd in the 2nd main (too much steering) reduced dual rate from 100 to 70 and wham first in the last main same 34 laps as the fastest car of the day. Hot lap not on pair with my best on ex car by .35.
Exotek F1R3
CFRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 12:35 PM   #308
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:

Rob.
Hi Rob,

Which shocks did you run on the car?
Fred
Fredp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 01:45 PM   #309
Tech Master

I left the type 2shocks on Robs car,

Its interesting how big a difference a servo saver does make, especially the length.
When I was fixing robs car I set the servo to where I had mine, but rob was running a different servo saver (kimbrough) and was much shorter then the Tamiya one I was using, so gave very different steering angles.

From reading what Mike at Exotek has said we need a slightly longer one again and that's why they developed this part to get better steering angles, basically eliminating the mid and exit corner push.

http://www.exotekracing.com/f1-servo...y-servo-saver/
Old 02-15-2015, 06:07 PM   #310
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by evochick View Post
I left the type 2shocks on Robs car,

Its interesting how big a difference a servo saver does make, especially the length.
Should I get a Tamiya servo saver and try that? I'm at the point of clutching at straws and it can't make it any worse hopefully???
Old 02-15-2015, 06:08 PM   #311
Tech Regular

Its interesting to see how much difference a servo saver can make to the car, but it does make sense.
Rob if you need to try a different saver, I can bring one up on Friday night if you are still game.
Old 02-15-2015, 06:23 PM   #312
Tech Master

I just found Tamiya have a longer horn for the mini which would be a perfect length for the F1's, as it will extend a similar length to the Exotek extender.

I can see me ordering one.
Old 02-15-2015, 06:27 PM   #313
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredp1 View Post
Its interesting to see how much difference a servo saver can make to the car, but it does make sense.
Rob if you need to try a different saver, I can bring one up on Friday night if you are still game.
Thanks Fred, I'll try your different one out and see if it makes a difference, what brand of servo saver is it?
Old 02-15-2015, 06:42 PM   #314
Tech Regular

I have a couple of Tamiya's, Kimbrough and a NIP Xstiff Xray.
Old 02-16-2015, 01:24 AM   #315
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by evochick View Post
I probably should also explain what I did to Rob's car that I had already done to mine and that was to install polished front kingpins.
When you use the alloy lower pivot balls, the roughness on the kingpins as they come from the factors isn't good enough and you can really feel them bind up under load. The front ends is now much smoother and consistent.

Made a huge difference to Robs car.

I think I know why Rob's was so unlucky on Friday , (apart from his car being cursed) is that was Friday the 13th
These kingpins are the same titanium "gold" ones that came in the kit? The same ones you questioned in post #244?
xevias is offline   Reply With Quote