R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 01-19-2015, 10:28 AM   #226
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutDriver View Post
My question about the Extoek front end might be better addressed on the F1R thread, but I'll ask it here. When the F113 came out, it was said to not be legal for UF1 races due to the shocks being outside the bodywork (as well as other factors). I've wondered how this front end is legal for UF1 when the F113 isn't.
i'm curious too...
1990s Futaba FXT stadium racer - Mint condition!
And a bunch of other RC kits for me and my kids...yeah...my kids...
Cadman1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 01:45 PM   #227
Tech Master

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadman1981 View Post
i'm curious too...

question answered in post #216.
Old 01-19-2015, 03:42 PM   #228
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcnz View Post
well done on first and second girls and guys.

Trying to set my back end up with the sp carbon axle as thats the only carbon one i have and got the qteq hub for lh side and to get the 190 set up with ride tyres as dont have yet do i need to space the diff side and if so how much? and do you need to have equal lengths axle each side of the centre point on the chassis as in some pics haras car looks like its wider on the diff side?..and confuses me..cheers

Think i got it sorted..ended up using a 104 carbon axle i had with the STJ hub as it spaces out the diff side a bit more as evo chick said it was a bit longer on the other side with the clamp hub and slid up perfectly to max insertion and just dremeled down the alloy spacer that comes with the kit to fit and looks to be about just over 190mm when i eventually get the ride tyres and the measurement both sides of the centre hole in chassis are identical....the stj hub on the inside felt really tight with serpent spur so just took out a sliver all around with scalpal and fitted perfectly then and all rolls nice and round.

evo chick:...how tight do you do up the nut on the clamping hub and do you use any loktight?

SERPENT F110/TEAMPOWERS 21.5.

LOSI 22 2.0/TEAM POWERS 8.5
malcnz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 04:40 PM   #229
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I think I worked out the spacer needs to be 5.75mm when using the Qteq hub and the Streetjam axle and diff assembly.

As for how tight, um I didn't tighten it up as tight as I could, as I didn't want to strip the thread but still it was still tight enough to hold the axle. No lock tight needed the taper on the nut will hold it in place.
Didn't have any issues after 3 days of solid running.
Old 01-19-2015, 05:27 PM   #230
Tech Master

cheers..just measured spacer and looks a rough 5.75 so thats good.

Old 01-19-2015, 05:32 PM   #231
Dan
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

I had a cut F104 carbon shaft on my SJ before (put the steel one back in). The F104 shaft only needs to be cut a little bit. The set-screw stops are almost in the same place so it works fine when clamping down the diff and other wheel hub.

Of course, there is always the option to run the SP-1 integrated carbon shaft.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 06:47 PM   #232
Tech Master

Final 2 is now up,
It was a more exciting Final, with a me making a mistake and having a half spin which allowed Rob to get by then me making a brave move to get back in the lead, then Rob hounded me for the rest of the race..

http://youtu.be/7OQ0claOoAM

Bladder shocks got delivered this morning so will be good to give them a test this Friday
Old 01-19-2015, 07:20 PM   #233
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
I had a cut F104 carbon shaft on my SJ before (put the steel one back in). The F104 shaft only needs to be cut a little bit. The set-screw stops are almost in the same place so it works fine when clamping down the diff and other wheel hub.

Of course, there is always the option to run the SP-1 integrated carbon shaft.
I didnt have to cut it at all with the clamping hub as it slid all the way on and was spot on for length.
I have the sp carbon one but the offset on the SJ was better on the diff side so ran with that and it rolled just as true if not a bit truer than the pinned carbon sp one so all good.

Old 01-19-2015, 07:22 PM   #234
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by evochick View Post
Final 2 is now up,
It was a more exciting Final, with a me making a mistake and having a half spin which allowed Rob to get by then me making a brave move to get back in the lead, then Rob hounded me for the rest of the race..

http://youtu.be/7OQ0claOoAM

Bladder shocks got delivered this morning so will be good to give them a test this Friday
After watching the video's I didn't realise just how quick our cars were. The traffic made me slow up a little, because of the incident in the previous race, so I didn't want to risk it, and end up on my roof or off the track.
That race was one of a couple of race's I enjoyed the most as the car was feeling good to drive, and I was getting more confident with it because that little thought of doubt that the Ride R1's letting go, that used to plague me with my previous cars was disappearing after every lap.

(They're still a terrible tire though)

Rob.
ta04evah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 07:37 PM   #235
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta04evah View Post
After watching the video's I didn't realise just how quick our cars were. The traffic made me slow up a little, because of the incident in the previous race, so I didn't want to risk it, and end up on my roof or off the track.
That race was one of a couple of race's I enjoyed the most as the car was feeling good to drive, and I was getting more confident with it because that little thought of doubt that the Ride R1's letting go, that used to plague me with my previous cars was disappearing after every lap.

(They're still a terrible tire though)

Rob.

Yeah you guys were flying and some good close racing which is what we race for.
Looking forward to running my probably for the first time next month at the Nats in Wellington and dont expect to do that well but as long as I have some close racing.
Did you guys run the Shimizu medium fronts and the ride rears as you suggested to me? as temps should be high.

Old 01-19-2015, 09:08 PM   #236
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta04evah View Post
After watching the video's I didn't realise just how quick our cars were.

Rob.
You should go back and have a look at the video from 2013 !! we were all very slow back then, and the rules haven't changed, we just understand it all a little better, and are much better drivers (I hope).

Looking at the times this year Rob If we entered our F1 in 21.5 TC we would have qualified 4th and 5th for the A.... I think with a little more development on a good grippy track we should be on par very soon. I don't think we have ever been that close to TC speed
Old 01-19-2015, 11:00 PM   #237
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I wish we had tracks like that around here. During the winter all we have are temporary carpet tracks in the summer we race in parking lots.
mtveten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 12:00 AM   #238
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by evochick View Post
You should go back and have a look at the video from 2013 !! we were all very slow back then, and the rules haven't changed, we just understand it all a little better, and are much better drivers (I hope).

Looking at the times this year Rob If we entered our F1 in 21.5 TC we would have qualified 4th and 5th for the A.... I think with a little more development on a good grippy track we should be on par very soon. I don't think we have ever been that close to TC speed
Wow, I went back and had a look at an older video, and you're right, the cars are much faster than we were with what we used to own.
The Serpent that I had last year was, and is still a very quick car in the hands of a good driver, I just had problems with the durability & settings consistency issues that it had, especially that aluminum axle that I was always bending.

At last years indoor ACT titles, Andy, Hiroshi, & myself were quicker than all of the 21.5 touring cars with our F1 cars, but that was on carpet and running foams.

As you said, with a bit more tweaking of the new cars, I believe they will be as quick as touring cars in the future. I think I'll be sticking with the Speed Passion front end for a while as it's probably one of the best "traditional" front suspensions atm, because the exotek one is just a little too costly for me at this point in time.

@malcnz, yes we were both using medium Shimizu tires on the front, and Ride R1 tires on the rear, the Rides were the pre glued ones for a F104.

Rob.
ta04evah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 01:36 AM   #239
Tech Master

cheers Rob...cool have just received the shimizus and will pick up the rides when i get to wgtn for the nats.

Old 01-20-2015, 01:57 AM   #240
Tech Master

Sorry I should also add, if you can get hold of a set Yokomo YF-36RS2 rears they are a good thing in the morning on a cooler track where the Rides wont work.

I lent Rob a new set to try in the morning while I was prepping my touring car and from all concerned were an improvement over the Shimizu 0575.

Just something else to have in your tyre box