Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TC 6.1 World Car - Need shopping List for xmas

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2013, 07:40 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default TC 6.1 World Car - Need shopping List for xmas

It's been a while since I've posted here but everyone was so helpful this was the first place I returned for another round of help.

My son wants a touring/drifter for Christmas and we enjoy the "process" of building the cars together. There are not many option out there and the best of them seems to be the TC6.1.

He is 12 so we're not looking to make something that's screaming down the road but rather something with decent speed and allows him to learn how to drive and has room to mod faster with a new motor later on. He races with his friends in a parking lot but nothing organized, this is just a shits and giggles car.

I'm looking for a suggested shopping list of things to put together before Christmas time and hopefully I can pick up some used stuff on the cheap like a radio and put more into SC and motor.

What I need;

1. Speed Control and Motor combo
2. Lipo
3. Servo
4. Source for a pre-painted body. I've painted a few and they look like grade school art class.

Thanks for any help,

Mark
Old 09-02-2013, 08:37 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

That is quite expensive for just a shits and giggles car. I just picked up a used ta05 for the fraction of that amount, basically brand new. Hobbywing, novak, tekin, fantom, trinity and castle all make good motors. Smc makes very cheap-but good quality packs. I like savox servos, I also do like futaba, and hitec too. Better to paint your own body, even a rattle can job is going to be more cost effective that prepainted. When I looked on ebay a nice, professionally prepainted body was 75-200 dollars. Maybe it's. different from other places though.
Old 09-02-2013, 09:33 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I'd look at the Spec-R r1/s1 for something like this. Doesn't break the bank and can be a pretty competitive chassis. R1 is carbon fiber and the s1 isn't.

A Hobbywing Justock is 49.95 on falconsekido.com and is the best bang for buck ESC you can buy. I know guys that switched from $200 ESCs to the Justock because of how good it is.

A Turnigy Trackstar 13.5/17.5 motor from Hobbyking.com is a great value motor. At about $35 shipped, it's very hard to beat. I prefer my Turnigy 17.5 to all the Trinity motors I've run in the past. Very fast and stays cool. Perfect for a basher.

SMC lipos are very reasonably priced as well.

A savox 1251-mg is a solid servo for about $50. Be sure to use a receiver cap bc these can be a bit power hungry and cause brown outs.

So basically....

ESC - Hobbywing Justock from Falconsekido
Motor - Turnigy trackstar 13.5/17.5 depending on how fast he wants to go.
Servo - Savox 1251MG
Chassis - Spec-R R1/S1. R1 is about $300 and all carbon fiber. S1 is about $130 or so.
Body - you can find prepainted bodies from Speedpassion USA or eBay.

That's what I would put together on a budget.
Old 09-02-2013, 01:19 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I had nothing but trouble with that Savox servo. For twenty bucks more you can get one of the best Futaba servos you can get that will cause you zero problems. This is especially true with Spektrum radios. Unfortunately I found out the hard way (before it was known) that these don't work we'll without the cap. Even with the cap I had problems. Unfortunately the brown out caused my Car not to respond to my steering input and my car nailed the a wall at the end of the straightaway causing extensive damage to my TC6 and damaging the battery that did catch on fire pretty much destroying my car, receiver , esc and the battery . Due yourself a favor. Get a servo that doesn't require q cap to function correctly. I had a 9550 that I ran for years with zero problems and everyone was hailing this servo that saved me $20 but cost me around $700 in a ruined car .
Old 09-16-2013, 09:18 AM
Tech Rookie

I thought the TC6.2 was due out soon? I would think the price of the TC6.1 kit would drop when the new version is released?

Does anyone have any info on that? I was looking for a 6.1 but waiting to see if the price dropped.
Old 09-16-2013, 04:38 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mungo
I thought the TC6.2 was due out soon? I would think the price of the TC6.1 kit would drop when the new version is released?

Does anyone have any info on that? I was looking for a 6.1 but waiting to see if the price dropped.
Good idea... If it happens, you never know. But when the b4/t4. 2 were released the price of a .1 did come down a bit.