Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Like Tree3Likes

Old 02-13-2014, 01:17 PM   #406
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph m View Post
Very nice wiring job too!
Couldn't do it that way without that TQ wire...

“Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid.” - John Wayne
dr_hfuhuhurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 01:26 PM   #407
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_hfuhuhurr View Post
Finally getting this out this weekend! WOOHOO! Just dropped some fresh paint as well.

Also loaded pictures of the car centered, and at full left and full right lock.
Car looks great! As others have said, nice job with the wiring!

The first recommendation I would make is to use the lower holes on the servo saver, as this will help make sure the links aren't angled downwards from the inside->outside. Second would be to shim the servo forward a bit, as right now it looks like your steering links are angled towards the back of the car. Hopefully this makes sense.

Destiny | LRP America | Protoform | Xenon/JFT | Gravity RC | Motiv | Sanwa | Max.FX
LloydLoar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 01:33 PM   #408
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by LloydLoar View Post
Car looks great! As others have said, nice job with the wiring!

The first recommendation I would make is to use the lower holes on the servo saver, as this will help make sure the links aren't angled downwards from the inside->outside. Second would be to shim the servo forward a bit, as right now it looks like your steering links are angled towards the back of the car. Hopefully this makes sense.
Thanks for the props and the suggestions. The servo is positioned properly front to back. They are perfectly in-line with the ball links with no angle.

There's almost no angle also horizontally as I've added shims under the ball studs to take out that angle. I'll take a look at the lower holes though, thanks.

Old 02-13-2014, 01:40 PM   #409
Tech Master

Quote:
Thanks for the props and the suggestions. The servo is positioned properly front to back. They are perfectly in-line with the ball links with no angle.

There's almost no angle also horizontally as I've added shims under the ball studs to take out that angle. I'll take a look at the lower holes though, thanks.
Sounds good re: servo fore and aft. From the photos it is hard to tell

Wrt the servo saver and shims on the steering blocks, adding shims on the blocks can just sometimes cause problems with the rim rubbing the ball cup at extreme steering throw, that's all. If you can lower the entire link by removing the shims and using the lower holes in the servo saver you can help avoid those issues, that's all.

Destiny | LRP America | Protoform | Xenon/JFT | Gravity RC | Motiv | Sanwa | Max.FX
Old 02-13-2014, 02:21 PM   #410
Tech Elite

Problem with using the lower holes is the ball cups rub the servo saver when using that position.

Quote:
Sounds good re: servo fore and aft. From the photos it is hard to tell

Wrt the servo saver and shims on the steering blocks, adding shims on the blocks can just sometimes cause problems with the rim rubbing the ball cup at extreme steering throw, that's all. If you can lower the entire link by removing the shims and using the lower holes in the servo saver you can help avoid those issues, that's all.

Old 02-13-2014, 02:23 PM   #411
Tech Master

Quote:
Problem with using the lower holes is the ball cups rub the servo saver when using that position.
Yep, sorry. Forgot to mention that you will need to take a dremel to the servo saver to get the clearance.

Old 02-13-2014, 04:02 PM   #412
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 50 (98%+)
Send a message via AIM to micrors4guy

here is a pic of mine. I will be sending off the purple motor parts to get annod black or will be stripping them soon.

Old 02-15-2014, 10:02 PM   #413
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Max K

I feel like I should post a picture of my car with all these car pics being posted lately!
Old 02-16-2014, 12:30 AM   #414
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to valk Send a message via AIM to valk Send a message via MSN to valk

Well, i guess it cant apply pdf files as attachments, too big..

Ran the car again tonight 13.5 with much better results. I ran the car Transverse and i definitely like it better overall. taped the battery down butted against the rear brace.
Was trying to find a setup that would work with greylow/black tires but my only set of black fronts got very low.. almost to glue and i had to go back to magenta green setup, or double pink jaco, crc green.

I was told this setup would lock the car down too much and it did, so i looked to loosten things up some with the suspension.

the biggest changes came to the kingpin shimming and spring choices. I switchd all four side spring corners to crc 50s which i think really made the car work with greylow/black. with the stock springs, being 55s it would washout way too easily but this change alone made it driveable.

