R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree3Likes

Old 10-23-2016, 09:05 PM   #676
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aracefan View Post
Sorry, just saw your question from above. When you say 12L, if you mean Lightning 12, yes, it should work fine. And that would be better than filing down the battery stays on your standard in-line battery brace and using only tape. On the 12M brace - those two extra holes on the brace are where the body posts are now mounted. And now you have multiple locations for the side damper tubes. Only difference on the brace - other than you now mount your battery transverse instead of in-line. On the 12M, if you want to run the battery in-line you need to run the old brace.
Thanks again for your help.

BTW you new alum chassis is sweet
tekin112000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 07:58 AM   #677
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Quote:
Sorry, just saw your question from above. When you say 12L, if you mean Lightning 12, yes, it should work fine. And that would be better than filing down the battery stays on your standard in-line battery brace and using only tape. On the 12M brace - those two extra holes on the brace are where the body posts are now mounted. And now you have multiple locations for the side damper tubes. Only difference on the brace - other than you now mount your battery transverse instead of in-line. On the 12M, if you want to run the battery in-line you need to run the old brace.
Thanks! Going to order that brace. For testing I dremeled the stock brace and used tape. It worked fine and the car was very stable running a 13.5 motor.

Quote:
Got the Lightning 12M aluminum chassis and rear pod plate in. Pretty snazzy!!

Damn I was that chassis would work with my Lightning 12. Looks awesome though.
Old 11-02-2016, 10:00 PM   #678
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Well, after three race nights chasing the car, and breaking it three race nights in a row, the car was fantastic this evening. TQ and win tonight for the Lightning 12M, not bad as we had 11 racers turnout. I didn't have the fastest lap of the evening but was less than 2 tenths off FL. Main thing, car was unbelievably consistent and ended up finishing 3 laps ahead of 2nd and 3rd after the 8 minute main.

I beat three Xray 2016's (one had FL), four 12R5.2's, a 12R5.1 (what my 12M replaced) , and two CRC Xti's. I'm the only one at our track that runs VBC, and an aluminum chassis.

This chassis is beautiful and a work of art (if you're into R/C stuff)
I really think this chassis helped with the consistency of the handling, and for $58, it was worth it (they're $49 right now on VBCRacing USA site)

For the setup, I started with kit setup, but have been altering it as I have run it, unfortunately, that hasn't been much since I kept breaking things. I will say the the 3x15mm turnbuckle that comes in the kit are crap, I put the super steel ones on and haven't had an issue - 'course the car is handling better than in the beginning. I put Team Associated diff lube in the side tubes, took almost all the preload off the center shock, moved the side springs back into the inner setting (I had them over the side links originally like my 12R5.1). Went from 3mm ride height to ~3.5mm in the front. Kept the rear at 3mm. Also, changed the caster from the stock 3.25* to 6.15* (really slowed the steering down and made it less "nervous"). Tires are Graylow rear at 38.5mm, and the fronts are Whites at about 38, maybe just a whisker under.

Again though, the car was great, after just one full race night (wasn't able to run an entire night because I was breaking things I didn't have replacements for) it is already on par with my old 12R5.1 which I had almost 6 months of setup on. This chassis has me excited to keep pushing it. So much so that I bought another one.

Another thing that I was happy with was how I was able to "race" close to other cars. I was able to really push them and force them into a mistake or something so I could get by. The car was really "planted" and that is something I haven't really had with other cars. Again, the car was so consistent and predictable. Was so much fun to drive a car that "works".

Anyway, really looking forward to next Wednesday race night.
Old 11-02-2016, 10:08 PM   #679
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

That's great news! I'm glad it's working out for you!
EDWARD2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 10:32 PM   #680
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDWARD2003 View Post
That's great news! I'm glad it's working out for you!
Thanks a ton for your help Edward. Sorry I never responded back to your pm. We run 17.5 at our track, btw. I really, really appreciate you taking the time to help out.

It was a lot of fun tonight, as there are probably 3-4 of us that could win on any given night - really says a lot about the car that I was 3 laps ahead of two of those guys that I'm frequently chasing. One of them wasn't there tonight. Was a ton of fun, though. i really did buy another one too. Going to get it setup for 13.5 mod. All of us at the track are still ironing out what exactly we want to run mod wise.

Thanks again Edward!!
Old 11-26-2016, 03:44 AM   #681
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

To the guys running the ally chassis and pod, what grip level would you say it would be a benefit?
goldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 04:24 AM   #682
Tech Elite

Quote:
Thanks a ton for your help Edward. Sorry I never responded back to your pm. We run 17.5 at our track, btw. I really, really appreciate you taking the time to help out.

It was a lot of fun tonight, as there are probably 3-4 of us that could win on any given night - really says a lot about the car that I was 3 laps ahead of two of those guys that I'm frequently chasing. One of them wasn't there tonight. Was a ton of fun, though. i really did buy another one too. Going to get it setup for 13.5 mod. All of us at the track are still ironing out what exactly we want to run mod wise.

Thanks again Edward!!
Anytime! I'm glad everything is working out in your favor. Sorry for the late reply too! Ha!

Enjoy!
Old 11-26-2016, 04:26 AM   #683
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldy View Post
To the guys running the ally chassis and pod, what grip level would you say it would be a benefit?
High traction such as CRC newest carpet or heavily black grooves carpet. Carbon chassis works well on low-medium grip.
Old 11-26-2016, 06:00 AM   #684
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDWARD2003 View Post
High traction such as CRC newest carpet or heavily black grooves carpet. Carbon chassis works well on low-medium grip.
Ok, I thought as much, thank you for confirming. Would you say kit set up is a good starting point for Low/ medium grip?
goldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 03:02 PM   #685
Tech Rookie

Hi everyone, i recently registered on this forum and i saw this thread searching for some information for my Lightning12 v2. I was wondering if anyone could tell me a good/cheap VBC European distributor to get some spares and also tools for it (i realised how bad my standard tools are for working with this.
On the other hand, im trying to remove few bolts but they are almost solded (first owner did a not very good job...) any trick for them?
Thx in advance
Cheerss
Diego R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 01:34 AM   #686
Tech Adept

You can try Toni sport. They are in Germany. They have great service and pricing.
Ted Su(TW) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 05:18 PM   #687
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Su(TW) View Post
You can try Toni sport. They are in Germany. They have great service and pricing.
Thank you mate!
Diego R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 08:44 AM   #688
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

VBCracing.com's main site will ship World Wide for pretty cheap. Comes from HK so it will take a bit longer.

Last edited by Nexus; 12-12-2016 at 09:00 AM.
Nexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 06:19 PM   #689
Tech Elite

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcAiAkAe6mQ

Video of my current setup and modifications used.
Old 12-19-2016, 04:46 AM   #690
Tech Elite

My latest setup for the VBC 12/12M will be posted on Petit RC sometime soon. Just a few words about the setup.

I've gone to a softer setup with damper (228cst) and side tube (7000 cst) oils. Damper spring (Kit gold) and side springs (CRC 0.45 mm).

I've also done away with the 12M rear pod setup and tried something different. At the moment I'm running a Lightning FX rear pod plate which allows for a slight angle in the side links that generates rear-steer. The aluminum bulkheads and cross brace are from a Lightning 12. The upper damper mount is a direct bolt on.

I am pretty confident and I will test this that the FXM rear pod will bolt directly on without any issues. This will allow me to continue to run the unique ride height setup and with rear steer.

That's it for now.

The car is getting better and better each time I take it out.