R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 02-02-2015, 09:44 AM   #286
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

I really like the Ae 016 front spring on asphalt

also, you know you have to move the laydown servo depending on your caster setting, right?
Old 02-02-2015, 09:45 AM   #287
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Rob,

At that temp you are below the temperature range of the medium fronts, sifts should be much better.

Raise ballstud towards horn, lower absurd towards chassis.

Regarding Ackerman my servo horn just shy of 2mm clear of the upper arms. I'm guessing my servo is 2-3mm further forward than hara's but without knowing the servo horn lenghth there is no reality comparison.

Out here we have gotten or f1s about 1/3 the way between 17.5 & 21.5 sedans outdoors. On some of our carpet tracks the 17.5 cars are only a few tenths up on f1.
mtveten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 09:46 AM   #288
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFRacing View Post
would this mods work on a foam tire equipped car on carpet? MY CAR PUSHED REAL BAD. any help would be great.
If the push is that bad I would start with tires.
Old 02-02-2015, 05:31 PM   #289
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtveten View Post
If the push is that bad I would start with tires.
Already tried soft front and harder rear,will try xray xhard servo saver I'm using the tamiya one.
Exotek F1R3
CFRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 01:56 AM   #290
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtveten View Post
Rob,

At that temp you are below the temperature range of the medium fronts, sifts should be much better.

Raise ballstud towards horn, lower absurd towards chassis.

Regarding Ackerman my servo horn just shy of 2mm clear of the upper arms. I'm guessing my servo is 2-3mm further forward than hara's but without knowing the servo horn lenghth there is no reality comparison.

Out here we have gotten or f1s about 1/3 the way between 17.5 & 21.5 sedans outdoors. On some of our carpet tracks the 17.5 cars are only a few tenths up on f1.
Yep, don't have a set of F104 size soft fronts yet, but working on getting some soon.
In the middle of an Aussie summer you'd expect the temps to be hotter than what we had last week
Just to think, there are no hobby shops in the greater Sydney area of this country that sells F104 Pit Shimzu's, except for one retailer that is selling a Yokomo re-branded version...
The only way we can get F104 Shimizu tires is to order them from online stores in different countries.
If I am wrong about this, please tell me, and point me towards a retailer here in Sydney that stocks & sells the F104 Shimizu range of rubber tires at a reasonable price.

I ordered my Mk2 shocks on the 31st Of Jan from rc-art.net, and received them today 3rd of Feb, that's bloody good service & postage time from Japan to Australia.

So, the Mk2 shocks, is there anything I should know before building them? Any hints, tips, or advice to build them, so they don't leak as badly as my Mk1 shocks?

Rob.
Old 02-03-2015, 03:08 AM   #291
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I thought Dennis at powerhouse might have had some 104 Pit tyres in stock ??
If not hold off Rob as I need to order some more medium fronts soon anyway.
I have a couple of new sets of soft fronts mounted up for us to try for this week.
With the shocks, I just used green slime as always on the o rings, and built with 0 rebound. The type 2 shocks have lots more spring collar adjustment so make sure you set them to where your chassis was level with the rear pod. (which was the all the way up setting with the type 1 shocks)

Beth.

2017 ACT Rally champion :)
evochick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 09:40 AM   #292
Tech Elite

Mk2 shocks:

Make sure you buy the machined piston/insert set as well. Once you add this these shocks are amazing and super easy to build
Old 02-03-2015, 08:01 PM   #293
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by evochick View Post
I thought Dennis at powerhouse might have had some 104 Pit tyres in stock ??
If not hold off Rob as I need to order some more medium fronts soon anyway.
I have a couple of new sets of soft fronts mounted up for us to try for this week.
With the shocks, I just used green slime as always on the o rings, and built with 0 rebound. The type 2 shocks have lots more spring collar adjustment so make sure you set them to where your chassis was level with the rear pod. (which was the all the way up setting with the type 1 shocks)

Beth.
Ah, I forgot about powerhouse, getting there can be a pia though.
I might just hold off and wait until you order yours, and add some tires to your order, if that's ok?