I should also mention the transverse layout is tits. i had a hard time with traction with the above mentioned tire combo but transverse and softer springs brought it back..

of course, i only got one heat with that before switching back to mod tires. i had to add 0.8 mm to the lower kingpin to space the crc spring, added 0.8 above steering block to take out a bunch of the front droop that was there stock, like a mm plus of front droop is way too much.
only 0.8mm left on the upper arm but might add some more angle if i stick to this tire combination, as well as going down in the static caster to try to get it to pull the car around when off the throttle better.

magenta green was very safe to drive but these changes to the front gave it back some of the twitch i missed from my old asc car.

the rest of the setup is fairly standard i think;
50wt 2 hole son the center with stock spring, 20k lube in the tubes. I also added 0.8mm per side of the rear axle which probably helped some and was running the lower shock position with only 2mm spacer.

so a few weeks ago i was struggling to finish a heat or make the main, qualified third and finished third overall. a full lap down to craig and blake, but the the only thing keeping me close to those guys would be a outlaw motor lol. 20+ years against my 3 just isnt gonna happen.

thus far im happy with the car. next time out i might try magenta blue, as well as have my mod car together. im sure most of the setup here will go on there, though i never had the problems with mod that ive had in stock.
www.irocc.ca - www.wcics.ca - www.vrcworld.com - http://proampsrc.com/ - www.teamassociated.com

Last edited by valk; 02-16-2014 at 12:47 AM.
valk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 04:02 PM   #415
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Do it. Now.

Here are some words I wrote about it, if you are interested:

http://chrishillier.com/wp/?p=87

But more importantly, here is the setup sheet:

http://chrishillier.com/wp/wp-conten...eb_09_2014.pdf

I don't know anyone else who has tried the Gravity rears, but from what Max K has told me, the rear width should be right at 172 with the BSR offset (2 mm) which I believe is the same as Gravity.

I just saw this, Thanks LloydLoar
bama racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 10:39 PM   #416
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by valk View Post

thus far im happy with the car. next time out i might try magenta blue, as well as have my mod car together. im sure most of the setup here will go on there, though i never had the problems with mod that ive had in stock.
For mod I would defiantly put the side springs out on the links with ASC black. then start with 10k in the tubes. 3mm under rear of shock. Lower shock mount hole. For the front end I would start with my front end setup from IIC but go to 10 degree caster block. if you want the car to be edgy then go to Magenta front Blue rear. If you want it more balanced run Pink or Blue front with Blue rear. All this would be for the offset inline standard battery position. If I were to run transverse I would also start with this setup.
Old 02-16-2014, 11:31 PM   #417
Tech Elite

Send a message via ICQ to valk Send a message via AIM to valk Send a message via MSN to valk

not sure how asc and crcs new springs compare but ive moved the springs outward and have put crc 45s on to start. crc 55s up front which i suppose are the same as stock but lets me keep the cars closer in shimming.
shimming kingpins.. i see you have a lot of shimming up top. is there a difference in top or bottom shimming?
i added to the bottom to take up slack from the shorter springs, but is adding them up top the exact same thing?

ill definitely have to try blues. might give just that little kick from the backside i was looking for. i could power up the corner full tilt, left off COMPLETELY and not spin out heh. in 13.5 of course... heh.
www.irocc.ca - www.wcics.ca - www.vrcworld.com - http://proampsrc.com/ - www.teamassociated.com
Old 02-17-2014, 05:24 AM   #418
Tech Elite

First day running the car finally. If you're building the car new, don't bother putting in the aluminum camber links...just put toothpicks in there, they will hold up longer. Replaced the front end plastics with associated pieces and some titanium camber links from 3 Racing and everything was solid.

The center shock is taking some getting used to but I think it has potential, I'm not giving up on it yet.

Running 13.5 blinky:
- Went from 350wt w/Med Spring to 700wt (XRay oil) w/Med-Hard spring and it was much better
- Swapped out the front springs for AE .020's

Overall the car was good, but it had a bit of push still and didn't feel as solid as my Associated 5.2.

I need to find some additional springs for the center, some differnt shock oils and maybe play with the side springs a bit.

Old 02-17-2014, 07:19 AM   #419
Tech Elite

I'd say the plastics are just fine after titanium turnbuckles. Different side springs definitely though. I bought the vbc ones but they fit too tight to retainers and deform when pulling them off.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:47 AM   #420
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by valk View Post
not sure how asc and crcs new springs compare but ive moved the springs outward and have put crc 45s on to start. crc 55s up front which i suppose are the same as stock but lets me keep the cars closer in shimming.
shimming kingpins.. i see you have a lot of shimming up top. is there a difference in top or bottom shimming?
i added to the bottom to take up slack from the shorter springs, but is adding them up top the exact same thing?

ill definitely have to try blues. might give just that little kick from the backside i was looking for. i could power up the corner full tilt, left off COMPLETELY and not spin out heh. in 13.5 of course... heh.
Yes, it does the same thing. It adjusts how much droop you have up front. CRC 55s are like a .22 ASC spring. I have never run anything harder than a .20 ASC on this car. I know Ehrlich has even ran .19 and .18 ASC springs in spec.

Blue Blue was really popular in 13.5 at snowbirds. Blue rear was the tire of choice in Mod. Then it just depends on how much front steering you want. I like a smooth car that pushes a little so I ran Pink front.