R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-14-2015, 06:36 PM   #301
Tech Elite
 
ta04evah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 2,612
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtveten View Post
I would start by checking the rear link balls. I've found on higher grip conditions they seem to work loose often and when they do the car becomes inconsistent at best. Even when thread locked I cant keep them solid for the entire day.
I had this happen to me in the first race, after Beth worked on my car to try and make it behave. Beth was able to improve the car's front end handling after doing some changes with the front springs, king pins, and steering servo angle.

However, this wasn't enough to lift my opinion of this car, especially when one of those rear link balls, and a screw holding the carbon graphite plate on top of the motor mount that had been thread locked, managed to come loose halfway through the race, which made the car a handful to drive.

After re tightening the screws, and checking all the other ball link screws, I took the car out for the 2nd race of the night. I had put a set of soft fronts on the car to try and counter the mid corner understeer, but even with the softs on, and the steering at full lock, the understeer persisted, along with with the corner exit oversteer.
Our friend with the F104 was battling with me for 2nd place, and with about 1 minute to go the car lost all drive to the rear axle. I assumed that a pinion gear had came loose, but no, the grub screw (which was also thread locked) that holds the diff assembly on to the axle had worked loose, which allowed the diff assembly to freely spin on the axle.

In the 3rd & final race of the night, saw my friend with the F104, battle for 2nd place for all but the entire race, with him in front of me, covering the turns well, so as not to leave a opening for me to try and pass. On the 2nd last lap my friend and i were quickly coming up to a back marker, which my friend passed ok, but I clipped the back marker, collecting a piece of his body shell in my front suspension which caused my car to veer off the track, until a marshal managed to pull it out and get me going again, which saw me ending up in 4th place.
I know that the back marker was just in the wrong place at the wrong time, but it was the thing that made me feel even more bad, because I was worried about damaging his body shell. All night the F1 racing for me was a bad night, and I was glad my touring car racing was a little more positive on the night.

So my thoughts about this car?
I feel that my experience with this car has been a train wreck, right from the very start of building it, and up to this point in time. This car isn't the car I was expecting it to be, it isn't a car that I believed to be an improvement over my old car.
I'm glad Beth, and others here have had great success with this car, but I have come to a point in time where I no longer want to ride this train of disaster.
If it wasn't for Beth, this car would have been buried in some landfill long before now, and I truly do appreciate Beth's, and every one here suggestions & help, but I'm so very close to just cutting my losses and looking for greener pastures elsewhere.

Rob.
__________________
Castle Hill RC On Road Facebook https://www.facebook.com/groups/121817254587521/
FatBear RC Videos https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjiAhwa-rk5Vas2rv5IBD4A
ta04evah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 08:12 PM   #302
Tech Elite
 
NutDriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 2,087
Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default

Rob,

If I wasn't a world away and didn't already have more cars than I can drive, I would offer to buy it from you. Sorry about your bad experience.
__________________
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

USVTA member #111
NutDriver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 10:49 PM   #303
Tech Regular
 
Manny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Posts: 368
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OscarF1 View Post
I like the Streetjam a lot.
From the first laps there is a lot of good front/rear balance in the car,
and now I start to improve the setup.

The standard springs are too stiff,
so I ordered softer ones front and rear (use them next sunday race)

To get even better rear grip I designed a new upper deck:




Now I can experiment with te place where the links to the rear pod
are placed.

That's is NICE! And easier on the eyes too...doesn't look like its ready to poke your fingers like the original design!
Manny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 11:39 PM   #304
Tech Master
 
evochick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Sydney AU
Posts: 1,536
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

I probably should also explain what I did to Rob's car that I had already done to mine and that was to install polished front kingpins.
When you use the alloy lower pivot balls, the roughness on the kingpins as they come from the factors isn't good enough and you can really feel them bind up under load. The front ends is now much smoother and consistent.

Made a huge difference to Robs car.

I think I know why Rob's was so unlucky on Friday , (apart from his car being cursed) is that was Friday the 13th
__________________
UnRetired
evochick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 12:00 AM   #305
Tech Adept
 
OscarF1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 103
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta04evah View Post
.................................................. saw my friend with the F104, battle for 2nd place for all but the entire race,............................................. ........

Rob.
Why complain?
Those are the best race day for me.
Winning without a struggle is so boring!!
OscarF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 07:30 AM   #306
Tech Adept
 
OscarF1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 103
Default



Speed Passion Carbon Reinforced Front arm set for LM-1 LeMans #SP001099

Does this fit the StreetJam?
OscarF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 08:08 AM   #307
Tech Apprentice
 
CFRacing's Avatar
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Puerto Rico
Posts: 76
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta04evah View Post
I had this happen to me in the first race, after Beth worked on my car to try and make it behave. Beth was able to improve the car's front end handling after doing some changes with the front springs, king pins, and steering servo angle.

