R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric On-Road

Old 09-16-2013, 04:45 AM   #16
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Skiddins View Post
There is also the issue that when running on carpet, the chassis can catch on the carpet during a turn.
By smoothing the edges the the chassis won't try to 'dig in' when rubbing on the carpet, causing handling issues.

I smooth out every single 'edge' on the underside so that they all feel smooth with no sharp edges when I run my hand along the underside of the chassis.

+1 to that. And I also make sure I radius the edge where the battery tape fits, to minimise the chance of it cutting through the tape.

If I do seal the chassis with CA, then I put a drop on the chassis edge and spread it along with a cotton bud (Q-Tip?) until it won't spread any further, then repeat until its done.

On older chassis, such as early 90's, you used to see a yellow strand in the carbon. This was a Kevlar thread and was used for alignment purposes during the layup. Kevlar liked to absorb water, which would then lead to delamition. So sealing would have been important.

We don't see the kevlar strand any more as it has been discontinued due to component failures in the aerospace industry as a result of the water ingress.
Paul Lomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 06:13 PM   #17
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by TeamThibault View Post
how do you guys do your edges?

sand , ca glue ,sand with 800?
These are the steps I personally follow:
Sand with 800.
CA Glue.
Sand with 800.
Sand with 2000.

Here is a link with pictures for each step:
Shiloh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 06:36 PM   #18
Tech Master
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to valk Send a message via AIM to valk Send a message via MSN to valk

you guys are quite dedicated ha.
when i assemble cars i usually sand the edges with 320-400 firm sanding sponge. seal it, scuff it when dry and repeat as many times as needed to cover the laminations. I dont round the edges too much. maybe a half mil chamfer is all i will do. Two layers of CA is usually enough.
i dont glob the ca on though. i put a little on, and wipe it into the cf with a paper towel. this limits the amount of overspill on the flat surfaces and spreads it out nice and evenly.
just like staining wood really.

ive tried color, but havent had good success with water based paints anyway. lacquers or enamel might go on nicer with the brush. if im feeling ambitious on my next build, i might tape the chassis faces and spray finish the edges with some color.
My stuff
Sanwa M12 - Xray T4/16 - Xray Nt1/16 - CRC XTI-WC - ProAMPS - Hobbywing - ReVTECH - ORCA
www.irocc.ca - www.wcics.ca - www.vrcworld.com
valk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 06:41 PM   #19
Tech Addict
Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

You can still get kevlar thread on ebay, they still use it for fly fishing lures.

bizkit1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 06:43 PM   #20
Tech Addict
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Anyone who's ever had a carbon fiber splinter will never again question sealing the edges of your chassis.
My wallet sponsors the following companies: Tekno, X-Factory, Schuur Speed, Tekin, SDRC
B4.1 (retired)
Tekno SCT410, Schuur Speed 4300KV, Tekin RX8, Reedy 7000mah
X-Factory Cubed #163, Schuur Speed 17.5, Tekin RS Gen 2, XP1015, Reedy 4100 Shorty
RazzBarlow7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 01:04 PM   #21
Tech Master

Ouch!!! ...that just sounds painful.
eR1c is offline   Reply With Quote