Search
Like Tree3Likes

VBC Lightning 12

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 06:12 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dr_hfuhuhurr
Are people using the inner or outer spring position?

When I was building I tried the outer, but the height of the rear stand-offs wouldn't allow the spring without having excessive pre-load. Are you using an extra set of the front stand-offs or what?
You have to add 2.5mm spacers to the rear stand-offs.
Old 12-13-2013, 08:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Originally Posted by robert s
Wanted to let everyone know that CRC and BSR tires will also fit, just have to trim a little off of the outer edge in rear so not to wide. I ran chrome fronts and Greylow rears at the U.S. Indoor champs in 17.5 blinky and won my main with the first time out witht he car
What would be your technique for trimming them. I current run bsr tires so I want to do that. Is any other solution? Would changing the rear axle help or is it the bulkheads that make the car wide?
Old 12-13-2013, 08:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Just put it on your tire truer and use an exacto knife, light pressure makes short work of it
Old 12-14-2013, 07:44 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default CRC or BSR tres on Lightning 12

Jerry,
As stated above, it is due to the pod design of the car. All you have to do is put on a tire truer and make sure the tire truer is turning away from you and take about a 32nd of an inch off of the outside edge with an exacto knife applying light pressure as mentioned above and then remember to put the radius back on them after and you are able to run the CRC or BSR tires on the car.

Robert
Old 12-14-2013, 06:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Thanks to Annie & VBC, a pair of replacement front arms arrived at my door today. nice!
Old 12-15-2013, 02:36 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Jerry P
What would be your technique for trimming them. I current run bsr tires so I want to do that. Is any other solution? Would changing the rear axle help or is it the bulkheads that make the car wide?
just put mine together today. how do you like it Jerry?
Old 12-15-2013, 05:03 PM
pbr
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Well Chris ( he's 14 ) got to run his lighting in his 2 nd race today.
He has run this car a total of 3 qualifiers & 1 A main before today. I built this car in about 4 hrs . Built very nice I had no problem with anything , except I didn't have enough oil in shock first time around . I did put it in a vacuume for about 5 minutes . I used 15 k crc in side tubes silver side springs and the 1 thick & 1 thin shim under shock. Using G 12 soft F&R tires . I set ride hight at 3.5 the best I could with the supplied arms .( Haven't revived the replacement set yet)
Now mind you Chris only had 1 practice with car today . This was a club race but the people that he ran against were running The Top cars with a lot of time with there cars . He qualified third. After leading most or the race he came in second that was decied at the finish line.
So I think that for 14 yr old to do that well its a dang good car.
Old 12-15-2013, 05:14 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

That's great to hear!
Up here in the PNW, our club (SRCR) had our 2nd Annual Can Am Challenge. We had over 120 entries and there was stiff competition in all classes, especially in stock 12th. I eeked into the show but made the wrong choice in tyre saucing technique and decided to watch from the sidelines 1:30 in.
But once again Dave Ehrlich was the show of the class. He sat on TQ, set a new track record and in the Main, held off another hard charging 1/12th ace Wes Briscoe to take the win. His Lightning was flawless!
Great job Ehrlich!!!
Old 12-15-2013, 05:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

Here's my lightning 12...did the final setup on it tonight (finally). Can't wait to get this on the track...still a couple weeks and it's killing me

I still have the proper slapmaster #101 spacer coming. Other than that car is beautiful! I need to get this car on the track. When I can't race, I tweak and spend. Running out of things to do...next will be another kit.
Attached Thumbnails VBC Lightning 12-2013-12-15-20.30.51.jpg   VBC Lightning 12-2013-12-15-20.31.10.jpg   VBC Lightning 12-2013-12-15-20.31.29.jpg   VBC Lightning 12-2013-12-15-20.31.43-large-.jpg  
Old 12-15-2013, 06:45 PM
Tech Elite

So I ran my car fairly box stock this weekend and it was pretty good. Only changes were 15k in the tubes and on the king pins. Ended up running the audi body. I'm not a fan of cutting the bsr rims so I'll be purchasing a bunch of Jaco wheels. I know every makes it sound easy to trim a wheel down but not for me. I guess I'm lame. Foam is easy to remove but plastic rim not so much. I feel like 1/12 is about being very accurate and at this point cutting a rim down in my hands will be anything but accurate. so all in all the car was good out of the box, lots of people took notice. I did end up doing the v2 AE arms.
Old 12-16-2013, 06:35 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)
Talking

So I ran my car fairly box stock this weekend and it was pretty good. Only changes were 15k in the tubes and on the king pins. Ended up running the audi body. I'm not a fan of cutting the bsr rims so I'll be purchasing a bunch of Jaco wheels. I know every makes it sound easy to trim a wheel down but not for me. I guess I'm lame. Foam is easy to remove but plastic rim not so much. I feel like 1/12 is about being very accurate and at this point cutting a rim down in my hands will be anything but accurate. so all in all the car was good out of the box, lots of people took notice. I did end up doing the v2 AE arms.
I'm with you on the cutting tires. Were you running the VBC or AE center shock?
Old 12-16-2013, 08:17 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by dr_hfuhuhurr
I'm with you on the cutting tires. Were you running the VBC or AE center shock?
I ran the VBC shock. I really need to understand if there is an axle out there that has narrower hubs. I have lots of research to do now.
Old 12-16-2013, 08:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

I ran the VBC shock. I really need to understand if there is an axle out there that has narrower hubs. I have lots of research to do now.
If I were in your position, I'd cut the 1/32" off each rear tire for the short term and wait for VBC to address the problem. Finding an axle with narrower hubs could lead to other problems (spur/pinion mesh, hub offset (R/L) relative to the centerline of the rear pod, and interference between the tire and the bottom plate immediately come to mind)... Cutting the outer edge of the tire is easier than you think once you've done it a few times.
Old 12-16-2013, 08:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Hey Jerry ,

Try This hub. It has a 3mm off set from IRS Racing:

http://teamirsrc.com/index.php?main_...roducts_id=133

Attached Thumbnails VBC Lightning 12-screenshot_360.jpg  
Old 12-16-2013, 10:25 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by oeoeo327
If I were in your position, I'd cut the 1/32" off each rear tire for the short term and wait for VBC to address the problem. Finding an axle with narrower hubs could lead to other problems (spur/pinion mesh, hub offset (R/L) relative to the centerline of the rear pod, and interference between the tire and the bottom plate immediately come to mind)... Cutting the outer edge of the tire is easier than you think once you've done it a few times.
I broke an exacto trying to do it the other day. Maybe a carpet knife would work better.

Originally Posted by mike ivy
Hey Jerry ,

Try This hub. It has a 3mm off set from IRS Racing:

http://teamirsrc.com/index.php?main_...roducts_id=133
Thanks Mike. I'll order one of those up and get a clamp on hub also. Being that the axle isnt changing there should be no issue with gear mesh like barry mentioned.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.