However, this wasn't enough to lift my opinion of this car, especially when one of those rear link balls, and a screw holding the carbon graphite plate on top of the motor mount that had been thread locked, managed to come loose halfway through the race, which made the car a handful to drive.

After re tightening the screws, and checking all the other ball link screws, I took the car out for the 2nd race of the night. I had put a set of soft fronts on the car to try and counter the mid corner understeer, but even with the softs on, and the steering at full lock, the understeer persisted, along with with the corner exit oversteer.
Our friend with the F104 was battling with me for 2nd place, and with about 1 minute to go the car lost all drive to the rear axle. I assumed that a pinion gear had came loose, but no, the grub screw (which was also thread locked) that holds the diff assembly on to the axle had worked loose, which allowed the diff assembly to freely spin on the axle.

In the 3rd & final race of the night, saw my friend with the F104, battle for 2nd place for all but the entire race, with him in front of me, covering the turns well, so as not to leave a opening for me to try and pass. On the 2nd last lap my friend and i were quickly coming up to a back marker, which my friend passed ok, but I clipped the back marker, collecting a piece of his body shell in my front suspension which caused my car to veer off the track, until a marshal managed to pull it out and get me going again, which saw me ending up in 4th place.
I know that the back marker was just in the wrong place at the wrong time, but it was the thing that made me feel even more bad, because I was worried about damaging his body shell. All night the F1 racing for me was a bad night, and I was glad my touring car racing was a little more positive on the night.

So my thoughts about this car?
I feel that my experience with this car has been a train wreck, right from the very start of building it, and up to this point in time. This car isn't the car I was expecting it to be, it isn't a car that I believed to be an improvement over my old car.
I'm glad Beth, and others here have had great success with this car, but I have come to a point in time where I no longer want to ride this train of disaster.
If it wasn't for Beth, this car would have been buried in some landfill long before now, and I truly do appreciate Beth's, and every one here suggestions & help, but I'm so very close to just cutting my losses and looking for greener pastures elsewhere.

Rob.
I have almost the same problem with my car I refer to it as double steering.my car would enter the corner good then pushes outside, and when looses a fair amount of speed finally it finish the corner.if you try to hit the throttle mid corner out it will oversteer to the pipes. The same thing happened with a tamiya 104 front end (and my 3racing f113 with 104 front end). Next race one of my friends suggested to change the tamiya servo saver for the xray xhard one and man right there on the track went from 4th in the first main to 2nd in the 2nd main (too much steering) reduced dual rate from 100 to 70 and wham first in the last main same 34 laps as the fastest car of the day. Hot lap not on pair with my best on ex car by .35.
__________________
kyosho tki 4
Kyosho M3 evo
SpecR R1
Exotek F1R3
CFRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 12:35 PM   #308
Tech Regular
 
Fredp1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 340
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta04evah View Post
I had this happen to me in the first race, after Beth worked on my car to try and make it behave. Beth was able to improve the car's front end handling after doing some changes with the front springs, king pins, and steering servo angle.

However, this wasn't enough to lift my opinion of this car, especially when one of those rear link balls, and a screw holding the carbon graphite plate on top of the motor mount that had been thread locked, managed to come loose halfway through the race, which made the car a handful to drive.

After re tightening the screws, and checking all the other ball link screws, I took the car out for the 2nd race of the night. I had put a set of soft fronts on the car to try and counter the mid corner understeer, but even with the softs on, and the steering at full lock, the understeer persisted, along with with the corner exit oversteer.
Our friend with the F104 was battling with me for 2nd place, and with about 1 minute to go the car lost all drive to the rear axle. I assumed that a pinion gear had came loose, but no, the grub screw (which was also thread locked) that holds the diff assembly on to the axle had worked loose, which allowed the diff assembly to freely spin on the axle.

In the 3rd & final race of the night, saw my friend with the F104, battle for 2nd place for all but the entire race, with him in front of me, covering the turns well, so as not to leave a opening for me to try and pass. On the 2nd last lap my friend and i were quickly coming up to a back marker, which my friend passed ok, but I clipped the back marker, collecting a piece of his body shell in my front suspension which caused my car to veer off the track, until a marshal managed to pull it out and get me going again, which saw me ending up in 4th place.
I know that the back marker was just in the wrong place at the wrong time, but it was the thing that made me feel even more bad, because I was worried about damaging his body shell. All night the F1 racing for me was a bad night, and I was glad my touring car racing was a little more positive on the night.