I don't have green slime, but I do have a type of grease that I use when building gear diffs, and it's very effective at stopping leaks. Along with the shocks, I also have the machined pistons & spacers, and I did note on the new shocks that there was more collar adjustment space.

Rob.
Old 02-05-2015, 12:09 AM   #294
Tech Elite

Well after much swearing, cursing, some more swearing, I have finally got the Mk2 shocks on the car, and moved my servo forward to give better steering angles.

Hopefully this will be an improvement to the car, and yes, I managed to shoe horn an older AMB transponder under the caster bridge.

Rob.
Old 02-06-2015, 03:03 PM   #295
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Well one of us had a good night last night and the other one doesn't want to see or use his car again..

My car was hugely improved with the soft fronts last night, it removed most of the high speed mid corner push and low speed mid to exit push, it was a pleasure to drive, I think I had my overall consistency down to 0.16 for the last qualifier and TQ by a margin.

Rob's car well, not good, his was a handful all night and would go from oversteer to understeer on the space of 2 feet. he still finished 2nd but it was a very distant second

Ill be driving and dialling his StreetJam next week to see where the issue lies, it has to be something simple, ill find it

Beth.

2017 ACT Rally champion :)
evochick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 03:17 PM   #296
Tech Master

Quote:
Well one of us had a good night last night and the other one doesn't want to see or use his car again..

My car was hugely improved with the soft fronts last night, it removed most of the high speed mid corner push and low speed mid to exit push, it was a pleasure to drive, I think I had my overall consistency down to 0.16 for the last qualifier and TQ by a margin.

Rob's car well, not good, his was a handful all night and would go from oversteer to understeer on the space of 2 feet. he still finished 2nd but it was a very distant second

Ill be driving and dialling his StreetJam next week to see where the issue lies, it has to be something simple, ill find it

Beth.
Good work Beth and hope you can get his driving..i mean car sorted for him.
what temp was the track when you run the softs as my nats next weekend so getting ready for it but only have the medium fronts so hoping it will be nice and hot for the mediums

also how many spacers are you using under the arms for ride height as mine has kit and obviously this is for 200mm foams.
cheers.

SERPENT F110/TEAMPOWERS 21.5.

LOSI 22 2.0/TEAM POWERS 8.5
malcnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 06:15 PM   #297
Tech Elite

Quote:

Beth.
I would start by checking the rear link balls. I've found on higher grip conditions they seem to work loose often and when they do the car becomes inconsistent at best. Even when thread locked I cant keep them solid for the entire day.
Old 02-06-2015, 07:21 PM   #298
Tech Elite

Quote:

Beth.
That is the understatement of the year so far.

I was hoping to come back to share a positive experience from the changes to the servo placement, and Mk2 shocks being used.
Sadly it was the complete opposite, the car last night was the worst F1 car I have ever owned, & driven. Last night it took all of my will power, and a friends voice to stop me throwing this car up against a wall.

From the moment when I first started building, and driving the car it has been a negative, no - nightmarish experience both financially & emotionally.
This car is making me doubt my skills in both setting up, and driving more than any other car I have owned, and another friend in our club is giving me his spare F1 car to drive, to try and help me regain some self confidence.

Beth, I'm glad that the car is working for you, but for me it is just going from bad to worse regardless of what I try, and has me constantly regretting selling my former F1 car to another club member, and wishing that I had bought something else.
I'm at that point of trying to decide either to persist with it, or sell it for what ever I can get for it.

Rob.
Old 02-13-2015, 08:36 AM   #299
Tech Adept

I like the Streetjam a lot.
From the first laps there is a lot of good front/rear balance in the car,
and now I start to improve the setup.

The standard springs are too stiff,
so I ordered softer ones front and rear (use them next sunday race)

To get even better rear grip I designed a new upper deck:

Now I can experiment with te place where the links to the rear pod
are placed.
OscarF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 09:19 AM   #300
Tech Master

Very Nice! Keep us posted.