Old 09-15-2013, 10:06 AM
Tech Addict

Default perfect carbon fibre edges

how do you guys do your edges?

sand , ca glue ,sand with 800?
Old 09-15-2013, 10:16 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Pretty much. Be patient and don't overdo it.
Old 09-15-2013, 10:57 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

First sand edges and then dust off.
Next use a black sharpy, let dry and seal with super glue.
Old 09-15-2013, 11:32 AM
Tech Fanatic

I sand wet with 1k paper and seal with blue locktite.
Old 09-15-2013, 12:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)

Follow this... Anything else is simply wrong.

Blue Locktite? No.

http://www.teamcrc.com/crc/modules.p...rder=0&thold=0
Old 09-15-2013, 12:19 PM
Tech Regular

blue locktite!?
Old 09-15-2013, 01:18 PM
Tech Regular

2 or 3 layers of CA, wet sand 800, wet sand 2000, polish with 3M rubbing compound on foam applicator pad.

Always wet sand, carbon dust is really bad for you. Like others have said take your time.
Old 09-15-2013, 02:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Here you go.

Originally Posted by Buckaroo

1. Sand the edges first with 320 grit
2. Seal with CA and let it sit for 24 hours
3. Sand down any rough parts caused by the CA
4. Color the edges with an Elmers Painter brand paint pen ($3 from WalMart) and let sit for 24 hours
5. Seal the paint with another layer of CA

I've used just about everything you can imagine, including 4 other brands of paint and nail polish. What I've posted above not only gives one coat coverage, but also stands up to every bang you can imagine (indoors and out), and can be easily and quickly spot touched up when/if necessary.

I use ultra thin CA one drop at a time, angling the carbon plate so that the drop hangs off of the chassis, and I help it along with a paperclip. Doing it that way minimizes the chance of any slip up. I'm a little OCD with some things, so even the inside edges of the carbon plates are CA sealed. I hang everything up with hooks made from paper clips.

The Elmers Painter brand paint pen is super easy to use, and always seems to color match very well, in addition to being very robust, cheap, lasts forever, and easy to find in the craft section of WalMart. Every other paint that I've used either was too brittle when dry or took too many coats to cover. Probably not necessary to have 24 hours between each step, but it lets me break it into easy steps.

Old 09-15-2013, 04:35 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

All of these procedures are not necessary to keep the edges from splitting... Leave it alone, and go Racing !
Old 09-15-2013, 04:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bertrandsv87
All of these procedures are not necessary to keep the edges from splitting... Leave it alone, and go Racing !
Closer to the truth than many want to think. Of the few carbon fiber pieces Ive' had fail none of them would have been saved by prepping.
Old 09-15-2013, 07:22 PM
Tech Elite

Nobody on this thread said anything about sealing the edges to prevent splitting. In my opinion it does help keep the chassis from de-laminating in small crashes, but that's not why I seal the edges. Some guys just like to make their car builds look good and are not always in a rush to get the car on the track. I doubt that the blue on the edges of Buckaroo's 10R5 make it stronger or faster but it sure looks nice
Old 09-15-2013, 07:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

If y'all don't know, OD is the Jedi Master of CF sealing. I bet he has sealed more chassis than I have owned! And they all look better sealed than they did straight out of the package, which is more than I can say for most of the jobs I see done.

The blue above looks nice though!
Old 09-15-2013, 07:43 PM
Tech Initiate

Ya, think it is more a "look" issue. As properly made carbon fiber will should not delaminate easily. If you hit it hard enough to delaminate just split. Sealing the edge will not help much.............. BTW: Blue sure look very cool.
Old 09-16-2013, 03:01 AM
Tech Regular

Coming from a composite laminating background, sealing CF is actually rather important

your chassis plates etc out of the factory come, to a better term, unfinished, the laminates of the carbon fibre are simply laminated, baked, packed and sent off to stores, sanding the edges smooth and sealing with CA may not save your Carbon piece from splitting/cracking etc but it certainly will lower the chances, especially of de-lamination as there is no proud edges to catch and tear.
Old 09-16-2013, 03:43 AM
Tech Elite

There is also the issue that when running on carpet, the chassis can catch on the carpet during a turn.
By smoothing the edges the the chassis won't try to 'dig in' when rubbing on the carpet, causing handling issues.

I smooth out every single 'edge' on the underside so that they all feel smooth with no sharp edges when I run my hand along the underside of the chassis.

Skiddins

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.