Quote:
Originally Posted by bama racer View Post
I see a few VBC in the 12th scale mod A main at the nats. Good luck guys
Yeah! Dave Ehrlich is doing great!
Old 03-02-2014, 05:23 PM   #437
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 50 (98%+)
Send a message via AIM to micrors4guy

for those who have tries the springs inboard and out. What were your handling findings?

I am at a point with the car where it was good the 1st time out and made a couple small changes and it was just awe-full the last time I raced it.

I have cone back to my old setting and will see what I can make happen.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:59 AM   #438
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Here is my setup sheet from the 2014 ROAR Carpet Nats:

http://chrishillier.com/wp/wp-conten...ch_02_2014.pdf

Dave's setup was a little bit different, as he ran different tube lube, springs, and a slightly different front-end setup.

My setup was good, but lacked a little bit of on-power steering. Most of that was because we spent so much time trying to make sure the cars would last a full eight minutes due to the traction, that I think we made them too safe. Things to try for MHIC!

Destiny | LRP America | Protoform | Xenon/JFT | Gravity RC | Motiv | Sanwa | Max.FX
LloydLoar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 07:58 AM   #439
Tech Apprentice

Anyone have an outdoor asphalt setup?
Mornedn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 08:14 AM   #440
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mornedn View Post
Anyone have an outdoor asphalt setup?
Soften the rear and use a TR-12 body. All of this depends on traction and the racing surface; you may find that you can stick with normal tire compounds (blues, greens, magenta, pinks, etc), but you might also find that you need to change to some of the more low-traction/asphalt specific compounds such as the B-series from Pro One/BSR or the Y/Z series from Ulti.

Sadly we really don't have a whole lot of outdoor tracks here in the US that are suitable for 12th scale, so you might need to wait for input from folks in Asia. I know that at outdoor nationals last year Cyrul was using J-series tires from Ulti, which are similar to normal magenta/pink.

Destiny | LRP America | Protoform | Xenon/JFT | Gravity RC | Motiv | Sanwa | Max.FX
Old 03-20-2014, 06:17 PM   #441
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Will the center springs from a assocatied fit the VBC?
bama racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 07:34 PM   #442
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 50 (98%+)
Send a message via AIM to micrors4guy

No
Old 03-24-2014, 08:32 AM   #443
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to valk Send a message via AIM to valk Send a message via MSN to valk

Kinda threw something together from my two lightnings this weekend and managed to finish second overall at irocc this week between blake and craig.
13.5 but was running more mod setup which seemed to work as our traction isn't super high.
Top three finished 44 laps 8:00/8:03/8:07. Pretty happy.
www.irocc.ca - www.wcics.ca - www.vrcworld.com - http://proampsrc.com/ - www.teamassociated.com
valk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 09:50 AM   #444
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by valk View Post
Kinda threw something together from my two lightnings this weekend and managed to finish second overall at irocc this week between blake and craig.
13.5 but was running more mod setup which seemed to work as our traction isn't super high.
Top three finished 44 laps 8:00/8:03/8:07. Pretty happy.
Good to hear! Feel free to post a setup if you are comfortable sharing.

I also had a pretty good run this past weekend at the Extreme Carpet Race held here in Fort Collins, CO at the E-Team Hobbyplex. I qualified 2nd in 13.5 12th behind Team CRC's Brian Wynn, but went on to win the main. Considering it was my only goal for the weekend, and also the only class that Dumper didn't win, I am pretty happy with it!

Setup sheet is here:

http://chrishillier.com/wp/wp-conten...ch_23_2014.pdf

It is very similar to previous setups, just with a softer center spring, more static caster, and a different tire combination.

Old 03-24-2014, 10:31 AM   #445
Tech Master

Send a message via ICQ to valk Send a message via AIM to valk Send a message via MSN to valk

Ill have to take the car apart to.make setup info lol. I took the main chassis/front end from mod car and just dropped my 13.5 pod in as I couldn't be bothered to reshoegoo things lol.

Running maxs feont end from iic plus or minus .01 and crc 50s all around. Ill take a good look when I get home.

The thing I was mosy impressed with is blake didn't really run away from me. He is super awesome driver with like 20 years on me. Season is almost done but already looking forward to next indoor season!
I'd love to support vbc racing in touring as well but I just can't afford a new car this year =[
Mazda needs like $2000 spent on it. My outdoor season is a write off pretty much.
www.irocc.ca - www.wcics.ca - www.vrcworld.com - http://proampsrc.com/ - www.teamassociated.com
Old 03-24-2014, 11:49 AM   #446
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Guys if anyone is interested i have a vbc lightning with, 12r5.2 lower arms, ti camber links, futaba 9650 servo, hobbywing single cell speedo (the older one), EAM single cell pack. Looking to get 260 shipped priority mail to the lower 48. PM if you want pictures or are interested. It'll get posted in the trader soon. Going outside and i dont need a 1/12 right now.

www.awesomatixusa.com
Jerry P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 07:42 PM   #447
Tech Master

Here is the setup i ran on the weekend. i actually didnt mess with the setup at all all night. car was locked to the track and seemed to change direction fast enough to keep on pace iwth the two fastest in my club.
ill just mess with rollout and timing next week.
when i was reading the reedy sonic through, a lot of those guys like to crank the timing way up in blinky..
ive found my motor does NOT like that at all. if i go much higher than 34 it just gets hot and drives like a dog. ive gone all the way down to 83 rollout with the 40+ timing and just cant get a car i like to drive.
i slow down a lot, use brakes ect, generally drive the car like a mod car. it allows me to hug the apexes and keep tighter lines.

people have told me i shouldnt slow down so much but meh. ive also learned you have to be careful who you take advice from lol.
maybe the punch and amps from teh hobbywing is just too much if im running very high static timing on the reedy.. but seems 32 is the timing sweet spot for me at our 90/48ft track.

the season will soon be over. next year ill have a fully assembled mod car all the time and not vulture equipment around.
I did buy two lightnings and have only run the two a few times due to lack of single cell escs.
every time i put the tekin back in to run stock i have a shitty night lol. chasing the hp i seemed to be missing.

some people say spec is supposed to bring racers closer? i think mod does it. at least for me.
Attached Thumbnails
VBC Lightning 12-lightning-setup.jpg  
Old 04-11-2014, 06:46 PM   #448
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Where do I get replacement body posts? Are they interchangeable with RC 12r5.2? Or can I get any body posts?
seefil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 08:08 PM   #449
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to flameoutgarrett

I used some top ones I had laying around, so I assume any will work
Old 04-11-2014, 08:21 PM   #450
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameoutgarrett View Post
I used some top ones I had laying around, so I assume any will work