Buying local vs. online (seattle area)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Buying local vs. online (seattle area)

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2005, 12:48 AM
Tech Adept

Just like any business, your LHS need to learn how to stay competitive and they'll keep their door open. A few years back, there was a nice indoor track called M&M in Southern California. Their rent was medium high and the owner wants 100% markup on all the parts. M&M wasn't price competitive against stores like Hobby People & Ultimate Hobbies, most racers are buying their stuff from the other stores and when their race entry drop, the track has to close permanently. Just glue, AA batteries and the small stuff isn't going to help them much and your extra $100 isn't going to help them in the long run anyway. If you feel bad, buy the kit online to save $100 and donate $50 for the track and you're still $50 ahead. Most hobby shops are terrible in setting prices and to make the situation worse, they have a hard time understanding the concept of price matching.
Old 06-25-2005, 01:09 AM
Tech Master

It is very important to support your local hobby shop in my humble opinion. After all who is there to help when you have issues with your car, or to provide you with a place to race?
Old 06-25-2005, 01:43 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Here is a concept that alot of people dont seem to understand,When a large hobby warehouse buys its parts they are buying in amounts that 99% of race track/hobby shops can not afford to do,With the volume that the large chain stores buy at comes huge price cuts.The local track/hobby shops have a hard time trying to match the prices,most of them come close,I have yet to see a small shop charge $100 more than the big stores charge for a kit.I do get people who tell me they can buy a bla..bla..bla part for $ 5.00 less on line than what the local shop sells them for..ever hear of shipping..
Old 06-25-2005, 02:09 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

since its your first car buy local,

once you get to know what you are after and have had some experience only then should you look overseas and buy only the chassis, hop ups and spares should be bought locally

just my 2 cents
Old 06-25-2005, 03:05 AM
Tech Fanatic

Just tell the owner that his markup is too high and other places sell for less and ask him to lower the price. Your giving the hobbyshop a chance to make the sale at the price you want. If he dosen't give you the price closer to what you want, then feel free to shop around. Small business owners can be bargained with, especially if you plan on being a local racer, let him know that, if he's a smart small business owner he'll take the consistant long term sales from you, instead of forcing you to shop somewhere else. He will have higher prices than mail order, but not much higher

Always subtly let your local hobby shop know your keeping an eye on his prices. And don't discuss the prices he gives you with other racers when you get good deals, likewise don't try to get him to lower prices in front of other customers.

At least give your local hobby shop a chance to make the sale though, even small business owners appreciate that, even a tough sale is still a sale.
Old 06-27-2005, 08:38 AM
Tech Elite

I want my lhs to stay open so I buy almost everything there. However I do buy 12th scale tires online, $23 for a pair compared to $15 is over the top imo.