R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree3Likes

Old 11-17-2013, 10:30 AM   #121
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Hello,
I currently drive the Xray X12(last years edition) and was looking around (ie just looking) and saw this car. I have heard it mentioned at our local track, but have not heard much about it.
Here is what I like about this car, from what I have seen:
front king pins dont use e-clips
front blocks are aluminum
body posts have threaded adjustments
less costly for the car and the parts (although not necessary. I am just looking for best handling car).

I am an intermediate level driver who is trying to improve. I run 17.5 blinky. Here are my questions about this car:
1) my xray is above the minimum weight limit before I put on the body. How does this car do with weight?
2) 1 of the improvements in the new 2014 xray x12 is the use of straight rear side springs, instead of tapered. If this is a good thing, would they fit on the vbc car.
3) how durable is this car? I try to stay off the walls, but sometimes my brain does not react to the car as fast as the car does.
4) How hard is it to remove the battery for charging? I know that most people charge their batteries while in the car, but it is safer to charge the battery in a lipo bag.
5) In your honest opinion, how does this car compare to the Xray X12 2014, Top Rebel, V-design carpet ripper?

thanks.
Driving: Xray T4 2015, T.O.P. Rebel 12, Durango DEX8T, Durango DEX408 v2, Associated B5M, Associated B44.2

Last edited by rc_speed; 11-17-2013 at 03:01 PM.
rc_speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 09:44 AM   #122
Tech Elite

still have (2) in stock sold 8 this last weekend....
MAD916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:13 AM   #123
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Anyone know what weight the side damper tube oil is that comes with the kit?
Old 11-18-2013, 10:17 AM   #124
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 50 (98%+)
Send a message via AIM to micrors4guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD916 View Post
still have (2) in stock sold 8 this last weekend....
Tried to send you a pm but your box is full.

Looking to see if you have a set of shock ends so I can complete my kit for the race this weekend. It was missing the one the spring retainer sits on.
Old 11-18-2013, 12:59 PM   #125
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

I'm using Shurlube in my dampers tubes. In 17.5, which is closer to what you guys are using....red or green?
Btw, these tubes are the best I've seen on a pan car.

A E - 12R5.2 _ S M - REV8 PRO
JayBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 01:02 PM   #126
Tech Elite

I will look as soon as I get to the track this evening... had a big weekend at the track and sold a lot of lightning parts, but there is a chance. will PM you as soon as I have an answer, and we can ship it out in the morning
MAD916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 04:29 PM   #127
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to flameoutgarrett

The car is legit, I sat down at Dave's pit a few times a day and handled it, digging it more every time I look at it, it tq'd the timezone gp in stock, by a good margin, it definetly is a great car, stock and mod. The touring car is awesome too!
Old 11-18-2013, 05:42 PM   #128
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 50 (98%+)
Send a message via AIM to micrors4guy

here is mine minus the shock being connected
Old 11-19-2013, 09:49 AM   #129
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc_speed View Post
I am an intermediate level driver who is trying to improve. I run 17.5 blinky. Here are my questions about this car:
1) my xray is above the minimum weight limit before I put on the body. How does this car do with weight?
I am about to finish building my car this evening and will try to weigh it ASAP. As far as I am aware this car will weigh in similarly to the AE. Don't forget that battery and motor comprise a far larger portion of the overall weight than the chassis (for instance, the Orca being 20g lighter than the D3.5, etc).

Quote:
2) 1 of the improvements in the new 2014 xray x12 is the use of straight rear side springs, instead of tapered. If this is a good thing, would they fit on the vbc car.
The kit VBC spring retainers are very cool machined aluminum, but they are made for the VBC/AE springs and will not fit the xray/speed merchant linear side springs. Keep in mind you can always purchase a second crossbrace with the appropriate spring retainers from Speed Merchant, though, which would let you use the linear side springs on this car. Also note that the linear side springs are not really a clear improvement over the AE/VBC springs, and I would go so far as to mention that there are more top drivers out there who use the standard AE springs than who use the linear springs.

Quote:
3) how durable is this car? I try to stay off the walls, but sometimes my brain does not react to the car as fast as the car does.
I have not had a chance to run the car, but from what I have seen this car is very durable. I don't believe I saw anyone break parts at Timezone GP this past weekend.

Quote:
4) How hard is it to remove the battery for charging? I know that most people charge their batteries while in the car, but it is safer to charge the battery in a lipo bag.
You have to remove the front battery brace and the strapping tape. Two screws and about a minute of work.

Quote:
5) In your honest opinion, how does this car compare to the Xray X12 2014, Top Rebel, V-design carpet ripper?
While I think the new Xray is much improved over the past iteration, I think the VBC definitely has an edge. The TOP rebel is a very quick car, but doesn't have the same parts availability/standardization that the VBC has. The V-dezign is a very good car, but Vesa basically doesn't make them any more (so you are screwed if you break aluminum) and it uses a CRC front end that is (in my opinion) more fragile than the VBC/AE front end.

Feel free to let us know if you have any more questions, and I will be driving my Lightning at 5280 now that I have it in-hand.

Destiny | LRP America | Protoform | Xenon/JFT | Gravity RC | Motiv | Sanwa | Max.FX

Last edited by LloydLoar; 11-19-2013 at 10:01 AM.
LloydLoar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 09:55 AM   #130

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LloydLoar View Post
The V-dezign is a very good car, but Vesa basically doesn't make them any more (so you are screwed if you break aluminum or carbon) and it uses a CRC front end that is (in my opinion) more fragile than the VBC/AE front end.
Only point of correction here, is that the carbon parts are available for the V-Dezign, only parts it seems are not are the rear pod bulkheads. But he has stacks of carbon chassis, cross braces, etc...
Old 11-19-2013, 10:01 AM   #131
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clegg View Post
Only point of correction here, is that the carbon parts are available for the V-Dezign, only parts it seems are not are the rear pod bulkheads. But he has stacks of carbon chassis, cross braces, etc...
Thanks for the correction, I edited my post to match.

Destiny | LRP America | Protoform | Xenon/JFT | Gravity RC | Motiv | Sanwa | Max.FX
LloydLoar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 02:12 PM   #132
Tech Champion

Default :D

Finally got-r-dun...
Simple...easy...no fuss...and no surprises. Just had to add a .3mm shim under the center pivot assy to have the main chassis sit absolutely flat. Had some annoying flashing on the lower arms around the pivot balls but really not an issue. Besides these MINOR things, this kit was an fantastic build
Putting in my electronics took longer than the build Pretty tight in there, but I made sure to leave enough space to get wrenches in here and there.

Very nice piece of eye candy. Good job VBC

Old 11-20-2013, 11:11 AM   #133
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc_speed View Post
I should be picking my car up tomorrow or Friday and I will be doing what I did on my Associated 12R5.2. You dremel off the outer battery stops. This way the battery can be removed easily.

I did this on my 12R5.2 and never had issues with the battery coming loose without the stops (and believe me when I say I did try).

“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.” - John Wayne
dr_hfuhuhurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 02:29 PM   #134
Tech Champion

Is anyone running a rollover antenna on these cars. I haven't notice a hole for one.

Old 11-20-2013, 02:32 PM   #135
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

There's a hole...if you zoom into the picture above, you can see it.

I would ALWAYS run a rollover antenna, it can save a run.

“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.” - John Wayne
dr_hfuhuhurr is offline   Reply With Quote