Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road
? on what kind of tire truer to buy??????? >

? on what kind of tire truer to buy???????

? on what kind of tire truer to buy???????

Old 12-04-2001, 09:13 PM
Tech Regular

Default ? on what kind of tire truer to buy???????

i am looking to buya tire truer but i don't know who's product is better .i don't want to buy a p.o.s. if you know what i mean those tire truers are $$$ so i want to make the right choice.since my local hobby shop doesn't plan on getting one for it's customers. so piss on it i will buy one. thanks for your alls info and help!!!!!!!
Old 12-04-2001, 09:15 PM
Tech Regular

Default forgot to add..

it is for 1/12 scale and 1/10 scale foam tires...
Old 12-04-2001, 09:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I've owned several truers. My first was a Cobra trackside truer. Cheap, but not all that nice to use. More recently I've had the Ofna and Hudy automatic truers. The Hudy is definitely a bit nicer, but the Ofna gets the job done just as well. The arbors are interchangeable between the Hudy and Ofna.

If I were buying one now, I'd get the Ofna. I have an old old Hudy that is on its last legs. When it gives up I will definitely replace it with an Ofna.

Trips
Old 12-06-2001, 03:31 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Ditto on the Ofna!
Old 12-06-2001, 04:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Trips: What would cause your Hudy to be "on its last legs"??? What wears out, and how long did the truer last?
Old 12-06-2001, 07:42 AM
Tech Elite

Originally posted by Geppetto
Trips: What would cause your Hudy to be "on its last legs"??? What wears out, and how long did the truer last?
There are several planetary gear reduction units in the truer. They reduce the rpms of the motor that drives the cutter to a slow useful level. One of these gear reducers stripped out when the previous owner had the truer. He removed the stripped reducer and left the remaining ones in place. This made the feed for the cutter travel too quickly.

I've been unable to get a replacement gear reducer from Hudy, and I feel it's only a matter of time before the others go out. The cutter moves too quickly and stalls the truer if I just switch it on, I have to manually switch it on and off to keep the speed of the cutter at a reasonable level. I'm definitely getting by this way, but I don't expect the machine to last the season like this.

Trips
Old 12-06-2001, 07:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Trips: It sounds like you're describing the Automatic model. So there's no way to adjust the cutting tool manually???
Old 12-06-2001, 12:39 PM
Tech Elite

The model I have is actually an older Serpent Special, made by Hudy. It's not quite the same spec as Hudy's current automatic model. The only problem with it is the one bad gear reducer. They use three or four of them stacked in line to really slow the feed screw down. There's no way to manually operate the feed screw unless I remove all the gear reduction units and make some kind of crank, or remove the feed screw completely and slide the cutter by hand.

Trips
Old 12-06-2001, 03:38 PM
Tech Master

I have the smallest one made by Hudy. Work great but you cant do 1/8 scale wheels. Its not automatic but I dont see the purpose for that at all, more trouble then its worth. The blade is just a piece of a jigsaw blade. All you have to do is cut a section off to make a new one.
Old 12-26-2001, 11:25 PM
Tech Regular

trips, where can I get the tire adapter for Corally 1/12? I've got the Ofna Semi Auto