So my thoughts about this car?
I feel that my experience with this car has been a train wreck, right from the very start of building it, and up to this point in time. This car isn't the car I was expecting it to be, it isn't a car that I believed to be an improvement over my old car.
I'm glad Beth, and others here have had great success with this car, but I have come to a point in time where I no longer want to ride this train of disaster.
If it wasn't for Beth, this car would have been buried in some landfill long before now, and I truly do appreciate Beth's, and every one here suggestions & help, but I'm so very close to just cutting my losses and looking for greener pastures elsewhere.

Rob.
Hi Rob,

Which shocks did you run on the car?
Fred
__________________
Dean(14 years old)- Awesomatix A800X, Fantom FR-1 5.0 Motor, Fantom batteries, KO Propo
Dean(14 years old)- Roche P12-2017, Fantom FR-1 4.5 Motor, Fantom batteries, Team Powers Radon Pro 1s
Evan(8 years old)- VBC Wildfire D06 Dynamics, Hobbywing Extreme Stock, XERUN V10 21.5, Fantom batteries, KO Propo
Fredp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 01:45 PM   #309
Tech Master
 
evochick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Sydney AU
Posts: 1,536
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

I left the type 2shocks on Robs car,

Its interesting how big a difference a servo saver does make, especially the length.
When I was fixing robs car I set the servo to where I had mine, but rob was running a different servo saver (kimbrough) and was much shorter then the Tamiya one I was using, so gave very different steering angles.

From reading what Mike at Exotek has said we need a slightly longer one again and that's why they developed this part to get better steering angles, basically eliminating the mid and exit corner push.

http://www.exotekracing.com/f1-servo...y-servo-saver/
__________________
UnRetired
evochick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 06:07 PM   #310
Tech Elite
 
ta04evah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 2,612
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by evochick View Post
I left the type 2shocks on Robs car,

Its interesting how big a difference a servo saver does make, especially the length.
Should I get a Tamiya servo saver and try that? I'm at the point of clutching at straws and it can't make it any worse hopefully???
__________________
Castle Hill RC On Road Facebook https://www.facebook.com/groups/121817254587521/
FatBear RC Videos https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjiAhwa-rk5Vas2rv5IBD4A
ta04evah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 06:08 PM   #311
Tech Regular
 
Fredp1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 340
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Its interesting to see how much difference a servo saver can make to the car, but it does make sense.
Rob if you need to try a different saver, I can bring one up on Friday night if you are still game.
__________________
Dean(14 years old)- Awesomatix A800X, Fantom FR-1 5.0 Motor, Fantom batteries, KO Propo
Dean(14 years old)- Roche P12-2017, Fantom FR-1 4.5 Motor, Fantom batteries, Team Powers Radon Pro 1s
Evan(8 years old)- VBC Wildfire D06 Dynamics, Hobbywing Extreme Stock, XERUN V10 21.5, Fantom batteries, KO Propo
Fredp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 06:23 PM   #312
Tech Master
 
evochick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Sydney AU
Posts: 1,536
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

I just found Tamiya have a longer horn for the mini which would be a perfect length for the F1's, as it will extend a similar length to the Exotek extender.



I can see me ordering one.
__________________
UnRetired
evochick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 06:27 PM   #313
Tech Elite
 
ta04evah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 2,612
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredp1 View Post
Its interesting to see how much difference a servo saver can make to the car, but it does make sense.
Rob if you need to try a different saver, I can bring one up on Friday night if you are still game.
Thanks Fred, I'll try your different one out and see if it makes a difference, what brand of servo saver is it?
__________________
Castle Hill RC On Road Facebook https://www.facebook.com/groups/121817254587521/
FatBear RC Videos https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjiAhwa-rk5Vas2rv5IBD4A
ta04evah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 06:42 PM   #314
Tech Regular
 
Fredp1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 340
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

I have a couple of Tamiya's, Kimbrough and a NIP Xstiff Xray.
__________________
Dean(14 years old)- Awesomatix A800X, Fantom FR-1 5.0 Motor, Fantom batteries, KO Propo
Dean(14 years old)- Roche P12-2017, Fantom FR-1 4.5 Motor, Fantom batteries, Team Powers Radon Pro 1s
Evan(8 years old)- VBC Wildfire D06 Dynamics, Hobbywing Extreme Stock, XERUN V10 21.5, Fantom batteries, KO Propo
Fredp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 01:24 AM   #315
Tech Regular
 
xevias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Shanghai, PRC
Posts: 340
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by evochick View Post
I probably should also explain what I did to Rob's car that I had already done to mine and that was to install polished front kingpins.
When you use the alloy lower pivot balls, the roughness on the kingpins as they come from the factors isn't good enough and you can really feel them bind up under load. The front ends is now much smoother and consistent.

Made a huge difference to Robs car.

I think I know why Rob's was so unlucky on Friday , (apart from his car being cursed) is that was Friday the 13th
These kingpins are the same titanium "gold" ones that came in the kit? The same ones you questioned in post #244?
xevias is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 10:45 AM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net